main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Red Letter Media and other Prequel Reviews

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Obi-Wan McCartney, Feb 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Wow, you were you shaking your fist at CGI when you were six years old? That might be the record for the youngest O-O-OTer.

2. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Busted... [face_laugh]

3. Samuel Vimes

Samuel Vimes Force Ghost star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    The ones I know about are;
    Butch and Sundance: The Early Days (1979)
    Amityville II: The Possession (1982)
    Missing in Action 2: The Beginning (1985)
    Zulu Dawn (1979)
    Davy Crockett and the River Pirates (1956)
    Some of the Planets of the Apes movies are in part prequels, "Escape, Conquest and Battle" all take place before the first film but they are also in part sequels as characters from the earlier films appear.

Certainly the PT have made prequel films more common but they did exist before, if in a limited number.

Bye.
    Blackboard Monitor

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  4. windu4

windu4 Jedi Master star 4

May 15, 2008
    I thought I wouldn't have to spell this out because I guess I have to since you're so intent on nitpicking what I'm saying.

1) Clearly my opinion didn't formulate until I was around 11 or 12 or when I was a bit older when I had developed enough to analyze movies a little.
    2) People don't often go to the movies just to see little kids as a protagnist. Unless these kids parts are well written and they can actually act (in my opinion neither was the case).
    3) Often little kids look up to adults because adults have it "all together" or at least seem to have it all together. I am more inclined to look up to something I can become not some little kid.

Same reasons as I listed above. I don't see why I had to spell that out for you.

5. windu4

windu4 Jedi Master star 4

May 15, 2008
    I am aware of what these movies are designed for and I don't need to be told that. I understand. I really do. But just because you feel these movies are "designed for children" does not mean I get to give them a pass. I don't have to and I'm not obligated to.

Again. That's something I don't need to be told. I understand there are different perspectives on the PT.

6. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    Based on your posts, I felt it was something that needed to be emphasized. When you say that someone's opinion is "ridiculous," you do (whether you intend to or not) denigrate someone else's judgement and elevate your own above theirs. If you want to have a meaningful dialogue, then such tactics have to be abandoned. For example, my favorite Star Wars character is Anakin and I find characters such as Han to be utterly boring, adding nothing meaningful to the story. But I wouldn't tell someone that their opinion is "ridiculous" if they perceived the opposite -- if Han was their favorite character and they despised Anakin (which I have seen to be the case).

I don't doubt that you understand that there are different perspectives. What I am asking you to do, however, is give those perspectives equal weight to your own. That was the intention behind my post and why I stated "those different perspectives are just as legitimate as your own."

7. son_of_skywalker03

son_of_skywalker03 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    Born in 93? Well, that makes a few things more understandable. It's been said that when we grow up it is time to put away "childish things." Well, one of those things is attemtping to act beyond your age. Continuing to hold onto elements of your childhood; say, a love for a movies series, isn't childish. What's childish is attemtping to put down the thoughts and opinions of others.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  8. Legacy Jedi Endordude

Legacy Jedi Endordude Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 9, 2012
    How on earth was Han Uterly boring!?!?! I disagree with that point!;)

He was over rated though.

9. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    Utterly boring was probably a little harsh. I am amused by some of Han's antics at times. I will, say, though that I found that his arc seemed rather unfocused, for lack of a better term. Almost as though Lucas didn't know what to do with him following ANH. The same is true for Leia. This may be because they never had a guarantee that Han would be coming back in subsequent films (since Harrison Ford had only signed on for one), but I got the sense that Han was largely ancillary to the proceedings. Chiefly, it seemed as though, post-ANH, his part could easily have been excised and filled with something else should the need arise. Whereas I don't think you can say the same is true for Luke (or Anakin, Obi-Wan, or Padmé for that matter).

Just my opinion though. Lots of people of have given great reasons for liking Han, after all. ;)

Andy Wylde likes this.
  10. battlefrontboy

battlefrontboy Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 17, 2012
    Red Letter Media could also spend an hour criticizing the original trilogy if they wanted too. A lot of the criticism is overblown. I can imagine him going off on the Empire Strikes Back with his smarmy sarcastic droll: "The whole wampa scene didn't accomplish anything. What was the point?" "Why didn't luke, you know, help out Leia and Han rather than chase after a swamp?" "Why didn't Yoda want to train Luke? Didn't ghost Obi-wan give him a heads up about Luke coming over to visit? Awkward." "What was the point of the asteroid sequence? It didn't really advance the plot." "Why would Luke think that he could defeat Darth Vader?" "Why is Han being tortured in a kids movie?" "Why does Luke try to kill himself? Is the dark side that bad? He's rather kill himself than rule the galaxy?"
    At times Red Letter Media offers suggestions for making the movies better, but they are few and far between. Let's see Red Letter Media write a script for Episode VII.

