main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"This deal is getting worse all the time!"

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by IG_2000, Mar 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    When his involvement ends up being for the worse? Pretty much, yeah.

2. venepe

venepe Jedi Master star 1

Feb 25, 2004
    I agree that La wasn't living up to their original vision. My desire was that Disney would take steps towards reclaiming the vision and having LA become an industry leader instead of just letting it go. I KNOW is a good business decision. No arguments there. My point was that Disney could have put profits aside for now and invest in improving LA. The desire if of course due to my love for Star Wars and respect to the Maker.

3. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I don't. GL is SW.

4. Samnz

Samnz Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    That makes no sense since Lucas created SW and defined it therefore.

Excuse me if I'm wrong, but you're honestly enjoying that other people lose their jobs????[face_hypnotized]

5. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    I don't agree Lucas was a poison to SW. He was the visionary who created it.

And I don't know what exactly that has to do with LA having issues anyway. Most people who complained about the problems with LA always said he was a nice person who had a distinct vision, but that didn't always translate to management.

So let's not turn this into a Lucas-bash.

He did his thing. LA ran for 30 years and produced some great games, and even one with Steven Spielberg's input(The Dig).

6. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    We should keep in mind that LA != GL

7. KilroyMcFadden

KilroyMcFadden Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    If you need to tell yourself that, that's fine with me. I am delighted that the culture of GL he's being expunged from my beloved Star Wars.

8. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I wonder: If Disney goes too far, will GL be missed?

9. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Was that you that did the GL "Miss Me Yet" Pic? LOL

10. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    No, but I totally agree with it.

11. KudosDas

KudosDas Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 14, 2005
    I have to agree with Samnz insofar as there wouldn't be Star Wars without George Lucas. That said, if there are specific issues you have with GL as they relate to the Disney deal and the subsequent announcements go ahead and toss them out there for all to discuss. If you just want to bash George I'm pretty sure there's already several threads on this forum alone devoted to that. To echo ShaneP, let's not turn this thread into another one when there's a whole heck of a lot of other things to discuss. ;)

Every perceived success and failure in the history of Star Wars doesn't rest on one man's shoulders. Everyone, even the most creative people out there, comes up with bad ideas, or runs into difficulty in expressing those ideas to others. It was no secret that LucasArts was in trouble for several years, and had been hit and miss with its products for a while before the musical chairs with its upper management. Inside reports have suggested that George had some involvement with altering the direction of the game, but to what degree his role had in stalling out the project as a whole is still within the realm of conjecture.

Did Lucas' involvement and subsequent shifting of gears for the game's direction stall the 1313's development? Certainly, but there were a lot of people who had to at least agree to examine those ideas for the stall to occur in the first place. Any time you're given new toys, in this case characters and ideas about potential story lines, it's going to take you sometime to get back down and focus on the actual production of the product. Did the Disney deal seal the untimely demise of 1313? Almost certainly since Bob Iger has stated publicly that he wants all focus on Episode VII and to avoid potential over-saturation of Star Wars as a whole leading up to Disney produced material. In a post-Disney pre-Episode VII world projects such as 1313, Clone Wars, and Detours are just distractions that take away from the future of Star Wars as Disney see it.

To say that you're excited to see what Star Wars will look like post-GL is one thing. Whether we're giddy or full of trepidation at the prospect of Star Wars without Lucas at the helm it is going to happen. It is happening as we speak, although GL will be involved, albeit in a more peripheral way than before, whether you like it or not. To say that you want GL "expunged" from "your" Star Wars entirely, well, you might as well walk away from the franchise right now because whether you like it or not his influence, whether direct or indirect, permeates every ounce of it and will do so for as long as Star Wars exists.

If you want Star Wars free of any GL influence that I guess you'd better hand over the keys to the Falcon and ride of into the sunset. Whether or not he's directly involved he is the embodiment of Star Wars, with as many love and hate moments with it as you do, probably more. His relationship with it is probably far more complicated than any of us will ever know. So long as there are people involved in any aspect of Star Wars GL will still have some influence over the franchise, because in one way or another he's helped to inspire those people and captured their hearts and imaginations somehow with that little movie he created back in '77.

Oh, and that guy that's lined up to direct the next Star Wars movie? He just finished bringing inspiration from the Lucas create "Wars" into that other "Star" franchise. ;)

12. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Too bad about Lucasarts. All good things must come to an end though.

13. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    I heard that Lucasfilm had just laid off a good number of workers at ILM. Is this true?

14. Chainmail_Jedi

Chainmail_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 26, 2013
    "good" in terms of quality, is most certainly subjective. TFU II? LOL

15. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I doubt it

16. Heero_Yuy

Nov 28, 2000
    Define, "too far."

17. Kev Snowmane

Kev Snowmane Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2013
    Some people who worked with ILM were fired as the result of the LA shutdown.

http://variety.com/2013/digital/news/lucasarts-shutdown-triggers-layoffs-at-ilm-1200332765/

Overall, the same pattern that developed at Marvel is developing at Lucasfilm: 1) an unwillingness to share profits "outside the family", which is leading to profitable collaborations being withdrawn, 2) a myopic focus on the "core" profits which comes from "bean counter" thinking designed for maximum take at the expense of creative diversity, and 3) fan response that is essentially divided into two camps: a) fans of the existing material that are justifiably upset at the company's dismissal of their PoV and b) company supporters who embrace whatever the company will do and sneer at those who do not.

ARAJediMaster and Padme501st like this.
  18. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    They were good in the 90's and early 2000's.

19. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    What I'm really worried about is the death of pre-ROTJ content.

ARAJediMaster and Kev Snowmane like this.
  20. Heero_Yuy

Nov 28, 2000
    We'll still be mostly ok with that. Save for the PT era of course, which we will definitely see less of.

21. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Lol, problem is that George IS "your beloved Star Wars."

KudosDas likes this.
  22. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    "his beloved Star Wars" = OOT only

23. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    What's wrong with liking both? Lol. I prefer the PT but I would take the OT over almost any other movies out there. :)

24. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I was just clarifying HIS opinion. To ME, there is one hexology, NOT two trilogies.

Darkslayer likes this.
  25. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Whatever Disney does, if they put anything Lucasfilm in the Disney Vault, I will move to another planet.

ARAJediMaster likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.