main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediGirl_Angelina

JediGirl_Angelina Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 12, 2003
    "A long time ago, in an alternative universe far, far away..."?

2. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    We'll most likely get approved retellings of some aspects of the EU to tie into Episode VII, with a few cameos from EU characters in the movies (most likely walkbys, maybe some adapted in with dialog). Simply put Disney wants our money as much as the only movie goers money and using some EU is a small price to pay that satisfies the vast majority of both groups. Think Clone Wars with its take on the EU (using it when it wants, respecting it where it can, but going way off tangent to the EU with EU material if they feels like it such as making Offee a terrorist) but served in larger doses since Disney won't limit itself to one Star Wars product on the market at a time like Lucas did. So K'kurk here, implactions of 'the Emperor's hands' there (which in a sense is the Inquisitor in Rebels and the kidnapping Jedi babies clone wars eps), EU alien here, EU planet there, & EU starships everywhere.

Disney won't retcon the EU all at once (or likely ever between now and either episode VIII or IX), they know to a vocal market that will be negative press, worse with so much of the EU fan base being OT fans, since Post RotJ is a huge disproportional ammount of the EU, whom they are heavily marketing to it could be seen as the very bad by that crowd. What they will likely do is release newer cannon bit by bit (and higher level cannon in most places) that just overwrites the old EU piece by piece, until those of us that buy the EU have gotten so used to it (and buying new EU to hook us again) we won't even know the kettle is now boiling and most of the old EU is totally overwritten. It might even drive sales, since every EU fan will crawl out of the wood work to see how character _____ has changed.

That said imho they will respect the EU, to a degree, too. So EU fans won't feel slighted but EU haters will feel they where mostly right and don't have to read the EU yo enjoy VII. I suspect we'll get a warning here and there of a big chance, and maybe a 'but we used this bit from the EU here to honor it'... for example Han's son won't be named Jacen or a twin but he has a strong force connection with animals and learning the force (a really harmless detail to the plot of VII that EU fans might start going crazy speculating about instead of flipping out over the cutting of Jacen). That way they're let down less painfully and sudden but kinda forewarned this isn't Jacen 2.0 yet they respected Jacen as much as they could while working under Lucas's plot treatment for ep VII.

I personally think with all the stuff we're getting in such a short span, the writers will look to the EU for inspiration. Writting that many stories in such a short order while maintaining a universe with a single continuity otherwise is a very daunting task. After all we know we're getting Vader TV specials, Rebel's the animated tv show, 3 more episodes, 2-3 spin-off movies. On top of that there have been tons of rumors about a live-action tv show (we even got a test video of it for like 6 hours before it was pulled), the odds are way more books and comics, movies that follow up the spin-offs, and Lucas had either 3 spin off ideas of his own or another trilogy after the ST (based on source it varries) since we've heard 12 movies not 9. Plus if we take what Marvel does as hints to our future netflix will want 4 tv shows soon enough... and with Guardians of the Galaxy we can assume that since Marvel wants to pump out more than just The Avengers that Star Wars will want different time periods, KotOR screams hello here.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  3. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Someone in the Disney Wars thread in the Lit forum said they heard Del Rey might write away the post ROTJ EU as a "Visions of Luke Skywalker", for what it's worth. Dunno how good their source is or if they're just flat-out making it up but that's a very clean way to do it. "It all was a vision of the future, now onto Episode 7!" That's it. Boom, done. Quick, easy, painless retcon.

I actually thought of this way back when the deal was announced but I can see Star Wars EU being used ala Marvel comics is used to inspire the flicks. You see the direct connections but things are different (aka Jarvis is a machine intelligence as opposed to a butler, etc.) The concept of a single, direct continuity will end up going sideways but you'd see a lot of EU originated stuff in different mediums.

4. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    See, you keep conflating these things, and it doesn't work. It's entirely possible to reuse bits of the "old" EU without wiping it out from an in-universe standpoint.

5. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    There will be EU names used I think, but they won't necessarily have any relation with the actual EU characters.

black_saber and mavjade like this.
  6. JediGirl_Angelina

JediGirl_Angelina Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 12, 2003
    "Visions of Luke Skywalker"? Like Pamela waking up to find out the entire Dallas season was only a dream?

7. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    Or Luke waking up in a jacuzzi at Jabba's palace with a Twi'lek dancing girl on each arm?

8. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I'd go for Luke passes out right after he sees the Force Ghosts at the Ewok party, someone throws cold water on his face and says, "Damn, Luke! How much did you drink?!" "Uh, sorry. Better stay away from that Ewok booze. It's powerful stuff."

9. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Or Luke looks into a mirror, starts cackling, smashes his face in mirror, and goes "How's Chewie? How's Chewie? HAHAHAHAHA"

10. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008

Well, that explains Luke's godlike powers and his hot wife in the post ROTJ EU. :p

11. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    This post made it worthwhile opening this thread again.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  12. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Maybe the ST should take place in an alternate universe, so the EU supporters don't start WWIII?

black_saber likes this.
  13. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Or, y'know, they just get over it.

14. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    How do you get over a universe? ;):p

15. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    Time and alcohol. I'm guessing.

The Hellhammer and Ryus like this.
  16. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Maybe I should also blast the first new universe that reminds me of the previous universe, just to prove I don't miss the previous universe. :_|

Mystery_Roach likes this.
  17. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    so i saw Thor the dark world and there were some scenes i would like to see in the new trilogy that showed up in Thor the Dark World. for reasons of spoilers i won't spoiler it for you. though there is one scene that is reminiscent of the opening scenes of the "Deceived" cinematic trailer that was made for The Old Republic.

18. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    And powerful hallucinogenic drugs.

The Hellhammer and Mystery_Roach like this.
  19. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
  20. Fjw1970

Fjw1970 Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 8, 2013
    I would be okay with the "Visions of Luke Skywalker" thing.

But I just want a new post-RotJ EU. Ever since Ep 7 was announced all I want from Star Wars is Ep 7 and a new EU based on Ep 7. I was really disappointed when the Rebels TV show was announced. I was really hoping for a post-RotJ series to lead into Ep 7.

That said I will be happy to watch Rebels.

21. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Wait until the ST is over for that.

22. Fjw1970

Fjw1970 Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 8, 2013
    I know but I would rather them keep advancing the timeline than going back.

ChildOfWinds likes this.
  23. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    They are advancing the timeline. We are finally out of the Clone Wars era! On to the era after that! Should have been Dark Times era instead of TCW but I digress.

Ryus likes this.
  24. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Wow, been half a week, sorry for late reply first off... just seemed to have missed your reply somehow.

I too thought of that "Visions of Luke Skywalker" idea to wrap up the EU as soon as the deal was announced and been arguing for it ever since I joined this forum (always saying Yoda said "Always in motion in the future" I believe was my quote here). That said if you think about it, "Visions" closest to post RotJ in this form have the highest chance of being maintained to some degree since the characters involved at the time of RotJ must exsist to have the force provide insight on them. Also note, I'm not calling for endless EU useage or minimal... just talking LFL strategy regarding the EU.

So characters like Dash Rendar, Winter, Corran Horn, Mara Jade, etc... woyld all in theory exsist if they choose to do this, its just what does Disney/LFL choose to do with them now. Most importantly which EU characters have to be addressed quickly and which can be held off for later. But once desided Does Dash die or live? Was Winter on Alderaan when the Death Star blasted it, was she killed by Imperials doing a mission after, is she really a nanny? Does Corran ever join Rogue Squadron or does Luke find him later when looking to rebuild the Jedi order? Does Mara flee Corcusant right after the Emperors death and eventually become a smuggler or she stay loyal to the Empire for revenge? In effect it leaves every character availble to with be quickly acknowledged and the forgotten, totally reimagined, or just tweeked... this respects the EU for what it did by allowing it offical status as an official possible future and allows the best of it (that LFL wants to use that is) to be used in future stories.

This way LFL can satisfy as many who are willing to be open to change as possible, the EU haters will have more thoughtout stories that disregard most of the flaws of the EU, the EU lovers will have acknowledgement and a curioustity of what will happen to all their fav EU characters, those new to Star Wars beyond the movies will be blown away by how much Star Wars was able to pump out so quickly, etc...

Now characters born after don't ever have to be born at all, a similar child is born but at a different time with new name, or again acknowledged and forgotten, totally reimagined, or again just tweeked. Also clearly not every EU character will be acknowledged, but in all likelihood if this root is taken many of the bigger EU characters will be.

Though again by using the EU LFL can data mine it for writing tons stories, characters, ships, planets, aliens, time periods, etc... for everything from the episodes, to spinoffs, to tv shows, new video games for EA super quickly. Thus allowing them to plan the where to take Star Wars these next two or three decades. So now for example the Boba Fett spin offs for instance can data mine Underworld, 1313, Tails of ___, comics, etc... then use those to build a far more complete and compelling story line for Boba Fett.

Of course we all have desired wishes of the EUs fate, so I gave limited examples of changes that could be made... but please look at the idea conceptually and not focus on an example, none of which where my desires just random thoughts on how greatly a single choice can edit a character and make them appear when LFL wants them too again. My purpose is to show that doing it this way gives LFL way more options and while not a bold choice is likely the best choice for profit and at least attempting to offer everytype of Star Wars fan a bone, though clearly not every individual will be satisfied with every choice made... hopefully they'll at least respect why the choice was made.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  25. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    I think some 301 pages ago someone said the EU could stay intact & set EP7 at 45ABY ?..............

Apophis_ and themetresgained like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.