main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A request from a novel hater.

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Big Bad Yoda Daddy, Sep 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    A lot of the first third of the novel is what's going on inside the character's heads, something you just can't do in a visual medium.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  2. HWK-290

HWK-290 Jedi Padawan star 2

Jul 29, 2013
    Wouldn't surprise me if it turns out he had.

Del Rey: We can't publish this in print, we'd be in the red!
    MWS: ...so what do you want cut?
    GL: It's alright, folks, I've got this. CUE LINE EDIT TIME LAPSE.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  3. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    This is how it feels to be Anakin Skywalker.
    Forever...

4. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Its the Age of Heroes, they saved the best for last.

I would so buy that. Worth it. No matter what anyone says. Would be a pain to take that somewhere but would easily be the best book ever.

tjace, Zeta1127 and Rew like this.
  5. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Been awhile since I read it, aside from little beats here and there most I remember is Big Opening, Tiny Ending (comparatively speaking). I think Dooku bites it at, like, page 100 or something.

6. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Yoda goes to Kashyyyk but nothing until Bail picks up Obi-Wan. Except a call from Mace.
    The Dooku duel was what 2 whole chapters plus some? Best duel I've read.

7. HWK-290

Jul 29, 2013
    p.82 of 419.

And I'll second the "best duel I've read".

Force Smuggler likes this.
  8. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I was just quoting Ki-Adi-Mundi. I know the Kashyyyk part of ROTS isn't in the novelization, but it's not supposed to be. Stover set out to write a companion to the film rather than a mere novelization of the action, and the Kashyyyk scenes don't further Anakin's character development, nor Obi-Wan's.

9. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Yah, I'm not saying it's bad at all, just kinda wacky.

10. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Add my vote for the RotS novel. It did so much that the movie should have done to bring that era to a close, has the most elegant writing of any EU book I've read, gives you great characterizations all around, and does what every movie novelization should do: expand the movie's story in a logical and fulfilling way. It doesn't get bogged down in details, it doesn't cover tripe to inflate a page count, it takes what the movie gave out, and improves it so incredibly that you'll never watch Episode III the same way again. In all honesty, it's probably harsh to compare most of the rest of the EU to it, because Revenge of the Sith isn't just one of the best Star Wars books, it's a great piece of literature, period.

11. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    The only reason I transitioned from being a BioWare/KotOR fan to being a Star Wars/EU fan was because of Stover's RotS novelisation.

12. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    The best books you should read are Timothy Zahn's trilogy starting with Heir to the Empire. Although it came out back in 91, it seems to capture the whole feel of the original Starwars films of fun adventure as well as character development. An added bonus is that since it pretty much came out first there is no reference to other EU material and stands on it's own.

ChildOfWinds and aleja2 like this.
  13. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Oic

14. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Yeah, I was really hoping Order 66 could have been expanded more than the montage we saw in the movie, yet it was actually less than the film.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  15. HWK-290

Jul 29, 2013
    Don't we already have a book for thi- ah, there it is.

As DigitalMessiah already mentioned, the novelization was written more as a companion piece expanding upon the characterizations of the main protagonists than anything else.

16. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    "A request from a novel hater."

[​IMG]

17. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    To be clear, I enjoyed Star Wars, and I was passingly familiar with the EU (my child self had played Jedi Knight, read the Thrawn trilogy and, uh, Darksaber, as well as the Great Sith War TPB)... but it wasn't something I'd really...

... no, wait. Actually, my transition started with the Star Wars fact files. Huh. I'd totally forgotten that I have folders and folders full of those.

But it was definitely the RotS novel that got me on to following the books and comics with interest, again.

BoromirsFan and Bib Fartuna like this.
  18. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    The ROTS novelization. In addition to what Force Smuggler mentioned, there is the "This is what it's like to be Anakin Skywalker, now" passage at the end, which until I read the NJO, had been the only passage in a Star Wars novel that made me cry.

