main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Dark Times #32: A Spark Remains, part 5 (of 5) (Republic #115)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by spicer, Aug 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Final issue of Dark Times (at least for some time, as they specify, so there is still hope!). :_|

Still, for the overall body of work this series has accomplished, one must give a round of applause for the fantastic stories and artwork this run has delivered almost constantly. =D=

That said, this issue's resolution felt a tad abrupt for a series conclusion that has been teased since the first issue of this story arc- and the various subplots with the supporting Imperial characters didn't really get a resolution either. Oddly enough, I think this issue kind of makes the Dark Times series as a whole almost the story of Kai- it's just that 90% of it's issues just happen to follow the person who ultimately makes him see the error of his choices in the Republic issues that launched DT.

But, I was loving the apparent ROTJ visual homage before the "twist"- and Vaders "landing" towards the end was also a cool visual. Still one can't help but feel like DT's story still has at least one more story left in it.

Todd the Jedi and spicer like this.
  2. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Ah, so it's carbonited, rather than dead. OK, I'll take that.

3. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Leaves a chance of said carbonite being defrosted in certain upcoming TV series or movies...unlikely but still unspeakably awesome to think about.

As an aside, are we talking about Dass or Kai?

4. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    No idea, don't have the issue - have the trade prepaid for!

Revanfan1 likes this.
  5. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Me, personally, I'm waiting for the Omnibus. Can't come soon enough.

spicer likes this.
  6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Metaphorically of the series in general.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  7. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    It was an abrupt end and I think most of us already knew at least part of what the twist would be (though a certain character's temporary survival surprised me). Well done, though. It's a melancholy note to go out on and maybe one day we'll see some continuation. After Crimson Empire III, nothing will surprise me anymore.

Revanfan1 and The2ndQuest like this.
  8. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Hopefully I'll get the issue tomorrow. Really disappointed I couldn't get it today, cos this is pretty much my most anticipated comic issue ever :(

9. JediAlly

JediAlly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2000
    I was expecting this to be the final issue, but for a finale, we're left with a number of loose ends.

I was expecting Dass Jennir to die, but he and the Unuhelme crew are still alive. I can see more stories about them at some point in the future.

The "partnership" between Vader and Falco Sang hasn't ended. Is Sang still forced to work with Vader?

spicer likes this.
  10. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Yeah, a tad abrupt. With how things were building to what seemed to be a conclusion, with the Uhumele crew almost gladly signing up for a clear suicide mission, but its still kind of a happy ending. Just wish we had more of an "epilogue" as it were, instead of one last message and that's it. Still a pretty good issue, and a great arc overall.

The art was fantastic as always, such as all those scenes with Vader and his charred cape. Really sad that Dark Times is basically over, after the cancellations and ends of various series over the last few years, Dark Times was kind of a reassuring presence- often late, but it would arrive sooner or later. Now no more DT to look forward to. Oh well, its been a great ride, and an epic journey of Dass Jennir. Wonder how many years until they release a Dass Jennir omnibus?

11. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    One month.

And five months for part 2 which includes A Spark Remains. Will be weird for me, reading seven years worth of Dark Times in less than six months.

12. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I have to say...I was pretty underwhelmed by this one.

Everything with Hudorra and Sahdett was awesome, and philosophically, I like how it all resolved, but it feels like there was supposed to be a sixth issue and they had to scrunch it into this one at the last second. If someone had told me that the "final" issue of Dark Times would only have Jennir in it for like three pages (and even less of Bomo), I don't know what I'd have thought. Same for Falco Sang--all the time we've spent on him over the years, and all he did was BailVader out at the end. Nothing was bad, but...I wanted more. Now I just have to hope against hope there'll be another arc someday.

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  13. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Wait, wait, wait.

Dass lives? It's Dark Times, not Happy Ending Times, dammit. They ate the sidekick's goddamn baby in the first arc, but they couldn't kill a Jedi protagonist at the end of the story? Great Jedi Purge, you are not living up to your billing.

14. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    I finally got to read it!

There's no way this is the final issue. Falco Sang did almost nothing, and the story of Dass Jennir and the Uhumele crew must be concluded somehow. It's very open ended for a final issue. As a standalone issue, as always I have no complaints, the duel, dialogue and end of the Kai vs. Vader part was fantastic, Kai is (was) a true badass! And the surprise with Beyghor was really good too, I was sure we saw the last of him in issue 3 of this arc. The art is superb as always. What gives me hope is that in the messages section, it says this is the final DT issue for now, so fingers crossed for more DT with a real story conclusion.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Clearly, we can expect "Dark Times: War" by the end of next year.... ;)

16. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Maybe Dark Horse is serious about the satisfying conclusion thing.

Dark Horse is opposite land!

17. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

I always figured Jennier actually would have the same thing happen to him as the Dark Woman, but yep, it does seem like it needs another arc.

18. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    That gag's never going to die!

Grey1 likes this.
  19. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Does anybody know when the Dark Horse contract is up?

20. Protectorate

Protectorate Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 11, 2013
    Dang, this was an incredibly disappointing issue. If this is the end, it's a pretty piss poor end IMO.

Why did Dass live? I already don't like that Vader is written as obsessed with Dass' survival, but he also gets to esscape him for a THIRD time? Why? If this is the end, better he go out in a blaze of glory. A lot of build-up and anticipation just for the heroes to run away and minor characters to get killed.

Can someone explain to me why Dark Horse made the Purge so lame? Was it a directive from Lucasfilm or something? The Purge is supposed to be epic, but instead we get Palpatine actively opposing Vader hunting down the Jedi! Why? I want more stories of him hunting down escaped Jedi and dealing with them, but every time he does that, he's chastised by the Emperor, as though he's ignoring his "real purpose". And what else is he even supposed to be doing if not hunting down Jedi and putting the fear of God in Imperial citizens.

Heck, in this issue:

Beyghor Sahdett claims that Palpatine made HIM into a Jedi hunter so that Vader would stop being distracted by other escaped Jedi. What is Palpatine's goal in doing this? Maybe if he was neglecting other important parts of the Empire, but we don't see that happening. It's not like he's failing his school work or something, why is Vader being left out of the Purge? It makes no sense, and I find it dramatically boring.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    We've had several issues of Purge dealing with Vader hunting down Jedi- and at least one if them illustrates why Palpatine is trying to steer Vader away from ones session over the Jedi (the loss of the AT-AT factory).

22. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    IDK, this series has had 115 issues over the course of 15 years. I think it's had a good run. :p

But naw, I imagine they'll get back to Dark Times eventually and Dass's story will get a proper ending. At least, as long as Stradley is in charge. ;)

23. Protectorate

Protectorate Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 11, 2013

I know, but why did they make that decision? The AT-AT factory is a good example, but that issue shows that the Jedi ARE a threat, so why make it so black and white that Palps wants Vader to stop hunting Jedi? I don't find it interesting, and the logic doesn't line up. The Jedi are a revolutionary band at this point. Vader SHOULD be tasked with hunting them down. Vader can learn to be more patient and less single-minded, but that shouldn't necessitate a directive to NOT hunt Jedi, should it?

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I think it's more about not making it all he does- kill Jedi you come across but don't waste your time doing all the legwork since we have cronies and turncoats for that.

As we also saw in Ghost Prison, there are still non-Jedi threats to consider. Consolidate, strengthen and expand the Empire first, exterminate the Jedi second and whatnot.

spicer likes this.
  25. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Also I think it's important to be able to separate a philosophical disagreement with the direction Dark Times took from whether the story itself is good. It's reasonable to have wanted a different interpretation of Vader's role in this period, but bringing that up at the end of the series doesn't really get us anywhere. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.