main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

General FF-UK v BIFF v FFBI

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Yoshee, Feb 24, 2013.

?

FF-UK v BIFF vFIBB

1. FF-UK

7 vote(s)
    87.5%
  2. BIFF

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. FFBI

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. Yoshee

Yoshee Former RSA & CR star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2002
    As some of the older members will remember, this place once had another name. I was reminded of this the other day when I was considering including Ireland here again, which of course I have.

With that in mind, and in the interest of making the place appealing to more than just the English, what I want to know is, how would you feel about changing the name back to BIFF (British Isles Fan Force) or FIBB (Fan Force British Isles)?

And please don't base your choice on the fact FF-UK looks like a swear word. :)

2. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Britain doesn't include Northern Ireland whereas United Kingdom does. FF-UK for me

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  3. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I agree with halibut, British Isles does not include Norther Ireland. And are we able to include the Republic of Ireland in this FanForce too (they don't have one in Europe as afar as I know)? If so we can't be leaving them out of the FanForce name.

4. Yoshee

Aug 3, 2002
    I'm sure we can include them at some point. Not worrying about it just yet though.

But this topic isn't about Ireland, it's really just about the name.

5. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    OK, but the name would have to reflect the prefixes and British Isles doesn't include Ireland which we have a prefix for thus excluding members before they arrive.

UK is more than England, just as Britain is.

6. rebeljediknight_88

rebeljediknight_88 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 15, 2005
    Indeed, it is just about the name

i know FF-UK looks like a swear word but its better than FFBI looking like someone spelt FBI wrong or looking like we are a Dwarf fan club ;p (Biffer from the Hobbit)

Yoshee likes this.
  7. Yoshee

Aug 3, 2002
    Pahaha! Yes, a good point.

I'm not bothered about it looking like a swear word (I was one of the people who voted for it back in the day), I was testing the water to see reaction to a name change is all. And it's pretty much as I expected it would be! :p

8. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    UKIFF? (UK Ireland Fan Force)? I know - it looks too much like UKIP but I thought I'd toss it out there. And if Scotland votes for independence you'll have to revisit this again.. (SUKIFF?)

Yoshee likes this.
  9. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I know that Britain doesn't include Ireland or Northern Ireland, but from my outsider perspective and what I learned in school was that the British Isles is a pure geographical name for Britain, Ireland and Isle of Man. I guess that's not how it's seen from the inside.

Eryndil likes this.
  10. Yoshee

Aug 3, 2002
    You're quite right. Sadly though, poilitics always seem to intrude on these discussions. Personally I don't care who recognises who as what. It's irrelevant in terms of FanForce chapters....

11. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    The Irish may disagree with you ;)

12. Darth_Asabrush

Darth_Asabrush Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 21, 2000
    What we have to distinguish between is the different meanings of these islands.

Great Britain = England, Scotland and Wales (and outlying islands)
    The UK = Great Britain and Northern Ireland (and outlying islands)
    The British Isles = The UK, Eire, Isle of Man and other islands

I remember BIFF and liked it as it reminded me of Danger Mouse for some reason. However, FF-UK gets my vote purely because I remember the battle I had to get it and keep it when the prudish Americans felt it was too racey :*

I am and always will be a proud FF-UKer!

13. Darth_Asabrush

Darth_Asabrush Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 21, 2000
    Own up. Who voted for FFBI? That's rubbish! ;)

14. Yoshee

Aug 3, 2002
    That might have been me. Accident. Ahem...