19. Arrian

Aug 15, 2011
    I read the novel before the film, and was actually let down by the film. I particularly loved the interaction between Sidious and Tyranus aboard the Invisble Hand.

That is what Star Wars is about.

20. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    I really hope that Star Wars isn't about Treachery...

As then, for Star Wars Episode VII ... "I have a bad feeling about this!" ;)

21. HWK-290

Jul 29, 2013
    Star Wars, about treachery? Nah.

Star Wars is about hope.

Grievous is a monster.

The Separatist Supreme Commander is an abomination of nature, a fusion
    of flesh and droid-and his droid parts have more compassion than what
    remains of his alien flesh. This half-living creature is a slaughterer of
    billions. Whole planets have burned at his command. He is the evil genius of
    the Confederacy. The architect of their victories.

The author of their atrocities.

And his durasteel grip has closed upon Palpatine. He confirms the
    capture personally in a wideband transmission from his command cruiser in
    the midst of the orbital battle. Beings across the galaxy watch, and
    shudder, and pray that they might wake up from this awful dream.

Because they know that what they're watching, live on the HoloNet, is
    the death of the Republic.

Many among these beings break into tears; many more reach out to
    comfort their husbands or wives, their creche-mates or kin-triads, and their
    younglings of all descriptions, from children to cubs to spawn-fry.

But here is a strange thing: few of the younglings need comfort. It is
    instead the younglings who offer comfort to their elders. Across the
    Republic-in words or pheromones, in magnetic pulses, tentacle-braids, or
    mental telepathy-the message from the younglings is the same: Don't worry. It'll be all right.

Anakin and Obi-Wan will be there any minute.

They say this as though these names can conjure miracles.

anakinfansince1983 , Rew and cdgodin like this.
  22. Arrian

Aug 15, 2011
    Yeah, okay.
    The long night has begun.
    Huge solemn crowds line Palace Plaza in Theed, the capital of Naboo, as six beautiful white gualaars draw a flower-draped open casket bearing the remains of a beloved Senator through the Triumphal Arch, her fingers finally and forever clasping a snippet of japor, one that had been carved long ago by the hand of a nineyear- old boy from an obscure desert planet in the far Outer Rim...
    On the jungle planet of Dagobah, a Jedi Master inspects the unfamiliar swamp of his exile...
    From the bridge of a Star Destroyer, two Sith Lords stand with a sector governor named Tarkin, and survey the growing skeletonof a spherical battle station the size of a moon...
    But even in the deepest night, there are some who dream of dawn.
    On Alderaan, the Prince Consort delivers a baby girl into the loving arms of his Queen.
    And on Tatooine, a Jedi Master brings an infant boy to the homestead of Owen and Beru Lars—
    Then he rides his eopie off into the Jundland Wastes, toward the
    setting suns.

23. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    The dark is generous, and it is patient, and it always wins—but

in the heart of its strength lies weakness: one lone candle is enough to
    hold it back.
    Love is more than a candle. Love
    can ignite the stars.

Love this quote. Gives you hope for better days doesn't it?

24. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    This gives me chills every time I read it, and I've read it three times at least, now. Oh, I love it so much. If this book can't pick a sad person up out of the doldrums with this passage, then nothing can.

25. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    ROTS is great but imo there's a noticeable low point that lasts from immediately after Mace Windu's death to immediately after the Obi-Wan/Anakin duel. While the rest of the book elevates the material in the movie, that segment always feels more to me like it's just going through the motions of a movie novelization and describing what's happening on-screen instead of fleshing it out the way the rest of the book does. Anakin's turn, while thankfully now filled with hilarious puns, still makes about as much sense as it does in the film, which is none at all.

I still say Traitor is Stover's best Star Wars book, if only because it's the most consistent. If that's off the table though I guess I'd say either ROTS or Dark Rendezvous.

Trip and DigitalMessiah like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.