main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    If you get a chance, buy the collected letters of John Adams & Thomas Jefferson. Their discussions are remarkably interesting and the ones from their later life are awesome in that we see two old friends turned adversaries reconcile their friendship. They discuss so many interesting topics that I consider them ESSENTIAL reading for any American history buff.

--Adm. Nick

2. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    I have David McCullough's book on John Adams, however, yet to read. Anyone read it? I loved the series that starred Paul Giamatti.

I also have "His Excellency" a book by Joseph J. Ellis about George Washington, and also Team of Rivals by Doris Keans Goodwin (about Lincoln). Still yet to read those as well. Yes, my personal 'library' is quite extensive, there are still dozens of books yet to be read...

3. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    It occurred to me that it is a bit strange that so many of my classes had me read Karl Marx, but only one ever offered John Locke. And I don't think I have read anything by Adam Smith.

4. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    In what universe is Karl Marx required reading more often than John Locke?

5. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    The one that begins with a C and isn't capitalism.

6. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Oh hai, I have a pretty little ring of silver stars under my name now. :D And just in time for my 5-year anniversary in a few months. 5000 posts in 5 years! [face_party]

7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Congrats! The ring of five blue stars is one of my favorites.

8. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003

whoah

9. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    How dare you bring that in here. And you didn't even wipe your feet.

I feel the same way. It's probably just a case of listening to too much music for my own good, but I'm immediately put off of an album if I begin to get deja vu right from the beginning. There's a fine line between taking influence from existing styles and using it to hone your own and just rinsing and repeating what's been done before. There are certainly exceptions- hell, even huge bands like Queen started off as essentially a Sparks tribute band- but these artists tend to either evolve or do what they do exceptionally well.

And yes, I'll admit to a certain amount of prudish annoyance when I hear of a new artist being hailed as "innovative" or as "visionaries" when they're doing nothing more than treading old ground.

10. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    did you listen to it?

it's really cool

11. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Yeah, it's miles better than anything else she's ever done, but I'd argue that's just a testament to how bad she normally is. She really loves to advertise that she's a fan of The Flaming Lips, and this felt to me like she was going for that spacey Zaireeka sound, yet didn't feel confident enough to actually rearrange the song in any substantial way. What might sound abstract and experimental for her is just a disguise for a pedestrian piano and synth reworking that could likely be whipped up in an hour on Pro Tools.

That said, Kesha has earned points with me for clearly having some amount of ambition (you'd have to if you'd even think about hiring Wayne Coyne as a collaborator), yet it doesn't seem like she has the songwriting abilities to carry any of it out. Then again, I don't think Kesha herself handled the remix, so I really shouldn't be criticizing her. She's just such an easy target :(

(for those who haven't guessed, music is pretty much the area where I direct all stored up anger and frustration. Works out well).

12. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    I went to Barnes and Noble to pick up Kenobi when I came across this book, by a certain author

[​IMG]

CooperTFN

13. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    The only decision Kesha's ever made that I have any opinion about one way or the other is the ****ing dollar-sign thing.

PG - [face_laugh] A friend actually sent me basically the same photo about a week ago. Christ, I hate my name.

14. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    hahah fair enough

EDIT: while we are on the subject of Ke$ha (:*@Coop) my sister just shared this with me and I couldn't not pass it on:

RC-1991 and Rogue_Follower like this.
  15. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    And now I just remembered the "Star Wars Call Me Maybe" :(

16. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    same uploader actually. this one's way better though

17. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Oh, are we still doing the music thing? My favorite music is the Space Pirate Boogie.

18. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
  19. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    It's so... beautiful.

Isn't that the disco remix from Rebel Strike? One of the few good things about that game?

20. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    Putting off my science course requirements until my senior year might not have been such a good idea. I've forgotten how to use these number thingies. [face_dunno]

21. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    Did somebody say....

[​IMG]

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  22. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    Language

23. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    I hate when my dream involves talking with an author who reveals that the next book in a series I like will be out shortly, then I wake up.

24. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

:confused:
    [​IMG]

JackG, tjace, Bib Fartuna and 2 others like this.
  25. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Rome II Preload starts today.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.