main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Star Wars #12: From the Ruins of Aleraan, part 6 (of 6)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralNick22 , Sep 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    STAR WARS #12 Brian Wood (W), Carlos D’Anda(A), Gabe Eltaeb (C), and Sean Cooke (Cover)
    On sale December 11, 2013
    FC, 32 pages
    $2.99
    Ongoing

After a battle with the Empire, it is a time of reunions, departures, and reassessments. Han and Chewie return from their mission to Coruscant, Luke deals with love lost, and Leia must accept greater responsibilities within the Rebellion. But first she has an important announcement for the Rebel commanders . . .

* Wedge forms Rogue Squadron!

* Leia uncovers a deep betrayal!

http://starwarsblog.starwars.com/in...-december-titles-and-february-graphic-novels/

[​IMG]

No blurb or synopsis yet, but a truly beautiful cover. TOS says it is by Sean Cooke, but I cannot tell is that is his signature on there or not.

semicooke, is that your work?

--Adm. Nick

Gorefiend and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  2. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Nice find Nick.

3. jacktherack

jacktherack Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2008
    [​IMG]
    I'm dissapointed i thought this thread would be about star wars 12: doomworld

MercenaryAce and Rogue_Follower like this.
  4. Backbench Jedi

Backbench Jedi Jedi Youngling

Sep 2, 2013
    Is that symbol or emblem of something? Or it just looks cool.

5. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Is it not from the Echo Base Control room?
    [​IMG]

6. semicooke

semicooke Legacy Concept Artist star 1 VIP

Dec 1, 1998
    Beautiful, beautiful cover...not mine though. That looks like the work of Hugh Fleming.

7. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    There is finally a synopsis, which I added to the first post. Details above & below!

After a battle with the Empire, it is a time of reunions, departures, and reassessments. Han and Chewie return from their mission to Coruscant, Luke deals with love lost, and Leia must accept greater responsibilities within the Rebellion. But first she has an important announcement for the Rebel commanders . . .

* Wedge forms Rogue Squadron!

* Leia uncovers a deep betrayal!

The formation of Rogue Squadron? This I want to see. Wood is a X-wing series fan, so I actually expect the continuity to be rather good on this.

--Adm. Nick

8. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    If it's Wedge forming it I'm not sure how good it is... surely it's Luke's squadron? Or am I forgetting?

9. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    I am rusty (and too lazy to pull up the article on the Wook), but as I recall post-Yavin there was still a Red Squadron until the Battle of Derra VI, when Commander Narra was killed and Luke assumes command. And I believe that "Rogue Flight" was part of a combined squadron under Narra's command.

--Adm. Nick

Zeta1127 likes this.
  10. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    I thought Rogue Squadron was started by LUKE and Wedge, and that Luke was the squadron leader. It sounds like we're getting an overwrite here. I'll withhold judgment until I read it, but if Wedge is the sole creator of Rogue Squadron and Luke is just an extra pilot in it, I'm not going to be happy about this. Wasn't it Luke who eventually gave Rogue Squadron to Wedge because he felt he needed to devote himself to Jedi activities?

11. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    The formation of Rogue Squadron is hard to pin down and not really clear. (I wrote a fanfic set in this era and did a crapload of research for it.) What is clear is that it was a joint effort between Luke/Narra/Wedge, Rogue Flight and Renegade Flight existed after the Battle of Yavin, and eventually Renegade Flight was destroyed and Rogue Squadron formed. Sorry Wedge, I love you, but Luke is supposed to be the first Rogue Leader - just watch ESB!

But I guess I'll wait, too, before casting judgment. :p

Vialco, windu4, ChildOfWinds and 2 others like this.
  12. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Devastator manages to escape! Yeah! :)

The Rebel fleet is in no position to capture a capital ship! What? o_O

Bircher leaves again to return to his home world. [face_dunno]

Rogues are kind of formed and Wedge actually sounds like X-Wing novels Wedge for a scene. :D

Leia sells her hand in marriage to a prince from a resource rich planet close to Hutt Space
    [​IMG]

13. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    Mon Mothma pulls an Isolder early, how many times do you think she will try to marry Leia off?

14. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

Actually this time it is Leia's idea and Mothma is completely surprised by the move.

15. newdawn12

Feb 9, 2013
    Will see how it goes.

16. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Any shots of the Rebel Fleet? [face_batting]

--Adm. Nick

17. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

I am rather sure it will not end well.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  18. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Those are stunning. Actually, the best ones yet.

