main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
  2. ScorpionJedi

ScorpionJedi Jedi Master star 3

Jun 19, 2013
    I wish Dark Horse or someone creates the concept of a Star Wars multiverse.

3. The Kulvax Sisters

The Kulvax Sisters Jedi Master star 2

Jan 10, 2013
    So the Post-ROTJ is not being used, what's the news again?

4. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Is Chee's Holocron presentation being liveblogged anywhere?

5. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Hey, I'm a huge fan of the EU, though it is much preferable (and likely) to me that the new ST doesn't bind itself to the EU, or attempt to rehash it in any way. We want the best possible movies -- being forced to work with the EU won't do that, let's be honest -- and I'd like to keep the two timelines separate in my mind. Sure, it is regrettable that these new movies (which we were told weren't happening and therefore the EU could do its thing in the era) have to trample what came before, but the decision to make the films is history now.

Edit: I mean I don't want to see rehashes of EU events, though I would like to see a few EU characters in the films, if possible and not onbnoxiously done.

6. ugaaccountant

ugaaccountant Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 9, 2011
    The buzzkill article can be used to argue my point just as well as yours. It's talking about the Legacy rumor, which is not what I'm saying.

I'm saying, as much as Kenedy is talking about starting fresh, I am convinced that they are going to realize that several of the most important developments in the EU have to be included now that they've decided to use the original big 3 actors. Luke is going to reestablish the Jedi and Han/Leia have to have a significant romantic relationship. To not do those things would spit on the spirit of the OT movies which they've said over and over they are trying to emulate not spit on. Then the next couple of things such as the empire not being in power anymore (or else the OT was kind of worthless) and the big 3characters having kids that will carry the torch forward seems very likely as well. I think almost everyone agrees the details will change, but the basic shape of the EU is what makes the most sense given all the articles, casting list, and interviews that are out there.

7. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Sure, but the basic shape of the EU with Luke re-establishing the Jedi order, Han and Leia getting married and having kids, etc. - all that is the logical continuation of the story told in the OT. Hence, it wouldn't be any different had the EU not existed.

8. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I don't think McWeeny's article is meant as just refuting only the Legacy of the Force adaptation, he's talking about the EU as a whole in it, not just specifically that. As to the logical conclusions that the EU went with (Luke with new Jedi order, Han & Leia with kids) I can see that happening in Ep. 7 but to use the EU boils down to using the specific novel character offspring and grand arc of what happened, and putting it at a Post-Cruicble timeline, which are things I don't see happening.

ugaaccountant likes this.
  9. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Opening Crawl: EU Edition: Leia and Han have had three kids, one of which was murdered at age nine and another of which turned to the Dark Side and was killed by his own sister. Meanwhile, Luke got married and had a son, but the person Luke married was murdered by Leia's evil son. Meanwhile, creatures from another Galaxy killed Chewie.

10. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    How's that for "clear and concise"? To be sure, that's actually a good, brief summary. Make them wonder, "Wow I sure missed a lot of [stuff] that happened in between time. Does that mean I have to read the EU?" *Shakes head*

Immortiss likes this.
  11. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I posted it to be funny, actually.

12. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    No, I'd say people's reaction would be: "What the hell? I'm outta here!"

13. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Or it would be: "Why not have the movies cover all this rather than skipping over it?"

14. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
  15. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I'd love to see Plinkett's reaction...

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  16. ScorpionJedi

Jun 19, 2013
    Since everyone here seems to be talking about the EU, I think I should mention this. So on Facebook, I'm a fan of the page "I want new Star Wars movies to be consistent with Expanded Universe"

They just posted this, not sure if it has any weighting, it seems like good news for some, what do you guys think?

17. ugaaccountant

Apr 9, 2011
    True, that would be a weird way of explaining it. Instead, I'd focus on the broad arcs: The empire was toppled, The Jedi have been re-established but now there's a new threat rising ...

However, a bad opening crawl isn't a death sentence. Phantom menace was incredibly hard to decipher reading it cold prior to knowing what was going on. Taxation of trade routes as the catalyst of the movie is actually really low on the list of opening crawls any of us would have come up with.

18. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    The things I mentioned have to explained.

19. ugaaccountant

Apr 9, 2011
    That's all I'm asking for. Just some real honest thought giving to keeping it intact, with some changes as needed but might need far fewer changes than people think. No need to nuke it when a few surgical cuts will do the job while keeping this massive revenue stream going for the EU. Everyone wins!

20. ugaaccountant

Apr 9, 2011
    They are explained, in the books. Those books and the continuity they represent have not been nuked yet. As to why Luke/Leia/Han are going to be "retired" they can reference their previous adventures that have caused them to take a step back. You know, sort of like how Crucible just explained it.

21. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    Already debunked, on twitter, they're helping shape a future eu, with the ST, they're not being consulted on past details, like character details, look up Eric Geller, and Aaron Goins on twitter, they talked to Pablo, and Leland, that was a mistranslation from a polish website. They won't know whaat happens with the current EU till they are allowed to see the script.

Their story team is preparing for post episode seven.

22. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Don't go breaking your heart, but in the Lit forum someone elaborated on that. Basically, it means the "new EU" will be more consistent because nobody's talked to Hee and Hidalgo yet.

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/...nds-to-release-ep-7-in-2015.50004776/page-226

From someone who was at CEII:
    Aaron Goins ‏@avgoins 2m
    @PeteMorrisonLR @eleventhirtyate When I talked to Pablo about the story team he indicated that it meant a more cohesive story going forward

Aaron Goins ‏@avgoins 1m
    @PeteMorrisonLR @eleventhirtyate ...but we wouldn't know what would come of the existing EU until they see the script for Episode VII​

InterestingLurker likes this.
  23. ScorpionJedi

Jun 19, 2013
    So having heard this, do you think the significant characters like Jaina Solo, Ben Skywalker etc could in fact be safe?

24. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    But not everyone reads them. If these things aren't mentioned, the audience will be confused.

25. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I think if the filmmakers want to use the EU characters and history, and it opens up re-selling selling the old books, hey, good for them! If they think they can pull it off, that would be cool bit of cross-media marketing on a scale never seen since ever. But I don't think they should be beholden to that specific post ROTJ history and character identities. So it's really up to who is making that movie. And I don't put odds on them brushing up and absorbing the post ROTJ EU. I don't object to the idea but I also don't expect it. If Lucas or Abrams or Kenedy or Arndt or anyone who is making the movie want a late teen Luke Skywalker daughter, then they should do just that. Cuz they're the ones making the film.

ugaaccountant likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.