main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

They do, they have taken certain scenes that just get told to us later on and played them out, as well as adding their own things and of course changing character dialog, as well as cutting a lot of background characters and sometimes merging those into others.

Talisa Maegyr for example doesn’t exist in the books, there is a character similar to her, but there she is just a noble from one of the lesser houses sworn to the Lannisters, which falls in love with Robb (or vice versa). Whilst there is no Locke in the show, but the book has a Sellsword named Vargo Hoat who leads his own Company of Essos mercs in the service of Tywin and later Bolton, in his stead. So the show is not really a one to one adaptation.

2. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    I'm not really going to care, I think. No matter what the show does (and it already diverges in many ways), it's only going to be handled with a fraction of depth that the books will eventually provide. The ending is more or less irrelevant - there've been enough theories bouncing around for years that it'd be very difficult to be surprised by anything that happens. How we get there will be the interesting part.

RC-1991, Point Given and Gorefiend like this.
  3. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    But you'll keep watching? Were I that into the books, I might not want even a hint of what was coming.

4. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    I don't watch it now. :p

But, if/and/when it passes the point where the books are, I'll keep watching, yes. I almost never begin anything without knowing the ending first, so it's not much of a loss for me.

5. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

I like both for their own merits, the show is clearly more condensed and has slightly better pacing, as the books sometimes really just come to a grinding halt, especially the more recent ones, though this is of course also the strong point of the books as they are forced to do way more world building, because they don’t have visuals.

A thing that is also very interesting about the books is that it is always told from POV, so we never get a full picture of the events, which becomes especially amusing if we here other
    people talk about the same event, we witnessed earlier but take away totally different things from it, whilst the show of course has to have things happen more in the open.

So I of course hope the books get finished before the show catches up, but if not, I really don’t mind and will just keep following both.

6. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
  7. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    Thinking about it, the story itself doesn't hold a lot of value for me. It's interesting, yes, but nowhere near as interesting as the world that's been constructed for it. That's what the show lacks. It's an adaptation of the story, but strips the world of everything that made it unique and fascinating in the first place.

8. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

Why did no one tell me this exists?! The Falcon as flying disco night club is awesome! :D

Rogue_Follower likes this.
  9. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    I find it unlikely that Martin will let the story conclude first on the show- I fully believe they'll do their rumored prequel series first (which I imagine would involve the Mad King)- but if the show were to continue on first, sure, I'd keep watching it. Both mediums have their clear strengths and weaknesses, and I prefer not to overly discriminate one against another.

Interestingly enough, the majority of critiques against the ASOIAF series involve the amount of world building spent in what is, at least comparatively, a fairly mundane world. I'd say I'm the opposite; the world of ASOIAF is of some interest for me, but A Feast for Crows and A Dance with Dragons show that the world itself isn't a unique enough place to make exploring it for hundreds of pages a thrilling endeavor. Rather, it's the people that sets the series apart. Sure, Martin has his archetypes- the Unsullied, Ironborn and Dothraki in particular are all ripped out of Fantasy 101- but there are so many nuances that set these people apart. But even so, what's even more interesting is the individual people. Martin has an excellent grasp of characterization and of effectively using the third person limited viewpoint. He more clearly conveys the personalities of his characters than any fantasy author I've yet to come across.

The world? Another pseudo-medieval world with most of the traditional fantasy elements visible, but turned down several notches. But the people? You won't find anything quite like it in another fantasy work.

CooperTFN likes this.
  10. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    You know what's more interesting than the people of ASoIaF? All the people who died before it started. :p

LI's not referring to the world as a block but, I would assume, the history of the world.

The Loyal Imperial likes this.
  11. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    We have a winner.

12. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    This... this is more canon than TCW. It must be.
    • Republic Imperator-class Star Destroyers!
    • Anakin has a holocron!
    • Threepio-see
    • Separatist Imperator-class Star Destroyers. Wait what.
    • R-22 Spearheads at the Jedi Temple!
    • Yoda visits Dagobah. Ahem, Leland, ahem.
    • lol Mas Amedda
    • Lando's father's name is Lindo.
    • E-wing prototype
    EDIT: 10,000th post.

13. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Palpatine's visage = force mask confirmed!!! :D:p

14. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Happy 10,000th RF!

15. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    Sooooooo, I am out in the boondocks of West Virginia to help run the rifle and shotgun ranges at my old Scout camp. This is simultaneously exciting and terrifying.

16. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    Try to avoid getting shot.

17. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009
    What's great is that, while I have decent experience with rifles and pistols, I have never so much as held a shotgun in my life. This week is pretty much a crash course for me (campers don't show up until next Sunday).

18. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    I was gonna make a Deliverance joke, but instead I'll just chuckle at the thought of boyscouts with shotguns :)

19. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009
    Wrong state for Deliverance, ID :p

20. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    The word "boondocks" is enough for Deliverance.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  21. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Deliverance? Put a tin can on a tree stump and that was my childhood. :p

22. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Oh yeah so it's my birthday and stuff. :p

Also Alexander the Great died 2,360 years ago... to make room for me.

RC-1991, blackmyron, Zeta1127 and 4 others like this.
  23. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Slowest. Reincarnation. Ever.

24. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    Celebration!
    [​IMG]

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  25. The Loyal Imperial