Though, with that number of Mon Cal cruisers, I still can't figure out how one Star Destroyer was a problem.

--Adm. Nick

19. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Could still be pre-refitted models mainly used as supply ships and MACs

20. Protectorate

Protectorate Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 11, 2013
    So this storyline becomes way way more confusing. As if the revelation in the previous issue wasn't confusing, the explanation we get explains absolute nothing. So Bircher (Kell Bircher is his full name) sliced his way into the Imperial database shortly before the Battle of Yavin, and then he became so well-known that KRIFFING PALPATINE compares him to Vader? Really? Why? How would he have even known about him? He showed up literally months before he gets appointed as commander of Devastator and he was in a position to take charge of hunting down the Rebel fleet? Just how stupid is the Galactic Empire?

Also, what exactly was the plan? Was this the plan? To become commander of Devastator and sabotage efforts to hunt down the fleet? How could this possibly be a plan? So many coincidences to get to this point. How can any of this be considered "a plan"? Also his explanation that he "had a hand on the trigger" to shut down any attack that might damage the Rebels? That's pretty tough to swallow when his forces nearly killed Leia and would have more than likely wiped out Antilles and crew if not for their little ion engine explosion trick. If his goal was sabotage, he really screwed that plan up, and for commanding a Star Destroyer, all he has to show for it is a squadron of captured TIE interceptors. Also, to chaos with that patronizing little, "You're a damn fine pilot" that he gives to Leia. A fine pilot for being shot down twice? And nearly killed by his forces even though he wasn't even trying to? Quit telling us that she's so hardcore and awesome and actually SHOW THAT HAPPENING!

Also this revelation shows that literally nothing has happened in this series except for Han Solo being trapped on Coruscant. Every Rebel engagement was a farce, as Bircher would have stopped it...somehow. And finding the Rebel base is rewritten as to happening off screen! Leia just tells us that the new base will be be one that she had in mind long before. So then what the kriff was the point of their previous search? Anything? Thought so. Also, they never even found the mole...or was that intentional? Why is everyone pretending like they won a great victory? They accomplished nothing. The mole is still out there, Vader will soon be back in control of Devastator and the only reason they found a rebel base is because Leia miraculously was...contacted? by a prince for her hand in marriage? (This is also confusing, as it was never mentioned before)

At least the next two issues are Vader specific. Let's see if Wood can tighten this story up a little bit, or at least make his do-nothing Vader, interesting.

So in issue 10:
    Wedge: She's Rogue Squadron
    Luke:You mean Red Squadron?
    Wedge: No, Rogue. Just a name I've been kicking around. I know Leia Organa's gotten us going by "Stealth," but we can't be stealth forever, and I want the Alliance to retire the "Red" designation in memory. So why not Rogue? We are Rebels, after all.
    Luke: I like it. And I know Biggs would approve.

In issue 12:
    Wedge: Ma'am, you'll find an official request logged in the system as of twenty minutes ago. It requests the dissolution of Stealth Squadron and the formation of a proper alliance under my command.
    Wedge: Stealth is shut down. This isn't a bad thing. This is mission accomplished. Be proud. I am, of all of you. so much so, that each and every one of you is invited to join the Rogues, under my command...Rogue Squadron. I intend it to be the best, with all of you joining up, it is the best...it's just time the Galaxy knew it. Read the briefs.

So...maybe we can say that Luke had a plan in forming it, but this definitely seems to imply that Wedge will be sole commander...however that's supposed to work.

21. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    That is the best explanation I can think of as well. It is early after Yavin, so the majority of these cruisers are probably lightly armed exploration vessels or unarmed transports that haven't been converted to warships yet.

--Adm. Nick

22. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Sounds like another flub of an issue that completely justifies lining the pockets of its terrible author!

23. newdawn12

Feb 9, 2013
    But Lucasbooks, and Jennifer Heddle like his work. and approve every issue, and story, he's not writing in a vacuum

24. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    And his story is still terrible, as is he personally, so I don't see how that changes anything.

I would actually really like to hear Jennifer Heddle's opinion on Wood and his views toward professional women.

25. newdawn12

Feb 9, 2013
    She's on twitter @jenheddle plus their's Pablo Hidalgo, who oversees continuity, and future stories Infinata

as well as Randy_Stradley of Dark Horse

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.