main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V Clone Wars Continuity Discussion (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by sabarte, May 12, 2008.

1. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    These days your jokes feel so much more real than what really is going on in canon... :rolleyes:
    Maybe that's wishful thinking, but cut the humor from these boards and what would be left?

2. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
  3. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    indeed ;)

4. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    The Duros thread would be all that's left standing.

Random Comments and Zorrixor like this.
  5. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Video game rules are a little different. In those games I can shoot Force lightning literally all day without any risk of dark side corruption, but in the "film-verse" I don't think it works that way.

6. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Point Given

CeiranHarmony likes this.
  7. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    It's not the video game rules that make Force lightning safe. It's the Kyle Katarn.

Come to think of it, CeiranHarmony, if this board were stripped of all of its joke posts, we'd still have lots of Kyle Katarn discussion.

CeiranHarmony and Zorrixor like this.
  8. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    I still consider the original Jedi Knight to have handled Force powers better than than any other video game. I especially love that, once Jerec does his whole "STRIKE HER DOWN, AND REALISE YOUR TRUE DESTINY AS A DARK JEDI! YOUR TRUE POWER" bit, Kyle is ultimately forced down the good or evil path depending on your choices up to that point, instead of the player being given a "big choice" in that moment.

That's really cool.

9. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    I think one of my favorite things about Jedi Knight is that it doesn't portray Kyle as a Force god (though he's most definitely a budding one), but still very much a rookie. In that game, the Force is not your main ability; it's just another tool. Your lightsaber is no more useful than your blaster, especially on the harder difficulties. You have to know when to use your lightsaber, when to use your various Force abilities, and when it's best to do things the old fashioned way and shoot people in the head. This carries over in Mysteries of the Sith.

I love Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy, and it does feel appropriate that the Force becomes more of a primary weapon in those games, but I do think it makes the gameplay overall less interesting than Jedi Knight.

Though in the later games, I do like the implication that Kyle Katarn is one of the few Jedi who has found a perfect balance between the light and dark side of the Force, after his disastrous attempt on Dromund Kaas. It's a gameplay feature first and foremost, but it turns out to be a cool canon tidbit.

10. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Yeah... I didn't really like that at all.

At least insofar as it translated into: "Hey, look, I can shoot lightning at fools whenever I like!"

And, hey, look! The conversation has come full circle!

11. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    :mad:

CeiranHarmony and Ulicus like this.
  12. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    From a storytelling standpoing, I simply dislike the notion of clearly defined good and evil. Obviously Star Wars is pretty much rooted in those classical, simplistic ideals, though I've never felt it necessarily must be married to them. I still have to stifle a facepalm when I think of the initial reaction to Traitor. It's ridiculous, for me at least, to think of the Force being literally split into two colored sides. There's only the Force, and it's the intent that govern the morality of your actions.

Obviously, Force lightning is generally considered a dark side power because it causes pain. That's fine, and I suspect most Jedi would want to stay away from it. But it's never made sense to me that it should be a one way ticket to the dark side. After all, a lightsaber certainly causes pain, if not as agonizing as what Force lightning is obviously capable of doing. But can it not be used as simply an efficient tool? Force choke, for instance, is almost always considered a dark side power, even though it's only a Force grip (and it's use doesn't always seem to stem from the user being a sadistic *******; Luke used it in Courtship of Princess Leia to silence a Nightsister in an attempt to get her to surrender, for example).

Don't get me wrong, I'd prefer this thing be the exception to the rule. I imagine most Jedi fall in the first place because they believe they can use the dark side and remain in control. It's always nice, though, to see different takes on the Force. I miss the idea of Force affinities.

CeiranHarmony, Esg and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  13. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    instantdeath

Hey, if Kyle can conjure lightning without the use of hateful or aggressive emotions (which inevitably warp intent) and is simply using a short burst to paralyze/incapacitate/jump start a car engine, rather than kill someone in an excruciatingly and unneccessarily painful fashion, then I don't think there's anything dark about it at all. And if that's what JA Kyle means when he talks about "how you use them", then more power to him.

