main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Whats up with Jar Jar Binks?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Aaronaman, Nov 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aaronaman

Aaronaman Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 12, 2013
    Right I'll be first to admit I'm more of an OT guy than a PT one but watching Episodes I-III on blu-ray one question has started to bug me......Just what's up with all the hate with Jar Jar??!!!......is he really that bad, in my opinion no!

Hearing and reading all the negative comments about him just confuses me even more, I think Jar Jar has taken the full force of 'fans' who were looking for some one or something to take their anger out on because Episode I didn't hold up to their expectations.....and truthfully no film could ever have lived up to the hype people had for Episode I.

Jar Jar was in Episode I to provide the physical humor and 'side-kick' role that R2 and 3PO filled in ANH and I think he filled it perfectly....remember GL always said that SW is for children and the child in us all, kids love Jar Jar so I'd have to say he was a huge success there. Also I don't go for the 'I hate they way he talks arguement' because theres no way you can bag the way Jar Jar speaks then happily sit through any scene featuring Yoda, well not without screaming double standards anyway.

I also thing Jar Jar is a great looking character for the SW universe he fits into every scene well without looking out of place or distracting the viewer from whats happening on screen. Also being a figure collector I'd have to say that the Vintage Collection Jar Jar figure is one of the better looking figures in that line.

Yes I will agree that having Jar Jar plastered all over the place leading up to and during the first release of Episode I was a bit much but not so much that I'd bury a character for it. The thing that really got me thinking about the whole Jar Jar situation was the film 'The People Vs George Lucas' sitting through that really made me feel a bit embarrassed to be a SWs fan because I just couldn't see how so called fans could turn against a character without even really seeing him for what he is and the purpose he was there for.

It makes me think that more people have jumped onto the Jar Jar hate wagon because thats what everyone else says....me, well I'm going to watch Episode I and enjoy every scene Jar Jar's in because no one tells me what I should and shouldn't like and I actually like Jar Jar.

2. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I find it ironic that the movie tries to pass the message of acceptance/tolerance and of value on every being, yet the fandom ends up proving why the character, story and morals of the movie are so more relevant nowadays.

3. Aegon Starcaster

Aegon Starcaster Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 27, 2013
    Personally, Jar Jar had to grow on me. It wasn't until I watched it at home with my brother, that I started to like him.
    My brother had so much fun laughing at Jar Jar, that I couldn't help but laugh stupidly as well. At first, I couldn't stand that much slap stick in my Star Wars.

I remember thinking he had a really cool look upon first seeing the trailer for the Phantom Menace.

4. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    Jar Jar is one of the best Star Wars characters, IMO. It's interesting that he and Qui-Gon both have their shining moments in TPM, because to me, they're both very inspiring; Qui-Gon with his compassionate nature and unwavering trust in his instinct, Jar Jar with his carefree attitude.
    Jar Jar is blissfully ignorant of the "importance" of proper behavior. He's just being himself and loving it. He's also good-natured and helps out to the best of his ability.

Furthermore, he's much wiser than he's given credit for. His musings regarding the animosity between the naboo and the gungans may seem superficial, but I think he's on to something fundamental there, something that speaks of the different philosophies of the two cultures. The gungans are warriors. The naboo, not so much. This, naturally, affects how they view things and Jar Jar understands this, even if the way he puts it isn't the work of a word wizard. He is much more direct in his approach, going straight to the core of the problem and pointing it out for everyone to see.
    Much like children do sometimes. Children are oftentimes better at putting their finger on things than adults are, thanks to their simplistic way of thinking, whereas adults tend to overcomplicate things by factoring in too many elements at once.

My love for Jar Jar also stems from the fact that I sort of see myself in him ;)

- When do yousa tinken wesa in twouble?!
    - Let's just figure out a way to get out of this thing!

/LM

5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I think people just found Jar-Jar annoying, which is a perfectly valid reason to hate a character, although not a valid reason to shout rude things at Ahmed Best.

Jar-Jar never bothered me. He was well intentioned and naive, and as such he got played by Palpatine worse than the other characters. I feel sorry for him if anything.

6. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I've always liked him. He get's way too much hate, IMO. In fact I'd probably say he's one of my favorite PT characters. Totally underrated.

Darkslayer likes this.
  7. Chewbacca89

Chewbacca89 Jedi Master star 5

Oct 25, 2012
    Yep I have no hate for him. No clue why people bash on him. But some people hate the ewoks too, so go figure.

