main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Clone Wars - 5.15 - Shades of Reason - discussion thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Seerow, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    Return of the Joker? Legend of Korra? Beast Wars? Roughnecks? These are not kids shows by your definition?

rumsmuggler and 07jonesj like this.
  2. KenobiSkywalker

KenobiSkywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    [​IMG]

3. Samayel_

Samayel_ Jedi Master star 2

Sep 26, 2012
    i really want to see THESE Grievous again, (the one that also appears in "General Grievous" comic), the menace that you don´t want to face and it´s better run or you´ll be dead! (remember the third season of 2D clone wars, it was about running from grievous).
    He was the kind of enemy that came from an horror movie, you don´t try to defeat him, you try to survive him.

vong333 likes this.
  4. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I think people give kids too little credit. Death happens in pretty much every Disney movie... Which ARE kids/family movies. Ursula gets gored by ship's bowsprit in The Little Mermaid for instance. I don't think death has anything to do with it, it just has to do with the visually intensity. Showing blood and guts for instance is generally unacceptable in a kid's show. But especially when violence is only implied and not shown (like the beheading of Vizsla), I don't think that's particularly unacceptable for a child. It's not like every kid's show is Teletubbies and caters to preschoolers with vibrant colors and where everything is cute and cheery. In a lot of Disney films, the villain gets killed. Death befalling a hero is less common, but we see it happen in Lion King. I wouldn't regard that movie as being unacceptable for children.

5. Darth_Zandalor

Aug 2, 2009
    I like Brian Blessed's death in Tarzan. Falling to your death and snapping your neck as you get constricted by vines.

6. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    What happens to Mufasa is 10x worse than anything we've seen on this show. There was somebody working at Disney who just had a really cruel heart when they made that film. :_|

Vialco and Seerow like this.
  7. Kualan

Kualan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 4, 2008
    Boss Nass wasn't the Gungan most people wanted that to happen to.

8. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Yeah, that scene is tears-inducing no matter how many times I watch it. Ditto with Bambi's mother's death.

AkashKedavra_93 and 07jonesj like this.
  9. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    And to think we've given this company Star Wars. Oh, what's going to happen? :_|

10. Darth_Zandalor

Aug 2, 2009
    Jar Jar would have strangled himself with his own ears.

11. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    TCW has never shied from death and violence. Well when discussing just TCW I can see where folks could still call it a kids show for other things. Its got an awful lot in common with a bottom of the barrel kids show like Power Rangers.

Circular plots [​IMG]
    Monsters of the day [​IMG]
    Big bad overlord [​IMG]
    Ineffective minions[​IMG]
    Bulk and Skull [​IMG]

I think TCW has evolved past that weak crap however from season 4 onward. I agree kids generally don't get enough credit. I remember the first time I experienced Mufasa's death in 94.

12. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    Isn't that it in shadow, under his right arm? 8squints8

13. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003

This was some awesome stuff. You know recently in my itunes my original purchase magically appeared in my cloud. I thought I had lost these. Yeah, I've got the dvds but this was the original way they were air on CN when they were released. This series is still number one for me no matter what this series does, and once again the micro won three Emmy's and an Annie award. Can't really say that about these clone wars and come the Ammie awards next month they will be snuffed again like usual.

rumsmuggler and Samayel_ like this.
  14. Original Oatmeal

Original Oatmeal Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 22, 2013

Yes. Sad. That is the hardest part to watch. The way Sidious dies is tough for me to understand. I understand his excuses, that he was old and not expecting betrayal from Vader. If Sidious was that old and insane in the Return of the Jedi then Luke could have thrown him over the plank. Luke would have died in the process like Vader did.

I watch every episodes of the Clone Wars cartoon. I am a huge fan of Maul mostly because I feel like he is a better fighter than Dooku and even Sidious. The cartoons should prove me wrong by showing me how great Sidious was back when he was not too old for a Vader to run him over with.

I like episodes that show Anakin talking to Kenobi because I like to study Anakin's slow drift towards the dark side. If the movies are focused on Anakin then the cartoons could do the same.

15. SpecialOpsUnit

SpecialOpsUnit Jedi Master star 4

Sep 1, 2007
    what happened to this thread

16. KenobiSkywalker

KenobiSkywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
  17. AkashKedavra_93

AkashKedavra_93 Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 8, 2011
    I have no freaking clue. I've tried to bring the episode back into the episode discussion thread, but alas...

18. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    Well, I can say this thread only has SHADES of reason. The rest is unreasonable.

Ha HA ha ho ha.

19. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Lets not degenerate this thread further and keep this civilized please. To bring it back on topic... yes, a lets fix it post transported from another thread.

I would have fixed that by rather than showing the gangsters starting their attacks glossing over it with quick snapshots of the middle heavy battles at the targets which would have eliminated the problem with weak ass Mando guards and made the stakes seems higher. I guess its predictable the guards were pretty weak, underarmed, and to inexperienced to do anything but stand their ground.

