main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Census Do you believe in the bible?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Allana_Rey, Jan 26, 2013.

?

Do you believe in the bible?

1. Yes

26 vote(s)
    36.1%
  2. No

42 vote(s)
    58.3%
  3. Undecided

4 vote(s)
    5.6%
  1. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    What bits do you prefer, the human trafficking, the slavery, the submission of women..?

Bender666 likes this.
  2. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007

3. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    http://ncse.com/rncse/29/5/yes-noahs-flood-may-have-happened-not-over-whole-earth

There was a flood that wiped out large swath of land between the Euphrates and Tigris rivers in present day Iraq. This flood killed a LOT people and because of its notoriety, wound up being the basis for the flood tales found in the bible, the qu'ran, and the Epic of Gilgamesh.

4. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I really don't understand taking the Bible as some sort of secular moral guide. If anything, it's at least 2,000 years out of date, and despite what some people claim the character of Jesus wasn't particularly revolutionary as far as religious figures go. Going to the Bible for morals is like going to the JCC for relationship advice*: it's long, mostly irrelevant, and some misogynistic, racist creep derails the whole thing with a historical narrative he pulled out of his ass.

*or for anything, I guess

5. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    Sorry. My snarkiness wasn't all that clear I guess.

I'm not saying that the Bible is perfect or even good or whatever. I mean, it's a collection of ancient myths and letters. That's just...what it is. But I think it's silly to act like a collection of ancient myths and letters can somehow be horrible or evil or deplorable, especially when significant parts of that collection of myths and letters includes valuable moral direction. It's not the be all end all. It's not amazing or revolutionary or whatever. There's some crazy **** in it. Its no original. But there's also some good stuff. And some inspiring stuff. Which is about what I would expect from a collection of ancient myths and letters dealing with metaphysical angst, the human condition, and a supposed messiah.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

6. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    It is an interesting piece of historical literature.

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  7. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    But boring. There should be a version that's written more like The Silmarillion. Not so much family trees, people's ages and how many children they had, take out the laws and codes and how wide a temple should be. The most important events and life-stories could have their own chapters. Make Jesus' story one big story that includes all instead of four that have same stuff. That way more curious people would read it.

8. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    The Emperor should convene another council!

9. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    Yeah, there was a poor editor at work, that's true.

10. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    I believe I've read better fanfic.

11. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    I don't believe in anything that doesn't cite its sources properly.

Darth Guy, NYCitygurl and RC-1991 like this.
  12. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Isn't the Book of Mormon basically a fanfic of the Bible?

13. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    'No' is winning? Interesting.

14. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    I believe in it. Until the Silmarillion was published, it was the world's worst work of fantasy literature.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  15. Sauntaero

Sauntaero Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 9, 2003
    I'm so glad there's an 'undecided' option.

But as a Catholic, nah, I don't really believe in the Bible. We've got the Pope, what else do you need? :p

16. Blue_Jedi33

Blue_Jedi33 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 12, 2003
    Yes, and 2 Timothy 3 is worth mentioning......

But understand this, that in the last days will come (set in) perilous times of great stress and trouble [hard to deal with and hard to bear].
    2 For people will be lovers of self and [utterly] self-centered, lovers of money and aroused by an inordinate [greedy] desire for wealth, proud and arrogant and contemptuous boasters. They will be abusive (blasphemous, scoffing), disobedient to parents, ungrateful, unholy and profane.
    3 [They will be] without natural [human] affection (callous and inhuman), relentless (admitting of no truce or appeasement); [they will be] slanderers (false accusers, troublemakers), intemperate and loose in morals and conduct, uncontrolled and fierce, haters of good.
    4 [They will be] treacherous [betrayers], rash, [and] inflated with self-conceit. [They will be] lovers of sensual pleasures and vain amusements more than and rather than lovers of God.......
    you have had a knowledge of and been acquainted with the sacred Writings, which are able to instruct you and give you the understanding for salvation which comes through faith in Christ Jesus [through the leaning of the entire human personality on God in Christ Jesus in absolute trust and confidence in His power, wisdom, and goodness].
    16 Every Scripture is God-breathed (given by His inspiration) and profitable for instruction, for reproof and conviction of sin, for correction of error and discipline in obedience, [and] for training in righteousness (in holy living, in conformity to God’s will in thought, purpose, and action),
    17 So that the man of God may be complete and proficient, well fitted and thoroughly equipped for every good work.

17. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Trying to flame people here using the bible is pathetic, blue jedi

18. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
  19. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    liked for the saint paul reference

20. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
  21. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Hooray. I was so disheartened that there were only 3-5 threads dedicated to "LOL @ teh retarted crissjuns" on the first page of JCC this week. This certainly warms my heart by filling that absence of variety.

I absolutely believe in (and) the Bible. For what it was actually written to accomplish in people's lives as opposed to what later sects' agendas turned it into. Moses and his redactors & editors wrote a roadmap for spiritually-minded people, not a guillotine for public executions.

22. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I can go along with that. Somebody needs to bring the papacy to heel and command them to reinstitute Latin at mass.

23. Armenian_Jedi

Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost star 7

Mar 14, 2003
    Like others have said, yes, I believe the bible exists. No, I don't believe in any of the crap in it.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  24. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Greek gods are more fun and they have a great bestiary.

25. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    bleh, greek gods. Talos will smite them.