main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Three More Reasons I Love The PT

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Cryogenic, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    I:

II:

III:

Call me biased, but I think these are three awesome reasons all by themselves.

AKA

Does anyone else just LOVE these pieces as much as I do?

From the bold, heroic, regal stylings of TPM -- and just when your heart's about to burst, in comes Duel Of The Fates at the end, with formidably aggressive chorals and drumming -- to the sad, horror-laden, operatic, wistful capper for Clones, and finally, the destination of this symphony: the war-drenched Sith, brought to life with a musical finale so epic and explosive that it's hard to imagine any other music, ever, reaching quite this standard or intensity in cinema ever again.

*sigh*

2. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    I think the music in the PT is far better than the OT, which was already masterful.

By the time of the PT, I think Williams had perfected his style and the style Star Wars had come to know. Listening to tracks like Anakin's Theme, Across the Stars, Anakin's Betrayal, Anakin's Dark Deeds, Battle of the Heroes, etc really gets me going.

Agree 100%

3. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Indeed. The Imperial March to Across the Stars transition gets me every time. Horror-laden and wistful is exactly right. Beautiful and devastating.

4. Cryogenic

Jul 20, 2005
    It seems to perfectly embody the two extremes of what's occurring throughout the PT: an intellectual, horror-filled dissection of society and the operatic rending of an entire world order *and* a sad, melancholic, highly-emotional inflection and investment of what lies at its core: young people torn apart by the moral turpitude that surrounds them.

I'm staggered by the enormous transitions here: from the valiant, chivalrous glow of TPM, to the moody, arresting ambiance of Clones, and then suddenly plunged into the Wagnerian ballast of Sith. How did John Williams summon up such dazzling brilliance three times in a row and craft such rousing, elemental music in a different mythic register -- of equal brilliance -- for each? It's incredible.

Looking ahead to the sequel trilogy and John Williams' probable uninvolvement, I don't think you can really have Star Wars without this man.

5. drg4

drg4 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    Even if I were to hold the actual films in low regard, the overwhelmingly operatic, romantic scores would justify their existence.

I never imagined that a Star Wars film could induce tears, but nearly every time Padme whispers her last words, I break down. Damn you, John Williams (and Lucas) (and Natalie).

6. Ambervikings91

Ambervikings91 Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 1, 2012
    beautiful!

7. Eternity85

Eternity85 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 24, 2008
    Yes; truly amazing. Across the Stars is probably my favorite song of all time. The incredible atmosphere of Star Wars would not have been possible without the wonderful music by Williams.

8. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    The AOTC soundtrack is my fave of the entire saga for sure. And John Willams also composed for my fave movie soundtrack of all..Hook.

9. Heywood_Floyd

Heywood_Floyd Jedi Youngling

Feb 11, 2013
    To me, John Williams's music is the constant character that binds these movies together. There is no other composer that could come close to Williams ability to combine a full spectrum of terror, beauty, happiness, anger, love, into an entire film score. It's going to be quite a challenge to meet those expectations for whoever takes over his job for the next trilogy.

10. drg4

drg4 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    Upon further reflection, I honestly believe my preference for the PT boils down to the evolved marriage between Lucas and Williams. Everything about the new films is heightened, more romantic. Apart from specific passages in The Empire Strikes Back (e.g., Han and Leia's first kiss, Yoda's demonstration, Han's freezing) there's little from the originals that compares to the power and glory on display.

The PT takes me back to 1989, when I saw Tim Burton's Batman at the tender age of six. That currently-undervalued film planted a desire to be sonically swept off my feet. To hear choirs of angels and demons enchant and terrify and move me. Scenes like Anakin and Padme's marriage, or Palpatine's literal dismantling of the Senate, come awfully close to the first time I watched the Batwing cast a silhouette against a full moon.

Perhaps Lucas's only mistake was depositing so many words into what would otherwise be breathtaking, thoroughly fluid and coherent silent films.

obi-rob-kenobi4 and Cryogenic like this.
  11. drg4

drg4 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    Upon further reflection, I honestly believe my preference for the PT boils down to the evolved marriage between Lucas and Williams. Everything about the new films is heightened, more romantic. Apart from specific passages in The Empire Strikes Back (e.g., Han and Leia's first kiss, Yoda's demonstration, Han's freezing) there's little from the originals that compares to the power and glory on display.

The PT takes me back to 1989, when I saw Tim Burton's Batman at the tender age of six. That currently-undervalued film planted a desire to be sonically swept off my feet. To hear choirs of angels and demons enchant and terrify and move me. Scenes like Anakin and Padme's marriage, or Palpatine's literal dismantling of the Senate, come awfully close to the first time I watched the Batwing cast a silhouette against a full moon.

Perhaps Lucas's principal mistake was depositing so many words into what would otherwise be breathtaking, thoroughly fluid and graceful silent films.

12. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    I feel the same way, to a large extent. Although I don't hold the same disdain for Lucas' dialogue that some others do (honestly, I think his dialogue has a style that works well within the films though I admit Lucas is no Shakespeare), it would be wonderful to have just the image, music, and sound effects. A bit like poetry in motion.

I found this video:

And despite the fact that I know some people might say that it's over-the-top saccharine, I love it. Just scenes from the films and Anakin's theme overlain. It works perfectly for me.

Heywood_Floyd and mes520 like this.
  13. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    I like the score and listen to it sometimes, even if it can feel a bit plump occasionally. But then again I listen to Prokofiev on a regular basis so it's not really a shame if Williams falls a bit short in comparison.

14. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Yeah I watched Schindler's List last night, and Williams's soundtrack for that movie was great too. Great enough to win an Oscar for (which it totally did).

15. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Love it!

16. Eryndil

Eryndil Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 18, 2012
    John Williams is a musical genius! It's a real joy to experience a score that complements and enhances the on-screen action to this extent. I think that Duel of the Fates, in particular, is a fantastic piece of music in its own right. The Anakin's Betrayal (Order 66) piece was also extremely effective.

Valairy Scot likes this.
  17. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    His score for ROTS was really great and why it didn't get nominated for an Oscar that year is beyond me.

Valairy Scot and GGrievous like this.
  18. anakin-the-chosen-one

anakin-the-chosen-one Jedi Master

Feb 17, 2013
    The music for the Prequel Trilogy is absolutely beautiful, as is the original trilogy, but roughly 20 years of experience seems to have worked out the better for John Williams. :D I'm so excited to hear that he's interested in working for the new trilogy aaaah.

BoromirsFan likes this.
  19. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    For some strange reason Star Wars is loathed by the Academy.

20. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Mainly to do with George spiting the Director and Actor's Guild for the OT.

BoromirsFan likes this.
  21. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Yeah the fact that ROTS was only nominated for Best Makeup was truly appalling.

22. Cryogenic

Jul 20, 2005
    We're going off-topic here, but I could hardly believe that, either. Still can't.

You would at least have expected VFX to get a nom (ROTS is the only SW movie that didn't get nominated in this area).

I also cringe a little when I read "The Making Of ROTS" because there's a bit in there where Rick McCallum says he's hopeful people like Trish Biggar will get recognized this time; and, of course, they weren't.

BoromirsFan likes this.
  23. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    I agree 100%!!!!!

24. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    They merely reflect popular opinion and are otherwise useless.

25. Eternity85

Eternity85 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 24, 2008
    Very true!

I really respect George Lucas for the fact that he managed to break free. It was a great achievement!

BoromirsFan likes this.