main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Official "The Clone Wars" Series Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by RevantheJediMaster, Jul 15, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Mzukiller

Mzukiller Jedi Padawan star 2

Sep 5, 2012
    No, no, I mean those serials that Stars Were built off of.
    I find the Zillobeast episodes to be a highlight of season 2. Its got some interesting moral questions in it and was one of the early episodes that tackled Jedi during the war having to compromise. It was also cool to see Palpatine acting all shady. That ending. If only something had ever come up again on cloning more Zillos.[/quote]

Well practically speaking, a Palpatine-controlled Zilo beast would be pretty much undefeatable.

AkashKedavra_93 likes this.
  2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I still don't get it. What serials was a 1977 movie built off of, that no one born earlier than 1973 would understand?

I did like the Zillo Beast episodes, Godzilla references aside.

3. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    Su'cuy BOBA-FETT-82!

Olarom bah LACWAC SWTV! I'm guessing you're a Mando/bounty hunter fan by your username and avatar (Shae Vizla). This is a good place for discussing all things TCW, the classics, and later on, Rebels!

Very interesting. I barely remember poor Bulduga, but as soon as I saw the hat, it clicked! "Nice hat. Where'd you get it?" Uh, from Dave Filoni, of course!

Cad Bane (after killing Bulduga): I must remind myself to go after this "Dave Filoni" next time. He surely must have an attractive collection of hats.

And it's great that they've actually took the time to establish some tidbits about Cad Bane's past, where he came from, and why he so faithfully works for the CIS in opposition to the Republic. Some good stuff. This line is interesting:
    This confirms that Bane survives into the Dark Times, to become one of the Empire's top operatives. People were worried that they would kill him off in the possibly upcoming Bounty Hunters arc in the TCW bonus content. If the article is accurate, then I am very glad to learn that Bane survives the Clone Wars! As you've already read from my LACWAC interview, he's one of my favorite TCW OCs.

Edit #1: BTW, I think Dave Filoni (or someone else) once mentioned that they had mapped out the Kryze family line. Mia, do you know of any upcoming sourcebooks or anything in the EU that might cover more of Satine and Bo-Katan's family history? I am very interested in learning more.

Edit #2: Aha! More Mando Madness!

4. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    I thought so too. It seemed a fitting "replacement" to the opening crawl, especially for a series based on a galactic war.

5. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    It's kind of sad that with that article, now that I actually know something about the guy, I do feel much more sympathy for him and his brother. It's a shame that it only comes over a year after. I also love that they acknowledge Bulduga and Onca as being like the modern incarnation of the Moomo brothers from Knights of the Old Republic.

Yeah, the concise outlook on Bane's history, TCW exploits, and future was really what made me post the links here in the first place. I assumed Bane fans and Clone Wars-watchers in general would find that interesting. I'm glad they're sticking with him becoming an Imperial era bounty hunter, too. It's nice when a series, television or otherwise, can leave something lasting to the larger universe.

The already-released Shadow Conspiracy novelization has some information of Satine's family history, notably with her father, who was the chieftain of Clan Kryze and a member of the warrior clans rather than the New Mandalorians. The Warfare guide mentions Clan Kryze and its division between New Mandalorians, True Mandalorians, and Death Watch during the ideological conflict, but doesn't go too into depth, just noting that it was much like several other clans like the Fetts and Ordos. The upcoming reference book The Bounty Hunter Code—the next in the line of guides like The Jedi Path and Book of Sith—also features a lengthy Death Watch manifesto by Tor Vizsla (which just going by the previews looks awesome) that has some interesting if unflattering things to say about Satine's family history and the New Mandalorians in general. Not sure if there'll be much Bo-Katan content, though, since she seems to have made a name for herself later, after Tor was killed and Pre Vizsla took over. Maybe, though.

Yeah, that was a cool read. Being Facebook friends with Tom Hutchens and internet friends with several other Mercs, I think I knew most of that anyway ( :p ) but it's still nice to see them up on the official site, getting even more widespread recognition.

6. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    The character models took getting used to for me also, and I have to admit the beards still kind of bother me. And I could not agree with you more about Ziro! He has to be the worst character on the show in my opinion.

7. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    Oya! That's some fascinating stuff from those previews. I've never read Shadow Conspiracy but am aware of certain differences between the novel and the show, as well as the fact that the novel actually refers to Satine as a Mand'alor. The Bounty Hunter Code looks to have some great background info that should rival The Jedi Path and Book of Sith in terms of comprehensive information tucked in teh volume. Nice to see that both Aurra Sing and Hondo Ohnaka have notes in the margins as well. Cool stuff. You know, I am curious to know more about Clan Vizsla as well. Like, how Pre Vizsla came to take the mantle of Death Watch leader following Tor Vizsla's demise, and what their relationship is. Also, what became of Clan Vizsla after Pre Vizsla's death at Maul's hands? Did he have a successor in line? Maybe someone named...Post Vizsla? :p

Since the Kyr'tsad manifesto was written by Tor, I suspect we may not know from this tome. I'd still love to see the fate of Death Watch after the events of The Lawless, specifically the clan leaders, but this volume promises to have plenty of goodies about both bounty hunting in general and the Mandalorian culture, including the TCW-created New Mandalorians. Something else to put on my future wish list.

Thanks for all of that, Mia. Where would we casual EU fans in this forum be without you?

