main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Doctor Who Discussion (Russell T. Davies returns)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Guy, Jan 3, 2013.

1. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    My advice is that if you don't like the era that you're watching, jump to another. If you don't like The Aztecs, which is one one of the best 1st Doctor historicals imo, or The Dalek Invasion of Earth, which is considered by many as one of the classics of his era (I find it too long), then don't try to tough it out. The 4th Doctor is generally the most popular of the original series and has many of the best episodes: City of Death would be my suggestion for any NuWho fans who wanted to try Classic Who.

2. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I tried "City of Death" and it was way too campy and production values too low for me. I knew that Classic Who fans tend to consider it one of the best, so it kind of turned me off to the whole thing.

3. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    Probably for the best.:p

There are more serious serials (my personal favorite being The Caves of Androzani), but the production values never get within the ballpark of an American tv series, even one from forty years ago. Even the best Classic Who tends to have at least one poorly conceived monster prop which should never have seen the light of day. In the UK we're used to our Third World production values and theatrical stylings.

4. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  5. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah, as I said, the show wasn't even up to like SyFy channel standards until 2010. It's only really now up to what might be considered US network TV standards, I'd say. Again that doesn't hold me back so I like Classic Who.

Though I have to say, Evan, it amuses me that you find all Classic Who too campy but like Star Trek :p

6. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005

Not all of us had access to Classic Who growing up, but we had access to Star Trek in syndication. So while those of us who are Trekkies got to see some of the campyness along with some great stories from Star Trek (and it didn't hurt the original (much) that some of us were born and raised in the TNG era), those of us without access to Who only heard about the not - so - great production values, so ergo there are those of use who ragged on the Whovians before becoming converted.:p

7. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Personally I think the black and white really helps. Makes it harder to see the crapiness and also reminds you that it's old and you shouldn't expect a lot effects-wise :p

8. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    I feel like I failed for not getting you to like it. :p

9. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Which episode did you try to start her on?

10. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    I don't remember. But I tried a variety. :p

11. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    My top two would have been Amok Time and City on the Edge of Forever. If only because those are the least campy episodes and Shatner himself seems to tone down his hamminess in those eps.

12. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Oh, I started with TNG.

MrZAP likes this.
  13. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  14. themetresgained

themetresgained Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2013
    I started with The Mind Robber. To this day, Troughton remains my favourite Doctor.

Re: the 50th anniversary, I'm thinking a 90 minute or slightly longer feature-length is the most likely option.

I'm completely unenthused for the new episodes starting at the end of March. I suppose the 50th anniversary special is the only thing keeping me even a little bit interested in what's to come.

15. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I didn't actively dislike it. I really like some aspects of it. It's just that most of it comes across as so cold and restrained to me. I just don't understand why they felt the need to make a show that was so incredibly dry. But I still want to watch other parts of TNG and definitely First Contact. I liked the Borg stuff.

But I mean, I'm the type of person who would rather see Classic Who, which is campy but has life to it at least.

16. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    I thought the early seasons of TNG were terribly bland, but it found its feet later on. I don't love the show, mainly because I don't find many of the characters appealing (Data and Worf both start out badly, but are my favourites by season 3 or 4), but it did go on to generate some really good episodes.

I've just finished rewatching Classic Who's The Romans; very camp, very silly, but lots of fun. The low-res B&W picture definitely blunts the cheapness of the sets and costumes, and Barbara actually looks really good in Roman costume and hairstyle. Hartnell does have the weirdest laugh ever, though, and the character giggles like a schoolgirl all the way through this story.

17. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  18. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  19. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Karen Hallion has a new Disney/Who crossover piece:

[​IMG]

Everton, MrZAP, Mar17swgirl and 2 others like this.
  20. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
  21. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I can't wait until I get there and get to see Ian as a Roman ;)

22. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Dude, the First doctor's kinda helpless. Ian's the brains of the whole operation, it seems.

23. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Yep, that's definitely how it works. I think the First Doctor becomes more useful when they start to make him clearly the clever center of plans. But Ian definitely takes on a lot more active responsibility than any modern companions. And is awesome at it. The way he frequently disagrees with the Doctor, especially early on, is really interesting to me.

Ulicus and Random Comments like this.
  24. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    A historical DW episode set in ancient China or Japan or Korea plz!!!

Juliet316 likes this.
  25. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    He reminds me of Yoda.