main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Agents of SHIELD Discussion Thread (and Slingshot)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lazy Storm Trooper, Sep 21, 2013.

1. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    Darth-Lando Cool stuff.

Rosslcopter If you are going to insult someone on their age at least know how old they are before you do it.

Juliet316 likes this.
  2. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    Sam Jackson seems like the type to never turn down money for a acting gig. I wouldn't be shocked if it happens. He's in a heck of a lot of terrible movies for what I imagine is just a payday.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  3. Narutakikun

Narutakikun Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    Well, uhm...

To be honest, I was kind of "meh" on the first episode. It seemed a little... Sorkin-ey to me. By that I mean I've never been a fan of the whole West Wing style of dialog - rapid-fire talk by people who were just a little too annoyingly clever. It's like someone said: "You know what this superhero/sci-fi TV series needs? To be more like The Newsroom." Meh - no thanks.

Also, what was with the preachy lecture at the end? Did I just tune in to Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. or Agents of Occupy Wall Street? That's what happens when someone gives superpowers to black Tom Joad, I guess.

Good to see Ron Glass again, though.

Anyhow, 6/10 for me. I'll keep watching, but they need to amp up their game.

Lazy Storm Trooper likes this.
  4. Narutakikun

Nov 8, 2012
    Also, what was with the SHIELD C-17? I guess they subscribe to the "Let's take an existing aircraft and just throw more stuff on it to make it special" theory of design. More wings? Check. More engines? Check. Snazzy custom paint job? Check. It's cooler now! I mean, seriously, what is this - the 80s GI Joe cartoon?

Why do you need those mods to a C-17 in order to carry a conference table and two cars, anyway?

Lazy Storm Trooper likes this.
  5. Lazy Storm Trooper

Sep 18, 2012
    I did think that was overkill a whole lot.

6. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I liked the episode. The budget shows at points, but it's no big deal. The characters have potential, though the actors tend to be a bit too clean-cut and network-approved. It was funny and entertaining in a lightweight way, with the potential to get at some more serious drama and some universe mythology eventually. I guess if people were tuning in expecting the greatest TV show of all time, or The Avengers on their TV, it could be a disappointment, but on its own terms, it succeeded and it did what it had to to convince me that it's worth my time.

7. Lazy Storm Trooper

Sep 18, 2012
    The show met my expectations. It was just what I was expecting from what I saw in the trailers. In general I am really liking it so far.

8. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, that was a pretty fun start to the series, but not the most impressive pilot I've seen. It definitely has it's moments and I think we'll see things start to click well after a couple episodes. However, I think too much time was spent integrating Skye into the group- that part kinda slowed the pacing down a bit.

But the parts that worked did so pretty well- particularly the climax, though I kinda wish things had gone a little bigger for the pilot with something even more tense. Higher stakes and all that. But I guess they need to leave something for later in the season ;).

The characters have some fun moments- though the Hill and Coulson scenes have the expected upper hand on everything, the two techs have a fun brother/sister chemistry (but the accents lose some dialogue). Ward I'm not sure on yet- he works well as the straight man to Coulson's dry humor though. Melinda May isn't given much in the pilot so it's really impossible to judge her yet.

Also- Book! :D

I was also surprised that they integrated Extremis into things so quickly- and only moments after revealing super-solider serum & gamma radiation tech are at play as well.

Also, during the "this season" preview, my Tivo cut off right at the end when the announcer was saying "and you won't want to miss the last moment of every episode" or something like that- did anything significant follow?

No, they explained what Coulson thinks happened pretty fast.

Even beyond the SHIELD comic panel posted earlier in the thread, there's a more obvious connection at work here:

[​IMG]

(besides, as the recent BTTF GE commercial reminded us- flying cars with flip-down wheels will always be cooler than flying cars without flip-down wheels)

It wasn't about OWS, it was about people dealing with the existential issue of knowing there are now gods and aliens about that can crush us under foo.

(although I suppose one can stretch that metaphor to make an OWS argument, but I don't hink that was the intention)

I suspect it's meant to tie into the Probably Built By Stark Industries nature of the MCU- like the weird tail wings on Stark's personal jets, etc.