Darkslayer and Aaronaman like this.
  8. The Star Wars Archivist

The Star Wars Archivist Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 22, 2013
    I don't bash him or have a problem with him or Ahmed Best, But as a character he's a bit of a pest IMO.

9. Malcolm Reynolds

Malcolm Reynolds Jedi Master star 5

Sep 2, 2013
    I dislike him in the same way I dislike Ewoks. In my opinion they were there for the kids in an already kid friendly franchise.

10. SkywalkerSquadron

SkywalkerSquadron Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 2, 2013
    I think most people who dislike him just dislike how his personality is portayed. And I agree with the OP, I think a lot of people have just jumped into the Jar Jar hate bandwagon because so many other people have. I think Jar Jar has been a big reason TPM got so much undeserved hate.

I don't dislike Jar Jar as much as some other people do, although I do think there are some aspects of him that could have been different. But I won't hate the film(s) for it, not everything in them can be perfect.

11. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    His antics are wearisome after repeated viewings. Was everything he did in the movie really necessary? Over the top to the max.

12. Carbon1985

Carbon1985 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 23, 2013
    It would be interesting if someone edited Episode I with a different voice for Jar Jar and see if people felt differently about him.

13. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Even though this is a Jar Jar thread...what is so bad about the Ewoks?!

14. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Ewoks are awesome. They worshipped 3PO and tried to cook Han and Luke.

I know that some people didn't like the idea of a legion of the Emperor's best men getting pwned by a bunch of teddy bear lookalikes. I thought that was kinda cool myself.

15. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    Ewoks rock!

Whoa. You just blew my mind there. A kid friendly franchise that features kid friendly characters! That's just... ka-wazy!

- We could almost buy our own ship for that!
    - Not likely. We have nothing of value. That's our problem.
    /LM

Cryogenic and Aaronaman like this.
  16. Malcolm Reynolds

Sep 2, 2013
    It was already kid friendly with characters that were entertaining for every demographic.

17. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    I like him OK. I'd like him better if he were a little less over-the-top, but it is what it is, as they they say.

When I watched the movie in 3D, I noticed something I'd never noticed before; when the Jedi first meet with Valorum and Palpatine, Jar Jar is trying to distract one of the stoic Senate guards. Made me laugh.

18. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I don't understand what you are saying? Can you explain? bitte

19. Malcolm Reynolds

Sep 2, 2013
    C3PO and R2D2 where there for the kids but were loved by all the fans.

20. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The Ewoks live in a giant tree village! What's not to love?

21. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    I tire of all the SW hate, come to JCF and see wonderful threads like these, and so many people whose opinions I agree with, and I wonder... just how did we get like this? Where did all this hatred come from? :/

Darkslayer and Cryogenic like this.
  22. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    There is a lot of Star Wars material out there and there is no way everyone is going to love all of it.

I personally would find it boring if I logged in to see nothing but kittens ****ting Skittles. But that said, threads like this are good, as are the Fan Club threads.

23. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Threads like this are terrible, as they represent the inability to understand and tolerate other opinions, or the inability to recognize that other opinions even exist.

The OP is just full of ignorance and inane attempts to psychoanalyze millions of people simply because the TS for some reason doesn't get that opinions vary.

Terrible, terrible thread.

Mzukiller likes this.
  24. squir1y

squir1y Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2003
    What if Jar Jar were voiced by Gilbert Gottfried? Something I've always wondered. Haha

In all honesty, I don't hate Jar Jar but there was too much of him in TPM. I think having random slapstick in scenes that are trying to be poignant (The first meeting of Padme and Anakin for example) is kinda deflating.

I found myself liking him a lot more in The Clone Wars. Thought that suited his character a bit more.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  25. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

That technically happened with "The Phantom Edit" which came out in 2000, or so. There, Jar Jar's voice was altered to sound like alien gibberish. The consensus is that along with toning down his antics, the character was better. A chief complaint wasn't Ahmed Best's voice, but the dialect that he used which sounded racist.

Simple. The films were, as Lucas has said for years, essentially like a children's fairy tale. A story that appealed to kids. Some fans prefer that the story be mature, dark and serious.

No, it's not that the person ignorant. It is because some of the opinions tend to be far too exaggerated. "Lucas was a racist", "Jar Jar represents homosexuals in the military being a bad idea" and Lucas never had over-the-top characters before.

Darth Raiden likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.