I have no problem with that, nor with how Plo Koon described his own experiences with the ability in The Essential Guide to the Force.

My issue is with the idea of a Force user being "balanced between light and dark" -- I think that's like saying that someone has found the right balance between being healthy and unhealthy* -- and JO/JA Kyle using Force lightning in a very liberal, very brutal fashion. Though I suppose I could just write that off that latter point as gameplay. :p

And I've never read the Kemp Jaden Korr stuff (probably should) but I was under the impression they had him as a sort of "walking a fine line between dark and light" kind of character... and I didn't like the implication that this was because of Kyle's training.

* Though, in fact, these days I tend to view all "light siders" as people who have found the proper balance between the Force's yin/yang by default (explaining Obi-Wan's ANH novel quotation, regarding experiencing the Force in its totality) whereas a "dark sider" is someone who is out of whack: they've either fixated on the darkness ("POWER UNLIMITED POWER!"), or been blinded by the light ("I can kill and kill and kill as long as I don't get angry about it", or whatever). EDIT: I think I've phrased that really stupidly, but I can't be bothered to think it over.

:D

14. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    [face_not_talking]

15. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    I never claimed to be perfect.

At least not today.

Random Comments likes this.
  16. Adam_Bosman

Adam_Bosman Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 30, 2007
    I'm going to bite on this. Can someone direct me to a (presumably) existing thread on this topic. Until now I'd assumed the Tantive IV was the same from EpIII / IV including the CW. I'm fairly in the loop, and heard rumblings a while ago about this but assumed we could chalk up design differences to IU modifications between movies. What have I missed?

Fleet Junkies; don't get too carried away...fleets are my least favorite thing in SW. Sorry :( #nottrufan

17. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2010
    So supposedly... the new Insider leaked to the public 2 weeks early, and spoils the entire arc's end through an interview with Filoni about both the arc and the show's future storylines... I admit that the sources on this are ambiguous, but I have a feeling this will prove accurate come Friday night...

MAJOR spoiler ahead. Resist if you do not wish to know the end.

Barris is indeed the culprit. She believes the Jedi are corrupt because they follow the orders of a corrupt Senate, and chooses to use violence as a means to disrupt things. No clue on if she's executed or not. Ashoka turns the Lost 20 into the Lost 21, as her name is supposedly cleared, and she is even offered a chance to return to the order after what is likely a partial exile, but refuses and leaves of her own accord. Supposedly, her storyline will still continue in some form, and her fate as well as the fate of all other show characters is planned out. However, it looks like we now have the gist of the explanation for her absence in Episode III. I will note that while Barriss sudden change of character is unfortunate, and the logic of using violence seems a bit twisted, her idea that the Jedi follow a corrupt Senate are actually pretty accurate, so I can at least partially accept the motive. It's still a needless EU overwrite though, but I'm honestly glad we're approaching the end of this Ashoka issue, and it really does further push Anakin's general distrust of the council and even other Jedi. Not sure how he's gonna feel about Tarkin after this...

Naturally, take this with a grain of salt, but I personally believe it to be fully true.

18. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Zayne Carrick's been there, done that.

19. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Maybe my priorities are screwed up, but I kind of find the most annoying thing about that to be
    The lost 21 thing. If padawans count, then that ruins the best theory to make this lost 20 thing work. Bother.

Oh well. Life and the EU goes on, and getting angry about it hurts me and doesn't change anything, so I might as well let it go. *breathe out*

I also have to admit that a preverse part of me can't wait to see
    how the Barris/Ahsoka shippers on deviantart react

20. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Ahsoka isn't a Master (Hopefully)

And that motive for Baris is stupid as hell

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  21. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2010
    The Lost 21 was only my joke on the matter. I have no idea if she's actually made a member of that, in fact I highly doubt it, as lost padawans have happened before.

22. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
  23. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    the lost 20 does only work after the NSW anyway since before that TOR alone got like lost 23522 Jedi

24. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004

point me to the spoilers please.. original wording etc. where is it leaked? links?

25. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    There are Barriss/Ahsoka shippers? o_O