main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

Strabo and Tacitus did mention them (they apparently helped destroyed the 21. Legion), and in general seem to have been allies of the Dacians and fought against Trajan during the First War, though did not take part in the Second. Hadrian then build forts (yep not just the Scots he didn't like :p ) to contain them since the newly created Dacian province was apparently right next to their homeland. Marcus Aurelius later led a campaign against them and there are apparently mentions of some later serving Rome.

2. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    So, the original teaser for Revenge of the Jedi only featured one line from the film.

It just so happened to be the best.

3. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Arse! Assail has been bumped to July 2014.

4. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Is that what people are calling ACIV? If so I approve.

5. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    I believe he's talking about the Malazan book. For the literally two people that care :)

RC-1991 and Jedi Ben like this.
  6. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I don't care. Assail is a greatly clever nickname for ACIV, and I'm gonna stick with that for now. :)

7. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Nope, it's Ian Esselmont's final Malazan book and looks to be addressing the big flapping thread from Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen.

8. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    By the way, Fall of Light, Book 2 of the Kharkanas Trilogy, is set for June 2014.

9. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    It'll be awhile until I get to those, as I'm still early in the series proper, but I have to ask: does the series cover the meeting of Anomander Rake and Caladan Brood?

10. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Couldn't tell you, haven't started it, probably won't be reading them until 2016 I think when I get the 3rd volume!

11. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    I really wish the majority of the series was available on audiobook, as generally when I "reread" something I prefer to do it via audiobook, as I find it does give a different perspective (plus there's the general convenience of being able to do other stuff while you reread what was already a substantial time chunk), and the Malazan books are practically made to be reread. Then again, by the time I'm in a position where I want to be thinking about rereading them they could very well all be available.

12. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I would totally have gotten to about 0:36 and been like "wait, why the **** is Luke walking the plank? What's this movie about again?"

13. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009

Hey now, there's three of us :p

Jedi Ben I take it that big flapping thread involves an army of undead Neanderthals and how they just kinda skedaddled after Memories of Ice?

instantdeath The series itself doesn't, but I wouldn't rule out the possibility of the Kharkanas trilogy addressing it at some point. Mind you, I still need to read Forge of Darkness.

14. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Ah, but Jedi Ben was the one speaking. Therefore, using an advanced algorithm, I came to the conclusion that 3-1=2. I did not have time to check my work, however, so there could be a miscalculation.

15. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    Digression, but that ROTJ trailer led me to view this:

WHY DID I NOT KNOW THIS EXISTS!? [face_laugh]

16. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Dudes, somebody send that trailer to JJ! Get him in the mood for the ST! Desert pirates and slugs and redwoods and space fish admirals and teddy bears and little green swamp men and EPIC SPACE BATTLES! Tell him to remember what it was like when he was 8 again and he had every single one of his toys out in the backyard!

17. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    I'm sure this got posted at some point, but on the same subject, did anyone see the original ANH teaser?

I... have no idea what I would have thought of it. Very different time and all. Still, I imagine I would have seen it just to find out what the hell is going on. I can say, though, that it makes the movie sound almost sinister.

18. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    Funny enough I was listening to the radio on the way to work the other day when I tuned to a channel where the talk show hosts were discussing the Indiana Jones films, which led to a discussion of the SW films. They actually got to talking about the original trailer for ANH and how by today's standards it's one of the worst trailers you could possibly make, and even played it, making remarks along the way of how ridiculous the whole thing looks, like how the trailer takes the time to focus on the exciting scene of... C-3PO introducing himself to Luke.

19. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Ahhh...ROTJ memories.

I was in sixth grade. There were two aspects of the movie that I heard about repeatedly:

Jabba the Hutt. The character and how awesome the CGI was.

Darth Vader without his mask.

Oddly enough, little to no mention of Leia's bikini. Either the guys were too young or it's because I grew up in a repressive area where we just don't talk about these things.

20. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Wow. That ANH Teaser trailer. Just wow. No words for it.

21. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    My favorite is the ESB trailer which has no footage from the actual movie -- instead it's all concept arts and a few promotional photos.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  22. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
  23. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Ass ail sounds like a terrible condition to have. Sorry bro.

24. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    What would His Imperial Majesty say if he heard you using language like that?

25. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009

Sorry, you're not allowed to make any jokes about Malazan when you've only made it 30 pages into Gardens of the Moon :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.