main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Sam Witwer "Karen Traviss, She Didn't Get Everything Right"

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Robimus, Jan 27, 2013.

1. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Nice pictures.

2. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Seems legit

3. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    The great part is that this all isn't true :p

4. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Yep, just makes it all the sadder that the characters she murdered have some of the best char pics. [face_plain]

5. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Is it seriously so easy to whip you people into an anti-Traviss froth that you're lamenting the death of Thrackan Sal-Solo?

6. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Thanks largely to the sterling work by Jason Fry and the like, with The Essential Atlas and The Essential Guide to Warfare.

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  7. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    I never liked Thrackan Sal-Solo since reading the Solo trilogy. Never read the Corellian trilogy, but I'm sure he didn't get better with age.

8. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    It’s nice to see that Sam knows/cares enough about the EU to have his own opinions on it. whether or not I agree with it is another matter entirely, but it is cool to see him passionate about star wars.

CooperTFN likes this.
  9. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    He Sal Solo was alarmingly more awesome than usual Bantam villains like Brakiss, Kueller, Daala or Hethir, plus his part in the NJO was rather enjoyable. He certainly deserved better then just getting blastered in his office, as did Pellaeon for that matter. [face_plain]

10. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Traviss actually seemed to like Pellaeon, a lot, going by the way she wrote him in No Prisoners and LoTF.

But liking a character isn't necessarily a barrier to killing them off.

11. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    Is this a Traviss bashing thread?
    Cause if it is, I want no part in it.

GrandMasterKatarn likes this.
  12. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    No she liked the way she wrote him, which like the way she write Boba just dosen't mesh with the rest of their story. [face_sigh]

If you have the option to have one of the most beloved EU characters, know as a military naval leader, die during a space battle, it should not be by him getting shoot in the back in his office by a shrill blond girl, but going down guns blazing in the command chair. [face_plain]

CT-867-5309 and Riven_JTAC like this.
  13. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    The OP seemed to be defending Traviss against the implication by Witwer that she ignored established info about Order 66.

14. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    If disagreeing with her can be considered bashing, then possibly, but it isn't a Traviss bashing thread.

15. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    That was the entire reason K'Kruhk refused to fight for a while.

I doubt that Traviss or no, Mara would have made it out of LOTF alive.

rumsmuggler likes this.
  16. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Who knows, with the general lack of planning ahead or authorial cooperation the series showed anything seems to have been possible.

17. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    They had some overall ideas, though. I can't imagine you can decide to kill Mara without some input from the top.

18. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    In the Inferno round robin interview, it seems like it was established early on that Jacen had to kill somebody he loved- somebody important- and after Traviss suggested Mara they all eventually agreed on it.

19. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

Tenel would actually be the more logical conclusion to come up with, because you know he was actually in love with her.

Not that I am complaining about characters dying or anything but Traviss was apparently out to have them die in about as unglamorous ways as possible (mind crushed, shoot in the back, sneakily poised and left to die), even though she first even mentions (in that very interview) how its usual to have characters go out in blazes of glory. Which is especially jarring because each of her 3 books would have provided numerous opportunities for that very thing to happen in each of these characters.

20. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    To Sam Witwer: Opinion noted.

Zorrixor, Riven_JTAC, CMShake and 2 others like this.
  21. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    As opposed to being shot in the back by a mild-mannered blond girl?

22. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    At least have him shoot in the chest by a calm brunet. :p

23. Karohalva

Karohalva Jedi Knight star 2

May 27, 2008
    I miss him. He was a good demagogue, his quality as a character being specifically because he is contemptible.

24. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    I suspect if Pellaeon had gone out in a blaze of glory on the bridge of the Bloodfin we would be hearing about how cliched and unoriginal his death was.;)

25. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Given that Morals seem to be one of Traviss's pet peeves- I think that was the theme she went with, with Pellaeon - a physically weak but morally strong man- willingly making the moral choice in the face of certain death.

Mia Mesharad and Robimus like this.