main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Homosexuality: the Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by zombie, Jan 24, 2006.

1. wannasee

wannasee Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2007
  2. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    oh no one less church in north carolina for "straights" to get married in! WONT SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE STRAIGHTS?!

3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    You don't understand. This is a slippery slope. Pretty soon straight people won't be able to marry anywhere in North Carolina. Next thing that will happen will be that some ***hole in the General Assembly will propose a constitutional amendment banning straight marriage and it will pass.

Oh, wait...

4. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    epic , Jedi Merkurian , JackG and 4 others like this.
  5. shinjo_jedi

shinjo_jedi Jedi Master star 5

May 21, 2002
    This is good and all, but we're forgetting that gay marriage opponents are impervious to fact.

6. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I think they're hoping it's included in the gay marriage court arguments next week.

7. shinjo_jedi

shinjo_jedi Jedi Master star 5

May 21, 2002
    That would be nice. Of course we've known it all along, but scientific data may appeal to Kennedy moreso than emotion.

8. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Many gay marriage opponents assume that the American Academy of Pediatrics is a "liberal organization" or some **** like that and that's it's all a conspiracy by Satan.

Or something.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  9. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    Maybe they confuse them with NAMBLA.
    Sorry.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  10. armisto

armisto Jedi Youngling

Mar 25, 2013
    Well, some nation already supports same sex marriage and your right it has more effects on people. I have nothing against them but I'm not a pro either. Besides, same sex marriage is a matter of the states, and the unions stay unrecognized on a federal level. This means that, although gay couples may derive some marriage-related tax breaks on the state level, they will not on the subject of their federal income tax. However, the "second parent adoption credit" actually gives an advantage to gay married couples over heterosexual ones.

11. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    People getting bent out of shape about "political expediency" would do well to remember that for the most part, we're talking about people from the representative branch of government. Of course their views will "evolve" in keeping with the evolution of the views of their constituencies, that's exactly how our government is supposed to work.

12. darth-calvin

darth-calvin Jedi Grand Master star 2

Dec 10, 2002
  13. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Things sure have changed a lot in ten years, when it was first really being discussed here on the JC.

14. darth-calvin

Dec 10, 2002
    Yes it has! Some of the arguments were down right nasty. Its nice to see things more civilized and people seem to have accepted the fact of ssm.

15. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005
    I don't think you're being fair here. I don't think anyone would have any problem with a politician saying "My personal beliefs are X, but my constituents clearly demand Y and as their legal representative, that is how I will vote in office" (Dear God, please oh, please give me such a politician!). What politicians in fact do is say "My personal beliefs are Y and that's how I vote. No, they were never X. Well...oh...so you have me on record saying Y once? Yeah..about that...I've...evolved since then. Oh look! That other politician! He believes X! Can you believe that guy? He claimed he believed in W once! Flip flopper!!!"

It is the blatantly dishonest nature of their wanton political maneuverings that is offensive, not the fact that they properly read political tea leaves.

NYCitygurl likes this.
  16. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    If the United Methodist Church ever again wants to be relevant in American religious life, this is probably just the kinds of things its churches need to continue doing. American progressives need to reclaim true Christianity from the religious Right.

Mortimer Snerd likes this.
  17. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Ah yes. That was the time period in which 3/4 of the posts were along the lines of "Teh gayz can't get married because they can't reproduce!" and all arguments about a promise to reproduce not being included in a marriage license application and about post-menopausal couples and infertile couples not being denied marriage licenses, fell on deaf ears.

This is a much better time.

18. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Has the discourse really changed in ten years, or have almost all the hardcore religious right/Westboro Baptist sympathizer types been driven away?

19. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    I'm comfortable with either scenario.

20. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    The terms of the discussion have changed at a fundamental level, Nothing shows that better than the difference between 2004 and 2012, when gay rights went from boosting Republicans to helping Democrats. Prop 8 squeaked by in 2008, and it would get crushed if the same initiative were attempted today. You better believe John Roberts is well aware of that last fact in particular.

Juliet316 and Jabbadabbado like this.
  21. wannasee

wannasee Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2007
    The discourse has changed in that liberals can now insult, accuse, and degrade conservatives with impunity; this bullying is what has quieted conservatives.

TOSCHESTATION likes this.
  22. darth-calvin

Dec 10, 2002
    I would like to see some evidence of that. The Fox News study suggests the exact opposite

23. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Exhibit A: http://boards.theforce.net/forums/community.10851/ :p

darth-calvin likes this.
  24. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    While you & I would love that, we'll just say I'm not holding my breath for it to happen any time soon...

Souderwan likes this.
  25. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    "...of the people by the people..." is just a pleasant sounding ideal. Kinda like how an oath that I hold close to my heart ensures that my mail will be delivered... in idealistic defiance of a hurricane.