main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    See, yet more proof that Star Wars music jumped the shark well in advance of the Special Editions, or Star Wars Kinect for that matter. Star Wars music + lyrics = corn, no matter who's singing it (Bea Arthur included).

2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    What, but the cantina theme is all right because there are no words to it? That's silly.

3. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    Lapti Nek > Jedi Rocks

4. Cynical_Ben

Aug 12, 2013
  5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Yub Nub, people.

And ye gods, I hated Jedi Rocks.

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  6. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Madness.

7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    100%

Also, Yub Nub is a work of art. And you'd better believe that coming from me, that's an objective statement :p

8. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Only the barbershop version.

9. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    sigh. Special Edition kids are the worst.

CooperTFN likes this.
  10. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    I'm older than you. :p

11. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Do I have to get the shotgun to deal with you kids?

12. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Yub Nub and Lapti Nek are unassailable, integral parts of the ROTJ experience. They are awesome, they are perfect for the film, they are miles above the replacement crap, and they should never have been thrown out.

13. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    I would respond, but I'm busy going through your ETE history and swapping all the "there"s and "their"s.

14. Cynical_Ben

Aug 12, 2013
    Agreed. RotJ was the one hurt the most by the special editions because of that, IMO. ANH, Han and Greedo and their little tangle aside, lost a few other audio bits like Obi-Wan's krayt roar but gained a few neat scenes, like Han and Jabba and the extended intro to Mos Eisley and Yavin Four. ESB hardly lost anything, in fact, aside from that stupid scream when Luke falls down the shaft most of the rest is pretty much untouched or improved, IIRC.

15. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    ESB also had the addition of the Imperial Shuttle (with the wrong sounds! .. replaced the graceful swan-like sound of ROTJ with cycling nonsense, and a bunch of games use the ESB:SE versions) using an obvious alternate take from ROTJ and the replacement of Vader's angry, powerful "Bring my shuttle" with the anemic and over-long "Alert my Star Destroyer to prepare for my arrival."

Fett's voice was doctored in the DVD versions, as well as Slave One's sounds replaced by the annoying AOTC variants. blergh.

16. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    Duel of the Fates would like to have a word with you.

Jedi Ben, Gorefiend and Gamiel like this.
  17. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Lapti nek is much better than Jedi Rocks.

Victory Celebration is much, much, much better than Yub Nub, by practically every measurable standard, and is the only change in the special edition that can be considered a true improvement. I'm fully convinced the latter is looked with such favor due to nostalgia; while not bad by itself (but absolutely nothing special either), it's a truly unfitting ending theme. Victory Celebration even kept the better elements of Yub Nub anyway.

Victory Celebration is no work of high art either, but it does do a much better job of evoking a bittersweet mood. Yub nub is one final reminder for the kids to go buy Ewok toys.

Plus, as a personal dislike, Yub Nub really leaves the impression that John Williams listened to 20 minutes of African Tribal music, and said, "I'll do that, but make the voices higher". At least with the cantina theme he took jazz but played around with some of the conventions. Certainly no work of art.

Vthuil and darthcaedus1138 like this.
  18. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I mean, I loved seeing Imperial Center and all -- it was the first time we'd seen it on screen, ever, so that was nice. But I am still, to this day, fundamentally upset that the people there were celebrating. What the hell. Allston retconned it thank goodness, but geez.

Jedi Ben and Force Smuggler like this.
  19. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Wait... they showed people on Coruscant celebrating? :p

I didn't remember that until you reminded me. Goes to show you how familiar I am with the special editions (I've just listened to the soundtrack a lot. One reason I like Victory Celebration is that, despite its name, it really doesn't sound like a celebration at all). I probably need to rewatch the Star Wars movies in general sometime soon.

What was Allston's retcon? Just a bunch of slimy trouble making radicals that were contained quickly after the camera left them?

20. Cynical_Ben

Aug 12, 2013
    I forgot about Fett's voice change and the Vader's shuttle bit. Probably blotted it out of my brain. [face_frustrated] Mrgh, the SEs really did bork up a lot, didn't they? I mean, I liked the added Wampa scenes in ESB and some of the other things in ANH, but so much of it was completely unnecessary and arbitrary. I mean, did George really think that we needed to explicitly hear Vader order for the Executor to be ready for him? Just add the new scene with the shuttle (with the correct sound pls) and the old line would have still worked fine!

And, to reply to ID's post, Yun Nub loses a lot of its nostalgia for me when I hear the version where all of the lyrics are in actual English. I mean, it's a part of the overall nostalgia of the movie for me, for sure, and I don't think the actual cut of the movie meshes quite as well with the song in the SE, but I wasn't too torn up to hear that it wasn't there. The replacement of Lapti Nek with Jedi Rocks, on the other hand, should never have happened and was a bad idea to begin with and why oh why was George let back into the editing room...

Sigh. The SEs and their insistence on changing what were perfectly good movies when they were originally released are one of the main reasons I was excited to hear George was stepping away from Star Wars for good. I mean, he was changing stuff all through the Blu-Ray release and probably the 3D remastering as well. His new role won't be anywhere close to the absolute, tyrannical power he had before, and for that I'm thankful. I love the man, and I'm thankful to him from the bottom of my heart for what he gave us, but he needed to learn when to leave well enough alone.

21. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    So can you tell me what is so terrible with Jedi Rocks? Because I don't hear it

22. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

Isard ordered in several squads of Stormtroopers and it got messy.

23. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    So...

Korra Book 1 = NJO =D= :D
    Korra Book 2 = DNT 8-} :oops:

Thoughts? :p

Force Smuggler likes this.
  24. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Just one: I really need to watch the Avatar series. Probably after I finish the DCAU.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  25. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    I seem to be the only person on the planet who's waiting for the finale to air on TV. Kids these days! [face_shame_on_you]

Gorefiend likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.