main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Literature member interviews

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Point Given , Jun 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Leicester Square - and it has all the geek cred you could want!

Gorefiend likes this.
  2. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Gamiel 5. What other franchises do you like besides SW and which are you most passionate about?

6. What do you do for a living? Is it your ideal profession, or would you rather be doing something else?

3. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003

Wow! So was Ethiopia a vacation or something?

Edit: Todd please don't get mad at me for asking.....[face_praying]

4. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    How many comics have referred to Orbital Comics?
    It was a vacation. It was before the war started .

5. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Wouldn't matter to me G, FP are the Tescos of comics!

6. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I do like a loot of franchises, if it has a feeling of adventure I will most likely be interested in it. Interesting or good looking design is also a certain way of sparking my interest.

Right Now I can say that I follow:

Both Warhammer fantasy and 40k, even if I don't play it I really like the fluff.

I try to keep updated on Marvel & DC comic mostly because I care about the characters but in the last years few storylines have happened that makes me wanting to buy the TPB - I only buy foreign comics when they are collected.

I am not consciously following Michel Moorcock Eternal champion saga but if I see a comic or a translation of his books I try to get it and all the books are on my (to long) reading list

I am a Weird Fiction fan and follow podcasts like HPpodcraft, Doubble Shadow and Poecast and love H. P. Lovecraft Historical Society's radio dramas (I really need to buy them and not just borrow them from my library). There is also a Lovecraft festival in Stockholm were I try to go on so many events as possible.

I am a big Hellboy fan and have three of the Library edition TPB:s (need to buy the rest), the first B.P.R.D. omnibus and have all four movies. Thankfully Serieteket have nearly all of Mignola’s TPB:s so there is no need for me to hurry to expand my collection.

There is also that I am a RPG collector, I really like a good word building that I do, and have a loot of RPG books that I probably never will use to play just because I find the worlds they create interesting.

By night I work as a morning paper deliverer and by day I am a student.

I have to admit that it is not my ideal profession but it pays for food and comics and I can listen to talking books while I work and since I have dyslexia I can get my study literature as talking books so my job don't really interfere with my studies.

I have No real idea what I want to do, probably something creative that involves RPG:s, any of kind of speculative fiction or maybe some kind of move making. I can also see myself as a librarian but that would mean that I would have to move to another city fore some time to study and I have take root in Stockholm

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  7. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Gamiel 7. Tell us how you become a Star Wars fan, and SW lit in particular.

8. How would you rank the 6 Star Wars films?

8. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I like you.

But if Stockholm doesn't have librarians, I don't like Stockholm.

9. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    You should go. You might develop a syndrome for it.

[​IMG]

10. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    The Library editions are lovely books, as are the BPRD hardbacks.

11. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012

the Young Jedi Knights series were a part of my childhood and I read them before I actually saw the movies, even if I hade some idea of SW from the grate pop-cultural cloud it is now part of. Later I read the Thrawn trilogy and some of the comics and for a long time I was a casual fan: reading some of the comics when they were translated or I wound older once at sell, watching the movies when I hade the chance but not looking out for SW stories or prioritising them on my buying list. I don’t remember what the catalyst to me becoming a more active fan was but it was around/sometime before I come here.
    I don't. They all have their good and bad parts and are done in different stiles.

Thanks :) and we do have librarians here just not the librarian education, that one is in another town

CooperTFN likes this.
  12. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005

Glad to see I'm not the only one who does this. :D

Iron_lord and Gamiel like this.
  13. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    Gamiel 9. What are your favorite non-SW TV shows/movies?

10. What are your favorite novels, books, and short stories, both in and out of SW?

14. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Smeg! Sith spit! Smeging nerf kissing, Xendor loving, mynock brained, chaos spawned, blaster-brained, Waru taken, kriffing poodoo eating, Oinking Chakaar! SMEG!

I hade a longer post finished by two third parts and then the computer dies

Barriss_Coffee and Iron_lord like this.
  15. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    When it comes to TV-shows I have been a bad man the last... two-three years I think. I have not really watched any non-documentary TV-shows for some time now; I have even found myself ignoring the one that I know would interest me. The only shows that I can say that I follow are the Daily Show and Colbert Report with help of the net’, something that gives me a rather interesting picture of U.S.A.

When it comes to older shows that I like I can mention: Red Dwarf; Midsummer Murders; Ano 1790; Dr. Who;

I also really like shows aimed for kids like: Moomin; Tail Spin; My Little Pony; Tintin; Batman: tAS; Batman: the Brave and the Bold; Darkwing Duck; TMNT; Jul i Kapernaum; most of Astrid Lindgren’s TV-dramatizations; Phantom 2040; Avengers: Earth Mightiest Heroes;

Although I have spent one year reading Film studies, the kind of movies I still prefer is matinee adventure (I am f.ex. a proud owner of all the Mummy films), fun action and world crafting science-fiction. Since there is so may films I like and many of them are well know I will instead share some less well know (at least I think they are less well know) films that I like.

Macbeth (2004) – this Swedish-Norway produced interpretation of Macbeth is filmed in the Icehotel in Jukkasjärvi and all the actors speak Sami. It is beautiful and magical.

Císařův pekař a pekařův císař (The Emperor and the Golem) – This Czechoslovakian historical comedy from the 50’s is nice, funny and good looking and lack the kind of heavy handed propaganda that could damage a movie from this time.

A summary of the story (taken from IMDb): Rudolph II, the Holy Roman Emperor, does not have a simple life. And yet he manages to complicate it even more with his frequent outbursts of anger. While he searches for a mythical Golem, an animated clay statue, Matthew the Baker is thrown into the dungeon for selling the special buns for the emperor to people. Matthew is accidentally mistaken for the emperor and takes his place. And when the Golem is finally found, it will complicate things beyond comprehension...

