main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC If there is a mod, then why is there spam and trolling?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Obi-Zahn Kenobi, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    I have never understood why often spam and trolling happen even when mods are online. A Senate thread was derailed and posts unworthy of the Senate were made, yet a mod joined in!

I will never understand this. It makes you lose faith in the administration.

2. mrsvos

mrsvos Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 18, 2005
  3. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Well, there are two basic ways to look at this.

The first school of thought would say that this indicates mods are not in fact all-knowing and all-powerful, merely more knowledgable and powerful than users. This obviously presents a potentially troubling view of what it even means for a mod to be a mod.

The second school of thought says that, though the mods could edit every post and even prevent us from posting things that are against the TOS in the first place, the mods choose not to. They choose to let us have free will and post what we want to, whether or not it's morally good. In the end, this school of thought contends that if TOS compliance is not observed out of free will, it's not really TOS compliance at all.

Personally, I tend to agree with the second school of thought.

4. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    In this thread: Trolls and people who honestly believe that no one has asked this question in the 50 years of the Internet, 130 years of telephones and over 10 000 years of people painting cliffs.

Point Given likes this.
  5. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    If mods existed, it would be necessary to destroy them.

V-2 likes this.
  6. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    A mod just posted here.

God will never post in the other thread.

Checkmate.

7. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    I still don't believe they exist. Having one of them write here is just anecdotal evidence.

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  8. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Since Moderating is a philosophical idealogy, it is to be expected that a follower of said belief system is who posts on its behalf. You aren't the Mod... simply a faithful servant. It doesn't matter if I never know the truth about the original Mod. You, Daveeed, were called to be the light of the boards.

Sarge likes this.
  9. Likewater

Likewater Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2009
    Because the mod's are farming. The truth is mods feed of misery, pain, and sarcasm....like Darksied but they also can't let chaos reign, so they let a little trollage through so they can lap up your tears and gain enough streangth to moderate.

[​IMG]

10. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
  11. Sebulba-X

Sebulba-X •X C2 C3 MW RSA• star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2000
    We have a canon, an Old Forum and a New Forum, fallen bitter ex mods, and frequent "pizza" raptures...So the "Report" button is like prayer request?

I'm sensing a necessary new forum style...I'll go on a pilgrimage for a new banner.

12. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    Is this about my posts referencing Aliens' Lt. Vasquez and a Schoolhouse Rock cartoon about suffrage in the Women in Combat thread? 'Cause that's just how I roll.

Ender_Sai likes this.
  13. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    To further Daveeed's post; what happens to retired Gods?

Oh wait. Neil Gaiman covered this.

lol @ God.

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  14. darthhelinith

darthhelinith Force Ghost star 6

Feb 10, 2009
    [fart joke]

15. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    The Mods ban in mysterious ways.

In the beginning The Owner said "Let there be Theforce.net." And there was Theforce.net.

He saw that the URL was good and separated the forums from the main page.

16. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    The mod squad stopped banning trouble makers when it appeared the only ones left were the troublemakers who just so happened to be their friends. So don't expect anything to change. The mods are going to support those they like not those being wronged unless its their friends. You might see the mods stick out their necks if we had a larger population in the JC but that shipped sailed long ago. Now they just need people to post so get used to the crude crass behaviour by everyone including exmods and users alike. And if they can't say what they want on here they all go over to Facebook and say whatever they want and the mods join in. When users complain mods just say its not our board.
    Face it, this place lost its luster a long time ago. We are all a bunch of dinosaurs watching the asteroid get closer and closer.

Arawn_Fenn likes this.
  17. AAAAAH

AAAAAH Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    i do crue crass behaviour and i am not friends with any mos and i am somehow still here. what about that.

18. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Personally, I don't believe in trolls.

19. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Mods allow trolls to hang around for the sheer entertainment of other posters.

20. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001
    There is no mod.

21. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    There is only the Force.net.

22. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    The mods are infallible. If they do not hear your cries then you must sacrifice a thread to appease them.

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  23. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Let's sacrifice the Gun Control thread.

24. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I've got one word for you: dysmodism. [face_devil]

25. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002