main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    I've played some of it now, and I have to agree, it's a fun game. Arkham Asylum was my "gateway drug" into the Batman mythos, I played it before I saw any of the movies aside from the Adam West one, and I suspect that I'll always enjoy these games regardless of how much or how little they expand upon the others in the series. More Batman is always good, it keeps me from replaying City for the fifth or sixth time.

2. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    If you haven't, you really have to check out Batman: The Animated Series, which the Arkham games draw heavily from, more than any other source material.

3. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    Darn this dark season, taking pictures outdoors is impossible.

But look what I found from a pile of snow today.
    [​IMG]

It will likely melt before the morning, and I'm not sure if I'd like a "Walking in the air" scene during the night.

4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I heard about that. I'm intrigued but I hope that the realism doesn't extend to relegating female characters to being housewives. :p

5. Lugija

Oct 3, 2009
    Your character dies halfway through because of some sickness.

6. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Sounds like Oregon Trail. :p

7. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    I don't know. Doesn't Batman, like, meet his entire rogues gallery for the first time in a single night?

The story sounds lame.

8. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    The proper way to do a Batman game would be to do it like Assassin's Creed 2/Brotherhood, and run the length of his career.

Ulicus likes this.
  9. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    It ends with his death and Robin becoming the new Batman

10. Lugija

Oct 3, 2009
    Or, in the end you find out that Batman you played was the original Robin the whole time! :eek:

11. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    I just want a Batman Beyond game.

12. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Who would be the final boss?

13. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Blight or the Joker returns.

14. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    I have. :p I own the entire series, and the fourth season New Batman Adventures, on DVD. I just need the Superman show. And the Justice League show. And JLU.

15. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    So I saw this, and this immediately popped into my head:

If you don't immediately get it you'll have to watch 4:30 into the video.

Rogue_Follower likes this.
  16. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    So I just got back from seeing the Hobbit. Eru, Eru, why have you forsaken me?

blackmyron likes this.
  17. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    I take it that means you didn't like it? :p

Haven't seen it yet, but the first Hobbit film definitely didn't even come close to measuring up to the (mostly) fantastic Lord of the Rings films. Still, I'm looking forward to Desolation for Cumberbatch if nothing else. Heard the rendition of Smaug is something to see.

18. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Nope.

Batman has been around for about 2 years at the time. There are some significant missing members, other than easter eggs. He's already met a number of the villains. But there's one in particular that sets up the other two games perfectly - I'm sure you know who.

19. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    Cumberbatch is pretty great. My only beef with Jackson's Smaug is that he looks like a red, long-necked Alduin.

There were some great parts- it seemed like there was a good movie trapped inside of all of the Jackson self-indulgence. But the love triangle is every bit as bad as people are saying, and Evangeline Lilly's method of acting an Elf consists of blank stares, stilted dialogue, and taking Legolas' shield-surfing to an extreme.

20. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    I didn't even know there was a love triangle. Bleh.

21. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Well, we can't have a movie in 2013 about a bunch of short-arse blokes heading off to a mountain full of gold guarded by a dragon and have no female characters in it whatsoever, can we? (That the source material does just this but was written about 80 years back is of no relevance either!)

22. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    I actually liked Lilly as Tauriel.

CooperTFN likes this.
  23. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Oh, I'm all for the inclusion of female characters, even in a work that seemed to operate under the assumption that all the women hung out in Rivendell and sang ballads all day every day. But contrary to Hollywood belief, the inclusion of a female character does not have to be packaged with a love triangle :p Makes the character feel less like a character and more like a plot device.

I say this fully aware that there is going to be some kind of love triangle going on with Wonder Woman's inclusion in Batman vs Superman. I'm already preparing my sigh.

jSarek likes this.
  24. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Me, I liked the Hobbit, even if it could have had more songs in it and I would have liked that they had kept the scene were Bilbo goad the spiders
    I will have to disagree with you; outside of the wyvernoid body shape they are not that alike. Also Smaug were one of the best parts of the movie, they truly captured his colossal size, his magnificence and the reasons he is so arrogant [face_devil]

25. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    So I tried FTL: Faster Than Light... where have you been all my life? Barely 20 minutes into this game and I'm on the road to being hopelessly addicted. I do not have anything resembling an addictive personality, so that's really saying something. And I don't even need to comment on the music; it's consistently brilliant.

It seems like this is a game after Jello's heart as well: it's a game about a benevolent Galactic Federation having to put up with and exterminate pesky rebels who are good for nothing but making life for everyone around them difficult. I genuinely mean it when I say it's nice to play it out from the other side every once in awhile.

Cynical_Ben likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.