8. Mia Mesharad

Sep 2, 2012
    Read it. Immediately. :p
    Seriously though, it really enhances the entire story arc, and adds a lot of background detail to the entire conflict that really helps establish what it is that both sides are really fighting for. What Vizsla's fought to overcome, and what Satine's desperate to avoid. It's great stuff.

Same here. I'd love to see more on Pre Vizsla's youth. He seems so militantly anti-New Mandalorian, but ethnically, he fits the spitting image of their near Aryan society. Coincidence, or did he grow up amongst the New Mandalorians only to turn against them? Hope that gets tackled at a later point. Clan Vizsla gets some mention in Warfare, as one of the many clans with divided opinions and loyalties between the factions, noting that Vizslas favoring or populating the ranks of the New and True Mandalorians wasn't anything unusual. That just begs for some exploration of these more benevolent members of the clan, especially juxtaposed with their more well known and less scrupulous kinsmen. Sadly, the clan hasn't appeared post-TCW that I'm aware of, though hopefully that'll change in the near future.

Post Vizsla? Post Vizsla? Really? o_O :p

We do know that Death Watch strengthened their control of Sundari and the crumbling New Mandalorian state through their puppet, Almec, per The Last Jedi. And with the New Mandalorians down, they turn their attention to the warrior clans, allying with the Galactic Empire in an attempt to accumulate greater power, as seen in Imperial Commando: 501st. Doesn't end well for anyone. Star Wars Galaxies also offers a look at Death Watch's activities during the Galactic Civil War, when they're reduced to hiding out in a secret bunker on Endor.

You're very welcome. Always glad to help out. :D

9. KenobiSkywalker

KenobiSkywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Wouldn't it go Pre Vizsla, Vizsla then Post Vizsla? :p

10. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
  11. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    I'd love to find out at some point if there was any connection between Shae Vizla of the TOR era and the Vizslas of the "modern" era.

12. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    Did Nute Gunray stay Viceroy after the Trade Federation distanced themselves from him?

13. Darth Valkyrus

Apr 12, 2013
    He was viceroy up till the moment he died I think.

"After you have killed all the Jedi in the temple, go to the Mustafar system. Wipe out Viceroy Gunray and the other separatist leaders. Once more the Sith will rule the galaxy! And... we shall have peace."

purplerain likes this.
  14. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    Does Mortis Son's voice having traits of Maul's and Sidious's have any in-universe meaning?

15. Mia Mesharad

Sep 2, 2012
    That depends how definitively you want to take statements from people like Filoni and Sam Witwer. Canonically speaking, we know that the Son chose to drink from the ethereal Font of Power thousands of year prior to the series' events. It altered his fundamental nature, recreating him as a being of the dark side; he embodies the dark side of the Force, and is in turn, defined by it. Now, as Filoni and Witwer commented back then, that means that as this manifestation of the dark side, the Son has a connection to everything the dark side touches. There's a little bit of Palpatine in him. There's a little bit of Maul. And Vader, and Dooku, and every darksider that ever was or ever will be. That's why it was also originally planned to have the Son meet with the spirits of Darth Revan and Darth Bane for council, before it was later decided to leave that out for pacing reasons, I believe. The "Encyclopedia" on Star Wars.com canonizes some of their comments: "The Son was not a Sith -- his powers existed beyond the domain of the Sith Lords. But his natural affinity to the dark side granted him visions through the Force, wherein he saw images of Sith Lords past and future." But the rest is as of now merely creator commentary, to accept or ignore as you please.

16. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    I was hoping to here "Son spawned every Sith except for Tyranus and Vader", but what you said is interesting as well.

On another note, what was Son before he drank from the Font?

17. Mia Mesharad

Sep 2, 2012
    An average Celestial, it would seem. Not particularly dark or light, just highly advanced and in tune with the Force.

Contessa likes this.
  18. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    That's dissapointing. Drinking from the Font is a lame way for someone like Son to fall.

cwustudent likes this.
  19. Mia Mesharad

Sep 2, 2012
    He didn't necessarily fall because he drank from the Font. He drank from the Font because he desired more power. There remains the distinct possibility that Font is similar to the way Yoda describes the Dagobah cave in Empire Strikes Back, in that it reflects what's already inside. If they Son was already greedy and had a lust for power when he drank, it may be that the Font reacted accordingly and he became a reflection of what he already had inside. The only other being we know of that drank from the Font for certain is the woman who became Abeloth, and she too did so for selfish reasons: a quest for eternal youth and immortality. She got what she wanted, but like the Son she was corrupted, though as a mortal and not a Celestial it was much worse for her.

The truth is that, at this point, there's no solid answer one way or the other. The Ones and Mortis and Abeloth and the Font are all so new that there isn't enough information to extrapolate any concrete idea of what the hell happened one way or another right now. The vast majority of the information that has been given has come from an in-universe perspective, meaning that it's subject to personal bias, misrememberings, theories, and inaccuracies. That's all that's known right now, though.

Contessa and Random Comments like this.
  20. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Sometimes I really hate FOTJ SW.

Barriss_Coffee and cwustudent like this.
  21. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    In TCW, it's clear that Mortis is a very unimportant arc. Then FOTJ comes along and makes Mortis more important than the movies.

22. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
  23. Darth Valkyrus

Apr 12, 2013
    Hmm... if the ST retcons the hitherto established story of the big 3's offspring out of existence (no Ben Skywalker, no Jaina, no Jacen/Caedus, no Anakin), does that mean Mortis goes back to being unimportant?

24. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    *goes back to inventing the Mortis Drinking Game*

Let's hope so.

25. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    yes, unless it's given new importance