main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Wrestlemania CVII: Lair of Grievous vs. Hostage Crisis

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Garth Maul, Jan 15, 2013.

?

2nd place for best Season 1 episode

Poll closed Jan 19, 2013.
  1. Lair of Grievous

59.4%
  2. Hostage Crisis

40.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Okay, so Season 1 poll is closed.

We had a tie between Lair of Grievous and Hostage Crisis for 2nd place. The top 2 episodes per season move on, then 2 wild card spots round out the top 10.

We need a decision between these episodes.

Open until Friday evening.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    Voted for Lair of Grievous.

Threatening Grievous, creepy doctor droid, Kit Fisto, and truculent ex-Padawan? Good times.

3. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    Lair of Grievous

4. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    Lair of Grievous is only let down by the fact that they didn't get Robert Picardo to be the Doctor, instead opting for a poor man's impersonation of Picardo.

Garth Maul likes this.
  5. K'Kruhk

K'Kruhk Jedi Master star 4

Dec 11, 2011
    Kit Fisto > Cad Bane ;)

6. Dathomir-Witch

Dathomir-Witch Jedi Master star 2

Jan 2, 2013
    I still vote for "Hostage Crisis".

7. AkashKedavra_93

AkashKedavra_93 Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 8, 2011
    Lair of Grievous. Kit Fisto vs. Grievous was a brilliant, brilliant duel, characterizations were spot-on, and Vassek was appropriately creepy.

8. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    i voted for Hostage Crisis

9. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Hostage isn't even on Lair's level, imo.

10. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    I love both episodes, but only one includes characters discussing what is or isn't "the Jedi way" and whether or not those questions are affected by the fact that they are now fighting a war, so this is an easy choice.

11. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    I'm going for "Hostage Crisis". Cad Bane is one of TCW's best creations in terms of original characters, and his debut in the season 1 finale was stunning. He was brutal, snapping guard's necks, and throwing thermal detonators to kill entire rooms of guards. The first appearance of Aurra Sing was also awesome as a fan of her character, though she didn't do much here.

I liked the small snippet of Anakin and Padme's relationship. I like the way TCW gives us little scenes like that - the plot isn't focused on it, but we need to be reminded it's still ongoing, given how important it is to the climax of the Clone Wars.

Seeing Jedi have to improvise without their lightsaber is always interesting, so Anakin's scenes were great here. Palpatine's scenes were also intriguing, as I was trying to fathom whether he knew this was coming, and was playing an act, or whether he was genuinely taken surprise by this bounty hunter.

Breaking Ziro out was bizarre, but this episode was officially a win for the "bad guys", which I approve of.

Bail Organa had his debut here as well!

"Lair of Grievous" loses out due to being extremely predictable. Hell, even Dooku says he'd predicted the outcome! There's Kit Fisto (a character who is in ROTS) and a brash, headstrong padawan. Huh, wonder who's gonna bite it this episode? He might as well have been called Ima-Gun Di.

And due to Nahdar Vebb having his first appearance here, his death pretty much had no impact. Grievous killed a padawan we only met 15 minutes ago? Okay... why not have us grow to care about these characters before you kill them off?

It also felt like a big step down in quality compared to "Cloak of Darkness", which was truly firing on all cylinders.

12. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    I find "Lair of Grievous" is definitely one of the season 1 classics. Kit Fisto is cool. The dual with Grievous is pretty badass and the discussion of what the Jedi way is pretty cool. However I agree with 07jonesj its predictable and overrated. Vebb lacks any developments to really pull any heart strings when Grievous kills him so its like an, "Oh well, that's what you get."

I like "Hostage Crisis" better. I'ma go against the grain here. The first episode to introduce the cool, confident, conniving Cad Bane who in my opinion is one of the best villains type character's TCW has put forth. His entrance is a grand one leading a posse of bounty hunters to successfully hold the Senate Hostage and get Ziro released. He even almost blows the place up. However there is more to it than that. This is one of the better episodes for Anakin and Padme interactions with the scene where he gifts her his lightsaber temporarily. Cutting through the senate floor was one of the more badass things Anakin as done in the show. The stand off between Fox and Cad Bane remains one of the shows more iconic scenes to me. Voted.

AkashKedavra_93 and 07jonesj like this.
  13. hlc88

hlc88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I didn't enjoy Lair of Grievous... so I'm voting Hostage Crisis.

14. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    I liked the Cad Bane introduction, but god the Anakin/Padme scenes are just torturous and the macguffin to get him without his saber was pretty lame.

15. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Ditto.

16. Super_Battle_Droid

Super_Battle_Droid Jedi Master star 5

May 8, 2002
    Lair of Grievous

17. Samayel_

Samayel_ Jedi Master star 2

Sep 26, 2012
    i really love Aurra Sing, but his debut was a lame and Grievous killing jedis?, an episode without anakin/obi wan/ahsoka???, the show needs more Grievous killing jedi episodes and episodes not focused in anakin/obi wan/ahsoka.

Super_Battle_Droid likes this.
  18. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    Poll is closed, Lair of Grievous is the winner. Onto S2 now.

Dark Lord Tarkas likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.