main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Why didn't Plagies fight back?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Sitara, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Sitara

Sitara Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 8, 2001
    Why was he killed so easily by Sidious?

Had he dueled with Sidious, did he have a greater chance of winning?

2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Wasn't he effectively paralysed by a combination of Palpatine's drugs and Palpatine's Sith Lightning?

V-2 and Esg like this.
  3. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
  4. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    During the novel, Plagueis seemed a capable guy. He handled politcs with ease and was a good warrior.
    At the end, I was a bit disappointed as well...

5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    He had a bit too much muunshine.

6. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    :confused:

7. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    It was written somewhat ambiguously, but I personally got the impression that he did fight back, or tried to at least, and failed. I don't have my copy of the book on me, but I recall something like "a whirlwind encompassing the room". To be, that says that Plagueis attempted to knock Palpatine off balance with the Force, but failed and was pushed back. Then Palpatine continued to torture him.

I think if they were to actually duel at that point of in time, they both would have had an equal chance of winning; it mentions that Palpatine receives some kind of "burst" of power after killing Plagueis, so he had likely not reached his full potential at that point in time. Palpatine strikes me as the type who would not enter a battle unless he knew the outcome ahead of time; in addition, a duel like that on Coruscant would surely alert the Jedi. I also somewhat wish it had not been preordained that Plagueis "died in his sleep". Luceno did the best he could with the limitations, but a death like that is hardly climactic by its very nature. He was technically already stretching it a bit by having Palpatine only initiate the attack while Plagueis was asleep.

8. Super_Battle_Droid

Super_Battle_Droid Jedi Master star 5

May 8, 2002
    Plagueis was killed?;)

9. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I thought the wine was drugged to make Plagueis sleep- was it merely very strong?

10. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    Plagueis was just a lightweight. He would never survive in Morgantown.

11. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    This.

12. TheRevanchist

TheRevanchist Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 13, 2012
    He was drank because he totally trust Palpatine. And Palpatine first hit him with a lightning during his sleep, so he didn't had much to do.

Dunno, at that time I think that in a fair duel Plagueis would have defeated Palpatine.

13. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    I think Plagueis just gave in to the will of The Force, as he saw it.

14. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    The Sith don't believe the Force has a will. Their entire order revolves around imposing their own will on the Force.

15. FatSmel

FatSmel Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 23, 2012
    Correct

Incorrect

16. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    We need to note this for a pun of the year award.

17. Darth Xalfrea

Darth Xalfrea Jedi Master star 4

Jan 2, 2013
    A short story similar to Tenebrous Way needs to be made. The entire Penthouse scene from Plagueis's POV. A Plagueis Way, if you will.

Super_Battle_Droid likes this.
  18. V-2

Dec 10, 2012
    Okay if not the will of the force, then fate, or destiny....

19. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Yeah, this was one thing Luceno was told he couldn't change... and he changed it. He'd make a great Rebel.

20. Sitara

Sitara Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 8, 2001
    They should just have had shown the scene from Plagueis's point of view. It was supposed to be his novel, not Sidious's.

Anyhow, Plaguies was shown to be more powerful than Sidious. He could disintegrate ppl using force shockwaves or something.

21. V-2

Dec 10, 2012
    I would have thought that wasn't such a hard thing to achieve for a force user, assuming it's just using telekinesis then why not just force all mass away from a fixed centre until it pops! Or Jean Grey style with a forcefield.

22. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I think he's talking about how Plagueis killed Veruna, it was basically like the touch of death IIRC. Used the same midichlorian technique he used to save/resurrect others to kill Veruna.

V-2 likes this.
  23. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    God, how I hate you.

24. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    What did God ever do to you? :p

DarthTalgus and General Immodet like this.
  25. xx_Anakin_xx

xx_Anakin_xx Jedi Master star 4

Jan 9, 2008
    At first, Sidious realized that Plagueis was welcoming his attempt to kill him; he saw it as the ultimate challenge - to bring himself back. If I remember correctly, Sidious commented on this and said something like he could bring Plagueis back from the brink like they had Venemis, but had no intent of doing that, and would be pushing Plagueis right over the brink into death. Sidious felt Plagueis start to "use" his midichlorians and then Plagueis became a blurred figure and things started flying around the room. So I suppose at some point Plagueis began to doubt his ability to return from death using his knowledge and started fighting back. But Sidious was relentless and Plagueis was weakened by the wine and his attempt to fight back and death overcame him.

I expected the book to more or less follow canon, so I was satisfied with the way Luceno achieved a fine culmination to the book while giving a nod to the OS. In my opinion, he has bucked the canon in the past, in Millennium Falcon, pretty absurdly to my mind - but here he was the Luceno I've always known and loved.