main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Why did Obi Wan give up the fight?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Slowpokeking, Feb 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    Luke, Leia and Han didn't go far when he gave up and let Vader killed him, shouldn't he tell Luke to go and try to hold Vader as long as possible?

2. Joe

Joe Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 25, 2012
    Obi-Wan was far too old, and couldn't fight against the robotic Vader. His 'death' would throw Vader off and allow Luke to escape. Distracting Vader was clearly Obi-Wan's intention - his first words after his passing were 'Run Luke, Run'

3. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Because it was totally wizard.

4. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    Because he knew that Luke was their future, and that he would be far more help to him as part of the Force. If it were to distract Vader, you would do that by fighting him as long as possible.

5. sg1A

sg1A Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 20, 2013
    I always thought that Kenobi knew that it had to be Luke that would defeat Vader and bring balance to the force. Kenobi was also not as fast and strong as he use to be when do you think was the last time he spared with someone with a lightsaber? He also discovered how to manifest oneself after death in the force. Kenobi overall is a Jedi Master and was already more powerful then Darth Vader just not on the physical plane i guess but with mastery of the force Obi-Wan wins that one.

6. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013

No, I believe Vader when he calls him weak. I think Obi is an old man.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  7. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Because there was no point in continuing to fight. He was dead anyway. Better to goad Vader into killing him than be captured and tortured. And sure enough, Vader couldn't resist the bait.

8. KilroyMcFadden

KilroyMcFadden Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    He served his purpose. He distracted the guards from the Falcon long enough for the gang to get on board. At the time of his death, Ben was not aware that Luke was about to scream and draw attention to the gang's escape, and did not know that as a result, they would need additional cover. (He was probably unable to foresee this because his midichlorians were old and he didn't have as many Forces left 8-} ) Had Luke not done that, the Falcon would have been close to airborn before the Stormtroopers knew what was going on. Ben is blameless in this instance. (Though you might be able to tag Ben for eating too much cholesterol or something and blocking the midichlorians in his bloodstream, thus not allowing them to deliver the correct amount of Forces to the portion of his brain that he uses to see the future. :D .)

9. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    No, they didn't go far, they were still in the shooting range of the Stormtroopers, and after his death Luke went rampage and refused to go until Obi Wan's ghost told him to go.

10. KilroyMcFadden

Oct 31, 2012
    I've got the scene up right now. Had the gang kept running rather than stopping to watch, they would have been aboard before anyone was the wiser. They were never out of blaster range, btw. the lightsaber fight merely distracted the guards so the gang could sneak aboard. Something they would have been able to do had Luke not stopped in his tracks and started screaming and shooting.

11. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    Another point about that sacrifice, Luke would have never left with Obi still alive. They would have gotten all killed.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  12. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Obi Wan could use Force suggestion to let them leave and hold as long as he could, rather than just die before they went out of danger and let Luke go rampage.

Luke also didn't leave but wanted to avenge Obi Wan when Obi Wan died, tell him to go(Force mind trick could work) and fight as long as possible until they went out of danger.

There is point, let Luke, Leia and Han escape from the Death Star is his goal.

13. KilroyMcFadden

Oct 31, 2012
    GL hadn't made up a force power yet in 1977 that would do such a thing.

Captain Tom Coughlin likes this.
  14. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Then just yell "Run" and try to hold off the Stormtroopers as long as he could.

15. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013

Luke would not have abandoned him. they would have all died

16. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Proof? Actually after his death Luke went rampage and refused to go.

17. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    He didn't even want to leave him after he got struck down. It's not something that comes with "proof", you have to watch the scene and take what's it's trying to tell you out. There's no line that says "I won't leave". But it's there in the scene, none the less.

18. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    No, he wanted to avenge for Obi Wan after Obi Wan was killed. Later he listened to Obi Wan even when he was full of anger.

19. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    Are you really arguing this? You really think Luke would have left Obi there to die willingly? Really?

20. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    If the situation is too emergent(it is) and he could understand if he didn't go Obi Wan and the three would die in vain, yes.

21. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    I think the whole point of the scene is that Obi sacrifices himself so as to save Luke. And part of that, is that yes, so that Luke leaves the Death Star. If he maintained his fight with Vader, they would not have gotten away.

22. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    That's what I'm saying: If he really wanted to save Luke, he should tell Luke to go and hold off Vader and the Stormtroopers as long as possible, not simply gave up the fight when they were still in the shooting range of the Stormtroopers.

23. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    I know, but what I'm saying is that Luke would never have left him. Luke would have tried to save him, and they all would have died. That's why Obi does what he does. He can't do what you're suggesting, because Luke would die trying to get Obi out of there.

24. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Luke is no fool, he later still ran when Obi Wan told him to, even though he was full of anger and wanted to avenge Obi Wan.

25. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    I think we are just going to have to agree to disagree on that

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.