11. kainee

kainee Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 10, 2012
    Could anyone provide a transcript of the reviews? I'd really rather not waste hours of my life watching several 1+ hour long movie reviews but I read quickly and I would be more open to reading actual transcripts. I do admit to already being prejudiced against these reviews from what little bits I have seen only because a lot of what might have been meaningful discussions about the Star Wars Saga in general, Episodes I-III, or anything else related to any characters mentioned in the PT have been derailed by people who paradoxically claim that everything that they want to say about the prequels has already been summed up for them in this link before providing a link to a movie review that is as long as the very movie it's reviewing. My reaction is extreme irritation then because that is not a cogent point that is being presented by the person who's "contributing" and it's not even a summary because a summary would be brief! I also find it ironic that when I come across much shorter video reviews (or written reviews) that are even remotely supportive of Episodes I-III that they are bagged on for spending so much time gushing over the reviews. Also, the reviews and their supporters hit on my pet peeve where the ridiculous nature and lack of logic of the "suggestions" or criticisms are pointed out, then a common defense is that it's a parody or a joke but it is still insisted that the RLM reviews are treated as if they're serious film reviews. So, if the RLM reviews are a backlash against the prequels (regardless of how true the motivation is behind them, whether they're actually valid criticisms, a cynical money grab at the hatedom that sprung up from fans whose hyped up expectations were dashed by reality, or a parody that can't decide if it's still a parody or serious criticism), then I almost feel like I'm part of the backlash against people like this because of the behavior I have just described.

Really, what I want to say to people who fanboy the RLM reviews are: "No, I want to hear what YOU have to say, what YOU think, what YOU feel. NOT some YouTube movie critic whose motive is suspect and who I am not currently talking to right now."

12. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    ^:)^

Very, very well said! As you said, I don't mind people expressing their negative opinions of the PT but please, please just once make your own points instead of posting a link to someone elses and then acting like that is a legitimate argument.

13. son_of_skywalker03

son_of_skywalker03 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    Especially when that "legitimate argument" is chalk full of half-truths and outright lies in regards to its criticisms.

14. kenobifan1999

kenobifan1999 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 3, 2012
    we dont serve your kind around here...!!

[​IMG]

15. FryingpoorGreedo

FryingpoorGreedo Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 22, 2012
    I saw them, made me laugh even though I like the PT. I'm not that sensitive that I can't laugh at something just because its critical of something I enjoy, as long as its not politics or religion.

16. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Neither are most of the people who have posted in this thread about not liking RLM. Speaking for myself (and several have agreed with me), I don't find racist and sexist stereotypes funny, and I find using such stereotypes to make an argument absolutely ridiculous and mindless.

17. FryingpoorGreedo

FryingpoorGreedo Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 22, 2012
    I just found his shtick somewhat funny I guess I even watch his Trek reviews and I am not a big TNG fan (never seen the movies) just cuz there would be something that just made me laugh every so often. I do feel he was too dirty though I don't care for blue humor much.

18. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    THIS!

Andy Wylde likes this.
  19. MrFantastic74

MrFantastic74 Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 4, 2010
    Just popping in to say hi. I must admit I've been hanging around the Episode VII forum lately. As a side effect of the announcement of more SW movies, you all have been spared from my negative PT critiques (some may say "ravings") in these forums... at least for a while.
    :)

20. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    [face_dancing]

Sorry :p, just fooling with you and your post.

Not directed at you, but you specifically used the word "critique." Folks like RLM don't critique, they criticise. There is a difference as the first is honest analyzation of pros and cons while the second is looking purely for faults and ignoring anything else.

21. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    What Valairy said, plus, I've seen your critiques, and unless my memory is failing me--which it rarely does--I don't recall you ever using such an asinine argument as "all women act like X" or "all 19-year-old males think X" to back up your points. I also don't recall you ever calling people stupid when they disagree with you.

22. MrFantastic74

MrFantastic74 Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 4, 2010
    Cheers!

23. kainee

kainee Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 10, 2012
    I almost wish a debate over the merits of the prequels could be moved to another thread that's unrelated to RLM. From everything I've heard, regardless of the validity of the points that are brought up in these time sucking video reviews, they are too much of a lightning rod to be an effective contribution to a discussion of the actual movies. From reading through this entire thread, I've found that most of the responses I liked the most were when they were off-topic tangents unrelated to RLM. I'm also pretty sure that the time I took to read this entire thread still took a fraction of the time I would have needed to watch all of the RLM reviews and if I needed to choose how to use my time, I would rather choose to rewatch the prequels and read a 100+ post thread than watch these videos.

24. janstett

janstett Jedi Master star 3

May 29, 2004
    EDIT: NaT pointed this out, nevermind...

You missed a pretty obvious one. Raiders of the Lost Ark is set in 1936 and the sequel, Temple of Doom, is set a year earlier in 1935.

25. janstett

janstett Jedi Master star 3

May 29, 2004
    And yet you're a prequel fan?

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.