main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (or Beatles) thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Grand_Admiral_Grant, Sep 17, 2006.

1. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    A Melbournian here also :) I thought of going, he's a nice enough guy, but just not the Beatle i'd rush out to see. I'll put the funds toward the long rumoured McCartney tour that's finally said to happen this year. Either that or my money goes to The Stones.

2. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    I've seen Paul twice now, and although I would move mountains to get tickets to see him in concert again (the third time will be the best, I know that [face_love] ), I've never seen Ringo and would like to tick him.

As for your money going to see the Stones... I hope you have a lot of money. [face_frustrated]

3. DT421

DT421 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2003
    I was fortunate enough to see Ringo and his All-Starr Band in the late 80's. I believe that was his first "All-Starr" tour.

4. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Just realised McCartney last played here in NZ 20 years ago. Makes me feel very old.

5. DT421

Nov 6, 2003
  6. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    :D Awesome. Even though the process isn't completely correct. :p

7. DT421

Nov 6, 2003
    Yeah, I noticed that when I first saw this. It has you going through the "Na na na na's" after every verse. :p

8. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    And it completely misses half the song, too - "And any time you feel the pain..." and "So let it out and let it in..." :p

Debo likes this.
  9. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    The layman's guide to Hey Jude, perhaps?

10. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Sitting in the pub, 1 hour til Ringo takes the stage. With peace and love.

NYCitygurl likes this.
  11. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    There is a serious lack of a JU JUDY JUDY JUDY JUDY JUDY YOW

12. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I'd love to see Paul in concert.

13. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    How was Ringo, jp-30 ?

14. Debo

Debo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 27, 2001
    And of... "goodeveningladiesandgentlemen na na na..."

15. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    [​IMG]

It was good, dumb fun. A group singalong for oldies. The concert was all over the place, the "all starrs" not having the pedigree of All Starr members prior such as Joe Walsh, Dr John, Rick Danko & Levon Helm.

Steve Lukather is a knob. He must have a pedal that makes all his solos sound like a dying duck. Perhaps he actually has a dying duck in his effects array? He was there though, to make Ringo's vocals sound good. Lukather attempted lead vocals on 3 Toto songs (you can guess the three, I'm sure).

Greg Rollie was a treat, the original Santana vocalist, he sang great versions of Black Magic Woman and Evil Ways, ruined only by Lukather's fretboard wankery.

Greg Page sang his 2 Mr Mister hits, Kyrie and Broken Wings, and some new track - fabulous voice, but those 80s hits were perhaps a decade too new for most of the crowd.

I know of Todd Rundgren, but he never really had any hits here. He sang some songs, banged some drums. Never really got a lead guitar break because Lukather took them all. He bought out a Clapton Fool SG Gibson for one track, though it will have been a replica as he sold the original.

And Ringo - very amusing, as you'd expect, looking not a day over 45. Sang every song you'd want him to, except Octopuss's Garden, and sang 3 songs off his last solo album Ringo 2012 which nobody wanted him to. It was kind of like an expensive karaoke night. Ringo was cool even if he has the weakest Beatles material to work with, the rest of the band were hit & miss, and if he toured here again (last time he played here was in 1964) I wouldn't bother to see him for a 2nd time.

Very glad I went, had fun, was entertained and my mother-in-law (who we gave a ticket for Christmas) was thrilled. Once is enough though.

Here are some snippets I filmed on my cellphone.

Here's the setlist:

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/ringo...ctor-arena-auckland-new-zealand-3bdbccb4.html

And here are more reviews.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/entertainment-reviews/news/article.cfm?c_id=1502967&objectid=10864543

The following review has a great photo gallery too...

http://13thfloor.co.nz/reviews/conc...-all-starr-band-vector-arena-february-9-2013/

Mar17swgirl, Everton and Debo like this.
  16. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

LandoThe CapeCalrissian Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 2012
    the beatles are so awesome.. in 100 years people will still be talking about how amazing they were.

The definition of timeless music. They have something for everyone..

Abbey Road and the White Album are my favs though.

17. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Thanks for the review. I don't think it's put me off. :p I'd still like to see him, but if I do I'd go in with limited expectations. A little more limited than they were before - since I'd have to read up on a lot of the other stuff to appreciate it. :p Still, a worthwhile exercise to hear him sing things like 'Yellow Submarine' and 'With A Little Help From My Friends'. Always something to say you've heard a Beatles song performed live by the correct Beatle. Not quite in the same league as hearing Paul sing something like 'Eleanor Rigby', but a good tick.

18. -G-O-A-T-

-G-O-A-T- Jedi Master star 3

Jul 18, 2005
    good review

19. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
  20. -G-O-A-T-

-G-O-A-T- Jedi Master star 3

Jul 18, 2005
  21. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
  22. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
  23. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    [face_laugh] Did they get permission to use that image? I'm sure it's copyrighted.

24. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    I'm sure they did, but even if they didn't, they 1) aren't claiming authorship over the photo, 2) aren't using it for profit (it's a public safety campaign), and 3) give the Beatles free advertising, basically. Win-win. :p

25. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000