main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation The Competition

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Barriss_Coffee, Jun 20, 2013.

1. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    In 2015 we have the Avengers 2. And of course, the recently-announced Independence Day 2 (July 2015) and the on-again-off-again Jurassic Park Maybe IV (now 2015) (which is a "go" again as of this post, but could very well be canceled tomorrow). Looks like we might get some competition from the Jeff Goldblum bunch. Alas.

What other big flicks are coming out?

(apologies in advance if this thread exists -- I don't remember seeing one before...)

Episode Swag likes this.
  2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    There's going to be a Jurassic Park IV? *headdesk*

I remember the competition between AOTC and Spider-Man in 2002 but I think if Avengers 2, Independence Day 2 and Star Wars 7 are released a month apart, it will be fine. The biggest issue might be people wanting to see each film multiple times and their wallets screaming in protest.

3. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Avengers 2 and Star Wars 7 will both be must sees for me, and SW will be multiple times most likely. So I doubt I'll see anything else that summer. Disney will make an insane amount of money that summer.

4. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    My much-promoted Tintin sequel will pwn all 2015 comers. Because taste is highly subjective... and usually irrational.

Andy Wylde and Poor Greedo like this.
  5. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Independence Day 2 I'll skip but Avengers 2 and Jurassic Park IV are must sees. Oh, and I think I might see that Star Wars film eventually. :p

cdgodin, Immortiss, spicer and 2 others like this.
  6. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I could see Disney changing the release date of either Avengers 2 or Star Wars VII to avoid self-competition.

7. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    Here's a few that I know of that hasn't been mentioned yet:

Assassin's Creed
    Ratchet and Clank
    Pirates of the Caribbean 5
    Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon 2
    Finding Dory
    Kung Fu Panda 3
    Mission Impossible 5
    Ant-Man

Episode Swag likes this.
  8. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    Pirates of the Caribbean 5
    --------------

still milking that captain sparrow thing dry are they?

9. rocknroll41

rocknroll41 Jedi Master star 4

May 28, 2013
    I have a feeling Star Wars will be set for late summer since Avengers 2 is already locked in for May. I remember a few months back a UK site started a rumor that Star Wars 7 would come out July.

Episode Swag likes this.
  10. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    I can see that happening for the release dates (May and July).

Independence Day I don't really care about, but at most other times JP4 would be a must see... even though I liked the first JP the most. Who knows, they may end up putting it on hold again anyway.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  11. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    I think if one of those movies is going to be moved, it will be Avengers.

EviL_eLF and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  12. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    It would certainly be nice. Star Wars deserves its traditional May release date.

13. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    I think Star Wars is a bigger event. And they will want to get it in the theaters in early summer. Hence, it's traditional late may release

14. rocknroll41

May 28, 2013
    Wow...2015 is gonna be an awesome year for movies, looks like.

Episode Swag likes this.
  15. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    The Fantastic Four reboot and Justice League (if it ever happens) are also scheduled for summer 2015 as of right now.

16. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Those are both "meh" for me. :p

17. rocknroll41

May 28, 2013
    Justice League will be delayed more than likely cause Man Of Steel director Zack Snyder and writer Dave Goyer both said that they wanna do a Man Of Steel sequel first before doing Justice League. William Beal had written a script for the version that woulda come out in 2015 but the studio decided to throw his script in the trash cause it apparently sucked. They have now signed on Goyer to write a totally new script, hence the delay.

18. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    I'm semi interested in Justice League but I honestly fear it's going to be an absolute disaster. It just seems to much like a reaction to Avengers success. I have no interest in Fantastic Four.

spicer likes this.
  19. Corvax855

Corvax855 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 23, 2011
    Avengers 2, Pirates 5, Ant-Man, and a few others are all Disney releases, so they don't really count.

The big elephant in the room that no one has mentioned is Avatar 2. If James Cameron is able to get that out by December of that year, it's going to give Episode VII a run for it's money, no pun intended.

Jedirush2112 likes this.
  20. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Yes, well said.

Edit: Avatar 2 is also "meh" for me. :p I never even saw the first one.

21. -Jedi Joe-

-Jedi Joe- Jedi Master star 2

May 6, 2013
    The first Avatar grabbed everyone by surprise as it was visually stunning and put the audience in awe. It also caused a paradigm shift, showing that 3D cinematography can be used artistically rather than as a gimmick. It was a groundbreaking film in terms of visual experience, which drew in audiences. However, the visual experience can only take you so far. The story, while not bad at all, was noticeably derivative and generic. Once hitting DVD and Blu Ray, it wasn't nearly as magical as seeing it in an IMAX 3D theater. The film was generally forgotten. How many people were talking about it a year later vs. people talking about Avengers a year later? Not many. It was a flash in the pan. It made a LOT of money, but only because it took people by surprise. Once that surprise was gone, the magic was gone.

Will Avatar 2 be visually amazing? Yes. Will it make a lot of money? Yes. However, Star Wars Episode VII will have the establishment of a very successful saga behind it, and Avengers 2 will have the momentum of ten films building it up. Avatar 2? It will have a six-year-old flash-in-the-pan flick behind it. That doesn't mean it won't make a profit, but it won't beat Star Wars or Avengers.

22. Corvax855

Corvax855 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 23, 2011
    Trust me, I'm rooting for Episode VII in this case. However, I wouldn't underestimate James Cameron, especially when you consider his track record with sequels (Aliens, and Terminator 2).

Jedirush2112 likes this.
  23. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Are they still making those Tintin films? I haven't heard much about the second film. I know at one time Spielberg was going to direct one.

24. ScorpionJedi

ScorpionJedi Jedi Master star 3

Jun 19, 2013
    Has anybody mentioned the World of Warcraft yet? As for Justice League, they want to fast-track a sequel to Man of Steel with it being released as soon as next year(How they are doing it is beyond me), and then have Justice League released in 2015.

25. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012

Dranem likes this.