main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT The Fantastic Ian McDiarmid

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Darthkarma, May 18, 2002.

1. LottDodd

LottDodd Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2002
    I still stand in stunned silence about the recent revalations concerning THE LUCAS and the upcomming sequels. It seems that it is really Episode VII and not some side project. If it is Episode VII, then it has to be a part of the other two trilogies.... the problems, set forth in The Phantom Menace, must still have ramifications in the new trilogy. That being said, I believe that Darth Sidious has cast a long shadow indeed... The Galaxy will still be trying to unravel, (or believe they have finally unravelled) the last of his Machinations. Revelations about Sidious will at least be spoken of in the film.... and I believe there is a distinct possibillity of us seeing Palpatine's Ghost.

Regaurdless, THE FIGS must lead the call for IAN MCDIARMID'S inclusion in the Sequel Trilogy.... Only IAN can save Star Wars... and the man needs work!

FIGS: The Jiminy Cricket that Whispers in Walt Disney's Carbonite Encased Ear......

2. Darth_Kiryan

Darth_Kiryan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2009
    How have i not seen this thread before? I've been here for three years.

i'm off to watch the above video.

3. SaberJedi2

SaberJedi2 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2007
    Wow. I haven't seen this thread in years!!

He really was fantastic in the prequels. Many of the haters that I talk to always say that the acting was just better in the OT and the PT was very much lacking with solid performances. However, I think Ian was really one of the highlights for acting for the prequels. He was SPOT ON in all three movies (even his limited role in AOTC), but especially in ROTS. It was amazing to me that he could so easily step right back into the role of the Emperor (post Mace fight) after 22 years and not miss a beat.

4. LordThrawnStark

LordThrawnStark Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 8, 2013
    It's pretty impressive to watch him work. It was good that he was able to come back and play Palpatine again. More impressive is that he was a young man when he was in ROTJ. I like how they were going to dub his voice with another actor's but he impressed Lucas so much he kept his voice in the film. I've only seen him in one other film after the PT, Sleepy Hollow. What's your favorite Palpatine line in the PT!?

[​IMG]

5. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    To me, he is by far the greatest thing the PT has to offer.

Rawne, Son of a Bith, Sitara and 2 others like this.
  6. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Gunray: "My lord... is that legal?"
    Palpatine: "I will make it legal."

Death T, Samnz and LordThrawnStark like this.
  7. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    It's not a single line, but it's the Darth Plagueis story. The deliciously, yet subtle evil, that drips off of him in that scene is my favorite scene in the Star Wars prequels

8. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I agree about his telling of the Darth Plagueis story.

Yes, McDiarmid was excellent in the PT, and I'm glad he could come back to play the character again. I like that he played the older Palpatine when he himself was a young man, and then played the younger Palpatine when he himself was an older man.

Sitara, Samnz and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  9. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    He did amazing work in that scene (and all through the prequels, frankly). I love his line readings in the opera scene in particular. He seems to choose and phrase his words so expertly. I mean, that's Palpatine to a tee, but it's heightened when he talks to Anakin in ROTS. One reading that particularly gets me: "Darth Plagueis was a DARK LORD OF THE SITH". Listen to the way he says it: like he's embarrassed to be using such a term (but in a good way). I feel this only deepens and enriches the Palpatine character. Wonderful casting. It's sometimes said that Lucas simply "got lucky" with Star Wars. With Ian McDiarmid, at least, I believe that to be true.

10. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013

I agree with this completely. And I am far more critical of the PT than you are, but that scene is just about perfect. I love it.

Cryogenic likes this.
  11. Darth Ruian

Darth Ruian Jedi Youngling

Jan 21, 2013
    Yes! Darth Sidious is my all time favorite Star Wars character. My favorite line of his is in my signature ;)

12. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    The greatest movie villain of all time IMO. How many other villains can say they wiped out almost all their enemies, turned the main hero evil, and ruled absolutely for 20+ years? My favorite scene of his is definitely the opera scene. He plays it so brilliantly and I believe he was sick when they filmed that scene. Another one I love is the Senate scene in TPM. The way he whispers into Padme's ear and manipulates her. I love it! As for an individual line I've always been partial to: "I have waited a long time for this moment, my little green friend." Wonderful! [face_devil]

eht13, Count Yubnub and Sable_Hart like this.
  13. Orochi Oni

Orochi Oni Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 8, 2013
    Everything apart from the silly voice he was forced to put on in ROTS was great. The boy McDiarmid is a pro.

14. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    No love for any of his lines from AOTC?

15. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    "I see you becoming the greatest of all the Jedi...even more powerful than Master Yoda"

16. Ambervikings91

Ambervikings91 Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 1, 2012
    "i want that treaty signed"

17. LordThrawnStark

Mar 8, 2013
    Ohhhhh, that's a good one. "Not from a jedi.."

18. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    Oh, another one of my favorites!

"Wipe them out. All of them."

19. LordThrawnStark

Mar 8, 2013
    Do you mean the way his voice sounded on his "Henceforth, you shall be known as Darth Vader."?

20. LordThrawnStark

Mar 8, 2013

Yes, I also like his "Not for a sith" line too!

21. LordThrawnStark

Mar 8, 2013
    I agree. I really enoyed Ewan Mcgregor in AOTC and ROTS as well.

22. Orochi Oni

Mar 8, 2013
    Yeah. But the most comical part is when he says, "The Force is strong with youuuuuuuu!"

I don't think it was intended for the audience to laugh at that part...

23. LordThrawnStark

Mar 8, 2013

Yeah, I know what you mean. It's 100% lucas's fault too. He messed with his voice in post.

24. LordThrawnStark

Mar 8, 2013
    I also need ot mention "Kill him....Kill him now."

25. Orochi Oni

Mar 8, 2013
    On the subject of McDiarmid being awesome. I remember something from the extra features of TPM. It shows Lucas and Rick McCallum walking outside one of the studios after a day of shooting. I believe it was just after they'd shot the scene where Maul and Sidious are speaking on a balcony on Coruscant. Lucas remarks that it's been a good day. McCallum says, "Ian was good, too." To which, Lucas replied, "Oh, Ian's ALWAYS good."

Just a cool little tidbit. :)

LordThrawnStark and Samnz like this.