main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Literature member interviews

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Point Given , Jun 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Have you read Imperial Twilight? It's a nice little book focusing on the Palaiologoi -- I read it a couple of years ago. Handy thing.

As for the Bonapartes, the Golden Bees is pretty good -- unlike most books, it focuses more on the inter-empire period rather than on Napoleon I and Napoleon III.

2. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    I'm not familiar with either, but I will keep both in mind for the future. I may get around to reading them by the time you've started on all my recommendations. :p

3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I really wish someone would pay me to just read books all day. Then things would be much easier.

Lazy Storm Trooper likes this.
  4. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    If you ever find someone who will, see if you can convince them to set up a Canadian division.

5. ma_petite

ma_petite Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2006
    Finally got around to finishing skywalker's interview and reading LI's. Great stuff. I am really enjoying this thread.

Mobile sock of s65horsey

Todd the Jedi likes this.
  6. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    24. Since your government is still working, will you adopt me?

ma_petite likes this.
  7. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    You don't want to live there. Canada's run by a committee of wolverines and lumberjacks that pay homage to the Queen. And even lumberjack Wolverines that tell you to **** off.

8. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    And America is rainbows and butterflies.

9. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Alright, it's time for our next subject, JackG! [face_party] (And if one of the many mods could change the thread title, that'd be much appreciated ;) )

1. Tell us about your username. Why did you choose to go by your actual name? And what is the best way to address you?

2. What made you sign up for the Jedi Council Forums? Do you post on any other forums?

10. Arrian

Aug 15, 2011
    1. Tell us about your username. Why did you choose to go by your actual name? And what is the best way to address you?
    My username is, as predicted, my real name shortened. Boring, I know. I don't know why, but I always do this with my usernames across the internet. Perhaps it is because if I choose a name that I think is fancy and witty, I won't think so in a couple of years. My true name won't be changing, so it will always be relevant and fitting to have my usernames derived from it. Wow, mine must really sound like an adventurous life.

2. What made you sign up for the Jedi Council Forums? Do you post on any other forums?
    Hmm. That is a difficult question. I had lurked for a little while, but I really just wanted to discuss the EU in depth, and I didn't really know anywhere else to do so. At the time I had just started to get back into the EU after a couple of years of of post-RotS slump, and was really confused by Legacy of the Force. "What are Stealth-Xs?"; "Why are there so many Barabels?"; "Too many Hapans!"; "Ben is a really bland character!". It just didn't feel like Star Wars to me, and as none of my friends knew about the EU, I sought others to discuss it with.

Edit:
    I guess I misremembered! This is my first post on this site, from the Ascension thread. I thought I would drag this out of the past so as to illuminate my reasons for joining. Also, it seems I just really wanted some character variety and continuity. Great capitalisation and grammar too, Jack.
    And geez, FotJ really failed to deliver, didn't it?

I don't regret signing up in the slightest, and actually have met people from JCF in real life, too, which was cooler, and less creepy than I imagined.I still could never do the convention stuff, though.

The reason I chose this site was because I knew it from back in like 2004 when as a 10-year-old I was browsing the web in an effort to find info about RotS and I discovered TF.N. Also, it is a top result in Google. I didn't realise at the time, but this is really the best place for SW discussion on the web, in regards to the EU at least. Remember that other SW "forum" we were all invited to, which had spelling mistakes all over its front page and all of the "discussion" was like, "Who would win if Darth Maul was in a duel against General Grievous on Mygeeto!!!!!!111!!??". There's also the SWEU subreddit I've seen, but it isn't much better. So, no, I'm not signed up to any other SW exclusive forums.

That being said, I am a member of the Kowak Council Forums, so shout out to them!

My next answers will be much more interesting, I promise.

11. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    I think those were perfectly interesting. [/insert monkeylizardiconhere]

12. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    JackG 3. Where are you from? What are some of the best parts about where you live?

4. Tell us how you become a Star Wars fan, and SW lit in particular.

13. Arrian

Aug 15, 2011
    Let's just say it's almost 2am where I am, and I will answer them this afternoon, as they're good questions I want to dedicate some time to. That alright, Todd the Jedi ?

Robimus likes this.
  14. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    Fine by me, Future Boy. ;)

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  15. Arrian

Aug 15, 2011
    Cheers!
    [​IMG]

16. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    No problem, we will hang around until then. ;)

[​IMG]

17. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    JACK!!!! :D

I'm going to take credit for being the first to call him "Future Boy" on LACWAC on New Year's Eve when he had actually reached 2013 and proven that the damn Mayans had it all wrong after all.

But I had had a lot of wine that night so maybe I'm remembering incorrectly. :p

I've found meeting JCers in real life to be pretty awesome. One might be surprised at how people range from normal to exceedingly cool around here given that one might think this place is full of nerds. :p

I remember my heart skipping a beat when I first saw your user name because my youngest's name is Jack and our last name starts with a G. So do I need to add "cool user name" here?

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  18. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    It's quite interesting how accurate your online persona can translate into real-life, people are often more genuine than they think which comes out at meet-ups. Of course, in my case, there's the small matter of the Atlantic Ocean getting in the way....

19. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    I suggest you invest in a good canoe and paddle. I know several companies that would be more than happy to provide you with the necessary equipment, entirely free of charge, should you desire to make the attempt.

20. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I've met plenty of JCers while visiting the UK, and there are plenty there right now. No excuses!

21. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I met JCers in the UK while visiting there with another JCer.

22. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    You need to tell me when you're heading over!:)

23. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    The only JCer I've met is Jason Fry. That counts. :p We even lived on the same street for a while.

24. Arrian

Aug 15, 2011
    3. Where are you from? What are some of the best parts about where you live?
    I am from Australia, the state of Victoria, in particular. So, there's like three Aussies in Lit. I live on a nice little island two hours south of Melbourne. I've lived here all my life; it's a pretty fantastic place, to be honest. The beach is two minutes from my house, the climate temperate all year round - never too hot in summer nor too cold in winter.
    There's great surfing nearby, though I don't really surf so much, anymore.

In summer, though, this place is a paradise. In the southern hemisphere, of course, our summer is December through February, which means Christmas and New Years occurs during the summer, and we have a huge break from university/work/school. For instance, uni finishes normally around mid-November (and that's considered late) and would go back late-February/ March. The island has a small population except in holiday times, when all of the holiday homes become occupied and all of the accommodation is filled. I think the population goes from something like 8,000 to 60,000. NYE and Christmas time in particular are truly awesome times to be on the island; the weather is fantastic, the party atmosphere is palpable, and most people have barbecues at least once a day. Swimming, nice weather, a carnival (which is really great when drunk, believe me) and free time mean, yeah, summer is quite good.

However, ironically, I actually prefer cooler climates. I like the rain and snow, yet receive very little of it, unless it's rain in winter. I'd like to move to somewhere colder once I have finished university, or perhaps study abroad somewhere where it snows. For instance, I can't imagine seeing it snow in a city. That's absolutely fantastic to me, whereas having the beach and surf would be incredible to some of you, I know for sure.

Anyway, here's some pictures for those interested:
    4. Tell us how you become a Star Wars fan, and SW lit in particular.

Ha. I became a Star Wars fan after seeing The Phantom Menace at a friend's house in late 1999, I guess.That being said, I definitely remember seeing the Tantive IV being boarded earlier than that, though I didn't make the connection until after TPM. I remember the first scene I saw of TPM was that of Qui-Gon running through the Naboo swamp being chased by a MTT. I was instantly hooked by action, and also because my friends had some of the Lego sets released for the film. I was an avid Lego collector as a result. Ironically, TPM is my least favourite of the saga; I can't watch it all anymore, especially the tedious Tatooine sequence. Ugh.

I know that the Prequels are bad films objectively, but I still like them (minus the Tatooine sequence of TPM). I remember back in 2002 when the AotC Lego first appeared in store. I was amazed and just so excited for the film. I saw the Lego set of Dooku vs. Yoda (see later) at a shopping centre and was in awe of the curved lightsaber. I just couldn't wait for the film. The wonder of those days may have left me, but my love of Star Wars has not.

That being said, it did start my journey off into the wider SW world. I began collecting Lego like there was no tomorrow, thanks, mum and dad!
    Some of my favourite Lego sets were of the LAAT/i, the TIE Bomber, the B-Wing (!!), Delta 7, Chewbacca in the AT-ST and of Yoda vs. Dooku.
    Lego is seriously the best. I loved it, and still do. Speaking of which, has anyone checked out the SW Lego range of late? I wish I was a kid again; the minifigures are so well made, they have brilliant accessories and the sets themselves are so intricate. For instance, there's now Poggle the Lesser, Max Reebo, and Coleman Trebor minifigures, and Headhunter starfighters available!

As for the EU itself, well, I have Kevin J. Anderson to thank for that. I saw a tattered copy of Champions of the Force in a second hand bookstore and on a whim decided to buy it, thirteen years ago. Amazingly, after reading that, I continued to read the EU; I thought the plot was quite silly, but my curiosity was raised. Furthermore, I subscribed to Deagonstini's The Star Wars Fact Files, which chronicled the films and Expanded Universe up to 2004. (Thus, I'm a continuity junkie) I really enjoyed the notion of a huge, evolving, almost living world that the SWEU presented to readers/gamers/watchers. All that content, all the stories: it's just magical. I truly can't articulate how great it is to have such a universe. So when people dismiss all of that, I think they're really missing out. Sure, there's some absolute duds, but I truly believe that the EU can be better than the films, as Cloak of Deception and the RotS novelisation prove, among others. I'm sure we'll go into that later, though. I think my love of the EU can be summarised like this: I enjoyed watching the microseries in 2004 and reading the RotS novel in April 2005 than I did in watching the film itself.

TL; DR: Lego is awesome.

Todd the Jedi

25. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    JackG 5. What is your favorite part of the JCF? Why did you sign up in the first place?

6. What places have you traveled too? Any favorite locations?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.