main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Darth Maul in Star Wars Rebels

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by StarWarsFan91, May 22, 2013.

1. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    Should he? Should us fans be shown Maul's actual fate, his true death?

Or should he not be shown at all?

I am sort of conflicted when it comes to this. One one hand, i want to see Maul die for good, a death that should have happened to him in TPM, and i want to see this on screen, not just in a book or comic. However i don't like the idea of Maul surviving past the events of ROTS and into the dark times era. I like to believe that there are only 2 sith at a time affecting the galaxy when ROTS starts, and that carries on during the dark times.

Besides, why would Palpatine keep Maul alive as a tool, when he has Vader?

Now maybe we will see Maul's true fate in the final TCW episodes, however if that doesn't happen, should his character be presented in Rebels then?

If that was the case, if he does show up in Rebels, it should be done in flashbacks set before ROTS. Basically he could then make an appearance in Rebels without actually being alive in the dark times era.

Or is it better for Maul to still be kicking when dark times comes along?

What do you think about all of this?

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    As opposed as I was to his return, opposed enough to rage-quit Season 4 of the show...I think we should probably know exactly what plans Sidious had for Maul and whether Maul was able to keep Mandalore. (Probably not.) And the latter would be a good way to incorporate Bo-Katan.

That could be done in the season 6/bonus content though, although flashbacks in Rebels might work.

3. themetresgained

themetresgained Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2013
    Please God no. One of the reasons I haven't watched TCW is because Maul was resurrected.

4. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    He was probably the best villain in the show, so you missed good stuff

5. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Maul has to be dealt with somewhere

6. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    First time I'm owning up to this:

Maul actually grew on me.

I still don't agree with resurrecting him but there it is. And Savage's death scene was one of a very few times that I cried during a TCW episode.

7. themetresgained

Feb 23, 2013
    I missed a sparkly black lightsaber blade too, apparently. No thanks.

8. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    I hope Boba Fett disintegrates him.

CoolyFett likes this.
  9. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I hope the disintegrater is either Sidious or Obi-Wan.

(I can't stand Boba Fett.)

10. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    Directly from George Lucas, because he doesn't like vibroblades.
    So not really the fault of anyone else...

rumsmuggler likes this.
  11. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    Is this that Thrawn/Mara thing again?

12. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    Yes, Maul needs to be dealt with in Rebels if he isn't finished off in the bonus material (it's almost 100% certain he won't be). So while I originally preferred him to die before the events of RotS (Maul outlasting Sidious' second apprentice Tyranus doesn't sit so well with me), much like you do, StarWarsFan91, I'm now totally open to him making a final return. It doesn't really matter to me whether his story still centers around Mandalore, as they can introduce the planet in different plotlines, but I'd love to see Maul as an initial member of the Inquisitorius, or even a test for Darth Vader. Plus, it's a perfect excuse to have Sam Witwer return as a voice actor without bringing in the highly overpowered Starkiller into the mix. The flashback idea I can live with, but I think that's less than ideal and it would be more satisfying to see Maul in action during the present unless whole flashback episodes are created around him.
    The darksaber was to me one of the coolest original concepts in TCW. It is truly distinct from modern lightsabers and is a callback to the Old Republic era, which I found neat.

Darth_BDO, Sudooku, klooney and 4 others like this.
  13. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I think Maul's fate needs to be addressed, but whether or not it is addressed in Rebels - as opposed to a novel, game or comic - depends on the time frame of the show. If it takes place soon after ROTS, then sure. If it takes place in the last few years leading up until ANH, no thanks.

Or they could address it without explicitly showing it, like some conversation between Vader and Palpatine that implies Vader became aware of Maul's existence at some point in the past (relative to Rebels) and had him eliminated or something like that, in which it is relatively unimportant to the plot and merely mentioned but not shown.

14. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011

Close, but not quite that bad.

I haven't found a writer, producer or book that spends pages of prose or hours of screen time talking about how awesome Boba Fett is and how much the other characters love him, but I think he's way overblown in the fandom and his surviving the sarlacc pit was just ridiculous.

V-2 and The Shadow Emperor like this.
  15. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I think one of the points of Maul's crushing defeat, the death of his would-be apprentice, and the destruction of his criminal empire in The Lawless was to show how―despite everything he believed to the contrary―Maul's place in the lineage of the Sith was well and truly gone. He failed at Naboo, and has been chasing the shadows of his former glory ever since Savage pulled him from the hellhole he'd fallen into. Maul's been replaced, as Palpatine so bluntly put it, and though he still lives, it's not as a true Sith Lord any longer.

I'm quite content with Maul's survival, assuming he becomes one of the first Emperor's Hands. The Dark Side Sourcebook even lays a foundation for the idea, noting that it was Maul's effectiveness as a servant operative that led Palpatine to employ the concept in a larger, non-Sith capacity. It would allow him a number of potential plotlines, from rebel hunter to Jedi-killer. And as for his fate, I would personally prefer an adaptation of Old Wounds. They've already adapted the cybernetic appearance of Maul and his quest for vengeance against Kenobi from the comic, it seems only fitting that they would wrap up his storyline in the manner that first saw his return. Not to mention Old Wounds is a damn good story, and helps to plant the seeds of Owen Lars' distrust of Obi-Wan.

16. themetresgained

Feb 23, 2013
    I also never saw the point of the obsession with Boba Fett. I made the mistake of saying so in my local comic book shop, though, and I got at least one dirty look.

17. Garrett Atkins

Garrett Atkins Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 11, 2013
    Yeah, that's the problem.

18. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    I think I'd rather have his fate dealt with in the bonus stuff.. but Maul's fate is one of the things I want to see on screen, not left to a book or whatever. I wonder if Maul's unnatural means of surviving and Palpatine's line to Anakin about figuring out the secret to stopping death tie in together at all.

19. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012

You missed the greatest duel since ROTS then.
    [​IMG]

As for Maul - Sidious's "I have other uses for you" wasn't the original. The book Shadow Conspiracy made it quite clear Maul died being electrocuted by Sidious and what's more it was dubbed using Tim Curry's voice which means it was a more recent addition. This leads me to conclude that it was added in for Maul's use in Rebels.

20. thesevegetables

thesevegetables Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 11, 2012
  21. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    There was clearly a reason to keep him alive when Sidious had the opportunity to kill him. They only left us with the cliffhanger that Sidious had further uses for him. They've gotta follow up on that somehow.

Not sure when and how, but I'm curious to see. The universe is so big, that he could technically still be alive somewhere in the OT. Though if they do choose to kill him, I'd reccomend having it be unmistakable. I mean, his first death seemed pretty conclusive, but we were proved wrong.

22. themetresgained

Feb 23, 2013
    I can't tell, who's fighting him in that duel?

23. kubricklynch

kubricklynch Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 10, 2012
    Maul and Savage vs Sidious

24. VanishingReality

VanishingReality Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2013
    I credit Uncle Owen with the kill of Maul, and I like the idea of the unlikely hero. That's what I expect to happen in Rebels.

25. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    ^Maul and Savage vs Sidious.

Maul is back and far as we know still kicking. As such if TCW's bonus material isn't going to resolve his fate I say lets let Rebels do it. I like the idea of him playing another is the Empires minions sent like a brutal assassin on various missions perhaps still hanging on to a shred of hope of proving himself as not a failure.

CoolyFett likes this.