It does make Satine's overthrowing more credible. Then when Deathwatch rockets in to the rescue I would have done the same thing showing different battles concluding with Deathwatch's intervention. Rushed at it was "Shades of Reason" was still the best character driven episode to date and capped it with an epic duel.

Valairy Scot and AkashKedavra_93 like this.
  20. Original Oatmeal

Jan 22, 2013
    The force helps a person use a lightsaber better. Grevious, Han Solo, and that Mandu man used lightsabers. The force is not just fairy dust. Peter Pan was able to fly. Pan & Captain Hook were both able to fight with lightsabers, I mean regular Disney Swords. Fairy Dust did not help Pan use his sword against Hook. Hook did not need the force or fairy dust to swing a sword around. But the force does enhance a person's speed, strength, perception, skill. The force can help you use a lightsaber.

Mace Windu used the force to deflect the force lighting from Darth Sidious. Windu was holding his lightsaber up in the Revenge of the Sith. The force made the lightsaber of Windu better. Windu had to focus the force lighting into his lightsaber blade. Otherwise lighting would have hit Windu. The lighting was not automatically attracted to the lightsaber blade.Windu had to use the force to pull the lighting towards his lightsaber.

The force is like steroids. Some baseball players hit more home runs with the use of steroids which makes them stronger and faster. You do not have to take drugs to play sports.You do not have to use the force to use a lightsaber.But steroids can make you stronger and faster.The force can make you stronger and faster. Drugs can help you swing the bat harder and the force can help you swing the lightsaber harder and faster as well.

21. AkashKedavra_93

AkashKedavra_93 Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 8, 2011
    They could have shown bombs/fires all over the city in a sweeping shot, it would have helped sell the danger a bit more.

The Shadow Emperor and Seerow like this.
  22. Original Oatmeal

Jan 22, 2013

That one lion dies in the Disney Lion King. Was the Lion King made for kids?

23. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    If you took the time to properly read my post, I did say force users were best at lightsaber. And I'm quite aware of how the force works. Welcome to the boards btw..

24. eukaryote

eukaryote Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 21, 2008
    I usually just lurk, but this episode excited me so much.

- I love the way Bo Katan's hair moves. Remember when hair didn't move at all?
    -"Welcome to Mandalore" happy droid getting shot literally made me laugh out loud.
    - Mandalorians are sheeples, kind of like... well, never mind.
    - Satine does a good job looking sad/worried
    - Sorry but, how did the New Mandalorians ever win over the planet exactly? Because it's just like they've become as helpless as bowling pins.
    - I guess the people were standing outside the palace for like two days straight...
    - "There will be no bloodshed." I get Satine is a pacifist and everything, but... it's like ANYONE could go into the palace with a butter knife and take the throne. I get they probably did this for time though.
    - The discussion between Almec and Satine was very good.
    - So... did Vizsla really think that he could keep Maul and Savage prisoner like that?
    - Why were Maul and Savage put together in a cell? Hey, I know you guys are best buds, so you get to share a room.
    - BROTHER count - 1
    - I love that Maul and Savage were only in their cell for a while to think things over, and then as soon as they waned to, they broke out.
    - The moment when Satine and Maul see each other for the first time was appropriately chilling.
    - "What do you want, you monster?" Good line, delivered well.
    - The dialogue between Maul and Satine was really good. It's almost like they had a kind of chemistry going on there. I don't know if that's the word I'm looking for, but it's interesting.
    - I like that Maul knew exactly how to get Vizsla in a bad spot. Like the "I TRIPLE DOG DARE YOU!"
    - The duel between Maul and Vizsla was intense and beautiful. Really awesome, but I'm a bit confused, seeing as in season 2, Obi-Wan was just "Lol, this guy thinks he stands a chance to beat me, how cute." Not to insult Obi-Wan, but it seems unbalanced. I'll just say Vizsla has learned a lot since then.
    - Vizsla lost a tooth.
    - Vizsla's death was cringeworthy
    - I loved Bo Katan's reaction.
    - The Mandalorians are still gathered outside...
    - Duchess Satine killed Pre Vizsla [face_laugh] Seems legit.
    - Maul sitting on the throne all casual was a good image.

I loved this episode, but my complaint is things went too fast and Satine was way too helpless. I would have rather this arc be 5 or even 6 episodes instead of the 4, and have them taken away an episode of the droid arc.... Next episode is going to be big. Satine is one of my favorite characters, especially when she's around Obi-Wan, but I really hope she dies next episode, if that makes sense.

LadyTila, 07jonesj and pronker like this.
  25. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    That would have worked for me, too. As for Satine *former Duchess, huh how did the former come about*, her costume resembles Mary, Queen of Scots, and we know what happened to her.

eukaryote likes this.