main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Why is Lando getting no love?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by clone3131, Feb 26, 2013.

1. clone3131

clone3131 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2004
    Why is all the talk about the Big 3? Shouldnt it be the Big 4? Lando did play a HUGE role in the final two movies.

First he betrayed Han and basically sold him to the EMPIRE/Boba.

Then in ROTJ he led the Rebels in destroying Death Star II and he personally delivered the final shot that blew the Death Star up - with the Emperor.

You would think he would play a MAJOR role in the formation of the New Republic - and not only because he has past experience in running a major city and mining company.

Luke gained Galactic Stardom for blowing up the Death Star....

So, where is the love for Lando and Billy Dee?

I could see Lando being the head of the New Republic in some capacity....right next to Leia - if she chooses to stay in politics. Remember, Padme wanted out when she got preggers, so maybe Leia wants out and Lando becomes the new Chancellor of the New Republic.

Thoughts on Lando?

-C

[​IMG]

2. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I definitely have love for Lando/Billy Dee and hope he appears in the films.

3. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    We all (or at least most of us do) love Lando and most of us want us back in the ST. But the truth of the matter is, Lando is not a pivotal character in the saga.

Having said that, I think Lando will make an appearance in the ST and if that happens, Bill Dee Williams should be back.

4. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I would like to see him. However, I do think he would have a very small role.

TheManFromMortis likes this.
  5. clone3131

clone3131 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2004

I'd have to disagree with you. I think he was a very pivotal character in the saga. He dictated how the events of the 2nd movie went. He also, then played a major role in rescuing Han. And then LED the invasion on the Death Star - to which he blew up.

-C

Episode Swag likes this.
  6. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    During one discussion about 'who should be the New Leader' there was talk about Lando being the equivalent of the new 'supreme leader' (A whole campaign - 'Lando, a man, not a system' which I'm still going to do as a button to wear at an event that Billy Dee is at!) There's Lando Love out there!!

eDisc, Pro Scoundrel , EvilQ and 3 others like this.
  7. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Zuckuss the Ruckuss Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2013
    The biggest issue with Lando, is not to oversaturate the film with all of these older characters. I think there may be a clever way of getting Lando into the mix, but I don't know how much screen time you can spend on him.

Bazinga'd and TreborSabreon like this.
  8. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    Mark Hamill says he wants the whole gang back, and did mention Billy Dee in that statement.

I agree!

9. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    I've bought many a Lando action figure, and I aim to buy many more!

10. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    I loves me some Lando but let's face facts: Lando Calrissian, much like Chewbacca or the droids was a second-tier character in the OT. The films Lando appeared in were billed as starring Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher for a reason, while Billy Dee Williams is credited under "also starring." This is not meant as a slight against Billy Dee's performance or the character of Lando, as again, I love both and I'd like nothing more than for there to be an appropriate role for Lando in the story. If Leia is not to re-enter politics and serve as the New Republic's version of "Supreme Chancellor," then wouldn't Lando be just perfect on that role? I'd like to think so. :)

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  11. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    But that doesn't translate to his having any importance in a story that I'm quite sure will not be primarily about the OT characters in any event. If that's the case, there can only be so much screen time to devote to OT characters, and I seriously doubt Lando would be considered important enough, in terms of serving the specific story needs of Episode VII, to be among those given a story arc of any significance in the middle of all that. It doesn't matter whether he served any importance to the prior Episodes; it's whether he'll serve any importance to this Episode that matters.

Bazinga'd likes this.
  12. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    With Billy Dee's love for the franchise, I'd be surprised if he doesn't show up.

13. KevinM1

KevinM1 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 15, 2012
    I'd love to see Lando again, but let's remember that BDW is 75 years old. It may not be feasible.

That said, if he can do it, then hell yes. Especially if he can pimp the Star Wars equivalent of Colt 45 (look it up, kids).

14. EvilQ

EvilQ Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 8, 2013
    I'd definitely like to see Lando in Ep. VII.

If they're going to bring back the original characters played by the original cast, I'd consider Luke, Han, Leia, Chewie and Lando as essential.

15. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001
    It's more like the big 7. Luke, Leia, Han, Chewie, Artoo, Threepio and Lando. I want them ALL back!!

The Bops and Anakins_Real_Father like this.
  16. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    I agree with Pfluegermeister on his point. Further, while Lando was important to several key plot points, he is not key to the over reaching story line of the saga. Would Ewoks be considered pivotal characters just because they helped defeat the empire on Endor?

Joe Antonetti and eDisc like this.
  17. Revenge of the Dak

Revenge of the Dak Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 27, 2012
  18. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    It's probably been more than thirty years after the battle of Endor... I'm quite sure that Lando got quite a bit of love over the years. *nudge nudge*

19. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Simple, his name wont draw in as many hits on websites as others rumors, least till we get something more official. Silly question.

20. TheMasterOfSoresu

TheMasterOfSoresu Jedi Master star 1

Jan 23, 2011
    Everybody loves Lando, and I mean everybody.

21. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Actually, I think seeing Lando with a gold cane enveloped by ladies of a wide range of species is just too good an opportunity to pass up. It needs to be done.

22. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    I've said it before and I'll say it again, Supreme Chancellor Calrissian or GTFO! :)

Episode Swag and DARTHSHAME like this.
  23. Lord Tuvitor

Lord Tuvitor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 27, 2003
    Darth Smooth shall rise.

24. Braxus

Braxus Jedi Master star 1

Jul 8, 2001
    I want Dodonna, Madine, Mothma and Ackbar back too. Wedge, Prune Face and Nien Niumb if possible. Plus Vader and Palp as baddies.

Joe Antonetti likes this.
  25. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012