main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST JJ Abrams to direct Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Kuestmaster, Jan 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
  2. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    [face_party] Great piece.

And she got the cover, that's awesome.

EDIT: Also our first hint that the movie will not be shot in LA.

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  3. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    I would lay money on it not being shot in LA.

LawJedi likes this.
  4. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Thanks for that. Quite interesting stuff in there. Sadly, though, I think we can all say bye-bye to 2015. Hopefully not, but I'm really feeling its coming in 2016 rather than sooner.

5. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    While I can't wait for the movie, I'd rather they wait and get it right rather than rush it to hit an unrealistic dead-line.

KevinM1 and fishtailsam like this.
  6. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    Cool. It would be great if the reason JJ signed on was because the script was great. Speaking of Arndt...where the hell is he? Ever since he was announced we've heard nothing from him while we've heard plenty from JJ. I'm telling you Disney is keeping him hostage somewhere in order to avoid leaks. Disney is the Empire now ;)

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  7. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Stuck in a room somewhere under lock and key writing Episode VII! Boy would I love to be a fly on the wall.

8. Darth Claire

Dec 21, 2012
    I say he's probably in a warehouse guarded by "top men"
    [​IMG]
    He's probably somewhere in the back
    ;)

9. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    Quick, get some metal - I'm sure he's magnetic.

10. KevinM1

KevinM1 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 15, 2012
    I wouldn't mind them not hitting the initial 2015 target. I mean, there's so much to do:

The script needs to be finished
    Actors need to be cast
    Abrams needs free time
    Locations need to be scouted and procured (not necessarily an easy task dealing with foreign governments)
    Sets and costumes need to be created

Even after filming, there's a ton of work:

Editing
    Music
    CG
    Sound effects (including the actors coming in to fix any muffled/unclear dialogue)

30 months may seem like a long time, but with the army of people involved in making something like this, I'd rather everyone take the time to do it right.

---

That article reinforces my belief that the franchise is not only in good hands, but in the right hands. I can't wait to see who they cast. Hopefully we'll know in another couple months.

11. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I don't understand this argument that J.J saved Mission Impossible. Yes, MI:3 was great, but it did worse at the box office than 1 and II. Ghost Protocol did really well, but he only produced it.

12. LawJedi

Jan 11, 2009
  13. Darth Claire

Dec 21, 2012
    Found this. Kinda funny....and true...and also cruel at the same time.

[​IMG]
    JJ you traitor!

14. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Fantastic picture. Quite true, really.

15. laurethiel1138

laurethiel1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 6, 2003
    Why, oh, why must it always be reduced to a playground rivalry? I am quite happily a fan of both series, and would be hard-pressed to choose between Trek and Wars, who fulfill my dreams in wholly different capacities... Trek for the relentlessly hopeful optimism it presents about our own future, and Wars for the sheer epicness of the tale and its resonance in our own lives.

Frankly, I'm just happy that J.J. Abrams gets to be the one to start them both on their new paths.

Cheers,
    Lauré :)

16. Darth_Zidious

Darth_Zidious Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2001
    He's talking about the actual reaction to Anakin by his actual children, not his reaction.

17. darthgator1217

darthgator1217 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005
    Let the hype and over expectation begin anew!! Still, this is promising!

18. darthgator1217

Apr 25, 2005
    I it not clear to me what exactly Abrams means by this comment. Is he saying that it is wrong to feel any sympathy for Anakin because he royally messed up and the Jedi gave him little respect? Does he mean that the prequels were a bad thing because Darth Vader has become a more pathetic character in a sense?

I am wondering (this is probably answered elsewhere), but is Abrams a fan of all 6 movies, or just the OT?

19. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I don't like either interpretation.

20. darthgator1217

Apr 25, 2005
    Wonderful analysis!

You know, I have posted elsewhere that his movies are more like pure popcorn flicks, sort of like Transformers light (less overly stimulating with better acting). They are entertaining, but the thrill fades quickly. For example ,Super 8, while entertaining, felt like an inferior copy of a Speilberg movie from the 70s/80s. Let us hope that Kennedy will be tough as nails with Abrams and make damn sure that George's vision remains intact.

21. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Tom Cruise had a bizarre meltdown on Oprah's couch a few weeks before the movie opened that effected the box office.

22. LawJedi

Jan 11, 2009
    He talks about his own reaction to unraveling the mystery, but that's his whole "blah, blah, mystery, blah" thing. Which is fine, I just prefer the emotional catharsis of ROTJ and the PT to any mystery that Vader might have held. Also, "I still think it’s wrong to be on Anakin’s side." I understand that he's emphasizing the generation gap, but sympathy with Anakin (at least to a certain point) is kinda key. But he's not writing Anakin, so who cares?

I do love that he gets how subversive Anakin as a protagonist can be. I think this is strongest in the Clone Wars: a Saturday morning style cartoon starring a fair-haired Darth Vader (with actual Vader costume details), his Stormtroopers, and his kid-friendly little sister Padawan riding around in a Star Destroyer, having adventures. It's so wonderfully twisted, but works on it own.

FRAGWAGON and Bad_Feeling like this.
  23. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    Not pointing this at any in particular, so I hope no one takes it personally, but it's idiotic to say you have no hope for Episode VII, or you have no plans on seeing it just because Abrams is directing. Not sure how to break this, but directors change style based on the direction of the movies. Plus, Abrams is an avid Star Wars fan but he also knows how to make a decent movie. Star Trek 2009 did not suck, I'm sorry but it just didn't. Even RLM loved it. It has a RT rating higher than Wrath of Khan, and was a huge critical and commercial success. Abrams can mess with Arndt's scripts a bit, but it seems people are forgetting who the heck came up with the plot - George Lucas. These are treatments off George Lucas's ideas, and these new Star Wars movies are his stories, and odds are they're the ones that have been floating around out there since the early 80s.

It's nonsensical to be Debbie Downer at this point when there are so many other factors that come into play other than a director. That and there are over two years before this movie even comes out.

24. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Ummm no that happened a year before when War of the Worlds was coming out.

25. Jedi Dragon D

Jedi Dragon D Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    Would love to see more Star Wars/Lost compare videos.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.