main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Agents of SHIELD Discussion Thread (and Slingshot)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lazy Storm Trooper, Sep 21, 2013.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    True, especially for shows with more extensive post production requirements. Though production numbers and airing order numbers don't often differ wildly.

2. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002

They could always introduce us to Abigail Brand and S.W.O.R.D. as some sort of tie in.

3. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    One hour shows take eight days to film. Half hour shows take five days. So I'd wager that it didn't take too long to get in front of the camera. Mid July at the latest. Plus, with a show like this involving effects work, there has to be enough time to get it done.

4. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, I don't think post-production is a concern as far as what was being asked about initially in terms of what shows were written and in the can by the time the show aired an the mixed feedback hit and before Joss or someone else could start to implement a course correction for the series (thus giving us a rough idea of when we might expect to see such alterations take effect in the series).

Going by the P1 bonus content, they do intend to work SWORD in somehow (they name dropped it in a deleted Thor scene). It's probably only a matter of time before they get it into a finished product. Doing an indirect tie-in between GOTG and AOS via SWORD would make sense.

5. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    SWORD being tied to GOTG in some point seems like a given. They could easily introduce it on a small scale on the TV show with a space shuttle launch or SHIELD helping with a satellite or something simple like that.

6. Volderon

Volderon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2007
    Lol this show is so dumb. Jumps out of a plane after her but ohh I'll find her no probs and catch up.

7. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    *jaw drops*

Well, there goes the 'Coulson is an LMD' theory.

8. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I totally didn't "get" the end... what was with the ominous look from the geek guy at the end and the dramatic music? That was weird...

s65horsey likes this.
  9. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    I'm not sure. I'm hoping their not going down a Dollhouse road with this. Though, now it makes me wonder... If Coulson isn't an LMD... maybe somebody else is?

10. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    This was, incidentally, by far the best episode so far...

11. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    Agreed.

On another note Avengers takes place May 2011 not 2012. IM3 takes place December 2012 and AoS takes place early 2013.

12. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    So their basing this universe around what was supposed to be Avengers original release date? Interesting.

13. Lazy Storm Trooper

Sep 18, 2012
    Well 99% of timelines from the MCU show it being like that. Personally I like it because it let's my add in TASM to my personal canon in early 2012.

14. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Well... that was interesting.

So with the scars, the bloodwork and everything else, it certainly appears that the LMD theory is dead as it should be. That said, much was made about Phil being in perfect health. And while Agents should be in great health (Ward being too healthy), there's still enough there that makes you wonder if it's magic that was involved in Phil's resurrection. Very clearly Phil knows he died. So now it's about what brought him back. I think this episode hopefully killed the LMD theory and let us know that the Phil Coulson starring in this show is indeed the same Phil Coulson that Loki stabbed. So now it's no longer about who he is, but how he was brought back to life.

15. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Yeah, count me in as one being glad the LMD theory has (hopefully) been put to rest. Still there are curiosities to be worked through, like how he was brought back, not having the muscle memory to load his gun, etc.,

16. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Definitely. Week by week, the show is displaying signs of finding its groove, but this was the first one where I felt like I finally saw it all fall into place and thought, "Yeah, this is the show that this show could be." It's not perfect yet, but the cheesiness was way down, the humor was tighter and more natural, the drama played out convincingly and felt weighty without being overwrought, and the ensemble clicked. It felt less vetted by corporate and more like the product of artists trying to make a TV show. It gives me a lot of faith that the show can put it all together going forward.

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    While I think Eye Spy did a better job of overall momentum and tension on a larger scale (with the whole manhunt mystery), this episode managed to make the tension apply to the actual "main" characters in a way the other episodes didn't manage (no surprise that they achieved this by focusing on Coulson/May and Fitz/Simmons while sidelining Skye/Ward?).

By pushing Fitz Simmons to their edge by putting their mortality at risk, really got to finally see the characters move beyond the neutral position they've mostly been stuck in so far.
    I also really believed they might just off her as a means of pushing the character drama towards the supposed course correction we're anticipating/hoping for.

I also like the continuing motif of Coulson pushing for the human connection in people who might be on the verge of death- we saw it in the pilot's climax and again here with the firefighter.

Probably the only shortcoming of this episode was the clunky exposition of Skye's situation upfront (though, in a way, it kinda makes sense why they reaired the pilot- with that exposition chunk, anyone just tuning in last week for the rerun could probably jump over the last few episodes to this one, get the info dump, and move on).

Though the opening sequence leads me to believe that this episode was designed to air on Halloween week before they decided to delay it.

18. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

On top of that, even things like the team making fun of Ward -- and especially Ward making fun of the team making fun of him -- plus Skye hugging Simmons (showing she's integrated), Ward being frustrated all episode about not being able to save people and then getting his moment at the end... that helps sell them as a team and move past the awkwardness of all of them together the last few eps.

Oddly, the two best actors on the show -- Ming Na and Clark Gregg -- had the smallest screentime and made the most of it, both in Coulson's time with the fireman and May and Coulson's time talking in the plane in two scenes at the end.

19. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    The scene of Coulson with the fireman may have been the best single scene all season. I loved it. It really drive home what the show is about - Living in a world that is suddenly super when you aren't. Coulson isn't Superman Iron Man, or anyone else. He can't always save the day. And he has to find a way to live with it.

20. Lazy Storm Trooper

Sep 18, 2012
    Was I the only one to think that you know who was going to die when she jumped?

21. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Way, way better than earlier episodes, and next week's preview appears to be the most interesting so far. For the moment, things are looking up.

22. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    I was actually terrified that she was going to die. Part of me was like "No way, it's too early in the show to start killing people," but the other half remembered that this is Joss Whedon.

23. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Nah. I was pretty sure once Ward whined about not being able to protect his team, that he'd have the chance to do just that. So, I knew he'd be defying the laws of physics as soon as she left the plane.

24. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    QFT. And then my next thought was we all expect him to pull a Whedon, which is why he won't.

Like the others, I saw this as the first episode where the characters actually clicked, and that's what convinced me that she'd be fine.

25. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Thirded (or fourthed). This is Whedon we're talking about. He killed what most of us thought watching first - run Buffy would be a core character in the first episode. That teaches a person that nobody is safe in a Whedon show.