Though this was touched upon earlier, the basic gist is that Scarlett Witch and Quicksilver were among a handful of characters that both Marvel and Fox can use in their films due to having strong associations with different teams- but in distinct ways.

Thus, Scarlett Witch and Quicksilver can be on the Avengers but they can't be called mutants or refer to them being the children of Magneto. Fox can use the Super Skrull in Fantastic Four but Marvel can use the Skrull species. Etc, etc.

I'd suggest tagged spoilers as a courtesy, but since most people will be seeing it within days, if not hours, of each other, I don;t think anything more extensive than that would be necessary to enforce.

Out of curiosity, superhero films have been going strong for well over a decade now- at what point is it no longer a trend or a fad? ;)

9. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Wocky thinks Spiderman II is some sort of pinnacle of perfection in the genre.

I didn't mind this episode, but I think as far as comic book shows go, Arrow's better overall.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  10. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005

Arrow has Deathstroke, so it's kind of an auto-win as far as I'm concerned.

11. Narutakikun

Nov 8, 2012
    I dunno - I picked up a lot about losing his job and getting the shaft even though he played by the rules. Seemed more like economic angst than alien angst to me.

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    That was the jumping off point- the idea that being a man now isn't enough. I don't think the "worked hard, lost his job anyway because of the system" archetype storyline is something exclusive to OWS concepts.

[​IMG]

"Life's a *****, brother- and she's in heat."

Jedi Merkurian and Juliet316 like this.
  13. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Ross has cleared up that error for you. :)

14. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    No, the preview ended right after that.

15. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Riiiight, and so putting your thinking cap on, how do you think someone would feel if was already disenfranchised and the Avengers showed up and beat up aliens over New York?

Do you think it maybe just squeezed everyone a little harder, especially those who are still struggling from the GFC fallout?

Go on. I know it hurts and the effort makes you sweat, but thought and empathy are useful skills to have and help round you out as a human being.

Juliet316 likes this.
  16. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Well, personally I loved it. My thoughts mostly parallel Havac -- I took it for what it was, and for what it was it was great: that is, a TV adaptation of a superhero movie franchise. LI is disappointed that it doesn't have a selling point beyond its association with the Avengers -- to which I say, uh, duh? :p

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I think some pieces of him might still be moving, Ender- you sure you don't want to use this?

[​IMG]

;)

18. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Ha. You mean Reason? :D

19. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Overall it was okay. Coulson basically carried the show and everyone else felt forgettable so far.

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  20. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    That's true too. Coulson was probably 95% of it.

21. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I wouldn't say everyone else was forgettable. Skye got plenty of screentime and got pretty well established as a superhero groupie and internet oddball who got pulled onto the team (though probably the weakest point of the whole episode was her transition into the group -- she doesn't trust them, so Coulson lets her interrogate the dude, and she . . . shows him her cleavage and asks generic questions and then all of a sudden she's on the team. That leap in logic was the main flaw of the setup). The dude's line as our other entry point into the agency was pretty clear. The show hasn't been able to flesh out all its characters yet, but the basics are there. Melinda May obviously has a backstory that they're saving for the next couple of episodes, so she was undercooked but I don't expect her to stay that way. The tech kids were the most underdeveloped of the team, but you can't get everybody developed in one hour of television. I'd say the biggest problem is that, for all the screentime and development he did get, the dude still felt too bland. The actor's performance came off as forgettable, and though he was our entry point to S.H.I.E.L.D. originally, the episode kind of forgot him as soon as it got Skye to be a funnier, fresher, cuter entry point.

It'll take a few weeks to be sure of how all these character are going to turn out, though.

22. Narutakikun

Nov 8, 2012
    Woah, right out of the gate with the snarky personal insults. Color me impressed.

Anyhow, you've said nothing with enough substance to be worth responding to, so I won't.

23. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Having been watching Arrow, I was distracted by how little eyeliner this series had.

I kid. I still haven't seen it. I'll catch it tonight.

24. Narutakikun

Nov 8, 2012
    Fixed. :cool:

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  25. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Alright, look. I know who you were trying to rebut, and I even agree with that general sentiment. But quite frankly

. . .what?

26. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    There's actually like... no eyeliner I could see. None. I couldn't tell who the heroes were. Based on that, I'd recommend avoiding.