Storm (2005) – a Swedish urban fantasy-action-thriller that is weary hard to explain without revealing to much. So I use a summary from Youtube: DD is a smug fellow, almost 30 years of age, who can manage all by himself. At least that's what he thinks. However, a strange woman - Lova - enters his life, hunted by evil men who want to hurt her. Against his will, DD is forced into a series of horrific events...

the German trailer and a recommendation to see it if you can.

Six-String Samurai - A after the catastrophe b-movie action with fun music (by Red Elvis) and a loot of allusions to the 50’s and music culture

In 1957, the bomb dropped, and the last bastion of freedom became a place called Lost Vegas and Elvis was crowned King. After forty rockin’ years, the King is dead and Vegas needs a new King. One of the guitar picking, sword swinging opportunists who hears the call echoing across the wastelands is our hero: Buddy.

Bunraku – I found out about this highly stylized action movie through TVtropes and I was very happy when I found it at a bargain sail.

After the last Great War guns have been forbidden but that have not stopped the eternal cycle of violence. In a city controlled by the criminal know as the “Woodcutter” two strangers arrive: a cowboy without guns and a samurai without a sword…

Outlander (2008)– Vikings vs. Alien with nice actors, costumes and architecture. What more do you need for movie night.

The Gamers: Dorkness Rising – the stand alone follow up to the first the Gamers movie in which we follow a dysfunctional PRGaming group, and their characters in the adventure, as they slowly begin to role-play instead of just trying to just beat the adventure. This move is a most see if you are or have been a RPG player and still a good laugh.

The Adventure of Robin Hood – probably not “less well known” but how many of you have actually seen it? I love this swashbuckler adventure movie and if I actually hade to do a top ten list it would be one of them. A true masterpiece were Errol Flynn is top-shape and before I found out what happened to Jacon I imaged his tendency for bad jokes would turn into that kind of quipping we see in this movie. If you have not seen it, SEE IT!
    Also
    [​IMG]

I will do question #10 later

16. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012

I have read a loot in my days and there is probably some books that I really like but don't remember right now so I will mention some of the books I like that I remember right now

Gotrek & Felix: this Warhammer Fantasy series is full of action and humour were we follow the (seemingly) never ending adventure of Gotrek a dwarfen slayer - a dwarf who has lost his honour and can only regain it by deing in glorious combat - and his rememberer - a person who record the dead and death of the slayer - and common senses Felix Jaeger who know what kind of trouble he will be in if something ever kills Gotrek, because you see Gotrek is the worst slayer in history. He and Felix have meet Dragons, Deamons, Ogre Tyrants, Chimeras, Vampires, Chaos Lords, Orc Bosses (and that is not counting the hordes of minions they have hacked there way through) and Gotrek's will not die!

Malus Darkblade: another Warhammer Fantasy series were we follow the dark elf Malus Darkblade, the unwanted bastard-son to the head of one of the noble families. He begin the series with little and has by the second book lost even that and have been possessed by a deamon. The series is about Malus working to get the artefacts needed to rid him of the deamon while trying to get so mush power as possible and staying alive at the same time. Through the series we see Malus Darkblade surviving not by being the strongest, smartest, or most skilled of his race, or even of his siblings, but by being the most hateful SOB this side of the Chaos Wastes, and he never gives up, even well after there is no plausible path to success.

Tales of the Shadowmen: Tales of the Shadow men is a series of anthologies full with professional fanfiction. The short stories use, mostly, old French pulp/adventure characters were they either are going on new adventure or are meeting each other. Here is the back cower text from vol. 1: In the Paris sewers, Judex and a young Maigret battle the Frankenstein Monster. Meanwhile in Tibet, Alexander Whateley's plans to bring about the return of Yog-Sothoth are thwarted by the combined efforts of JimGrim and Robur the Conqueror. C. Auguste Dupin tackles the Black Coats with the help of Count of Monte-Cristo, and the mysterious Doctor Omega with that of Sergeant Picard. In Surrey, a young Harry Dickson teams up with the Sâr Dubnotal to expose the Werewolf of Rutherford Grange, while in the North Atlantic, Allan Quatermain and She encounter Dracula on a doomed ship. Arsène Lupin meets Lord Dunsany at a soirée and crosses path with the Phantom of the Opera in the Caracombs of Montpellier. Twenty years later, Doc Ardan has a rematch with the diabolical Doctor Natas and, in the far future, Fantômas lives again!

Lord of Light by Roger Zelazny: this novel take place in a far future world were a small group of people have set them self up as the Hindu gods, helped by having monopoly on all high technology while keeping the rest of humanity in a "medieval stasis", but one man Mahasamatman, even if he preferred to drop the Maha- and the -atman and called himself Sam, decide to break the "gods" hold on humanity and he dose it by introducing Buddhism.
    This book is full of interesting concepts and ideas, some of that I would like to see in SW, my only real complain is how the technology develop once Sam begin to reintroduce the old knowledge and that the "gods" have decided that plumbing is among the forbidden knowledge. If I was a god, or just posing as one, plumbing would be one of the things I would introduce to make the cities less smelly and higher the survival rate of my worshipers.

(Sorry for the late replay)

Iron_lord likes this.
  17. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    Gamiel 11. What are your favorite Star Wars books, comics, short stories, reference books, etc.?

12. What was your reaction to Disney's purchase of SW, and what are your hopes for the sequel trilogy?

18. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    First, I am sorry about how long it takes me to replay. I have concentration problem but that is no excuse

I have to shamefully admit that I have not read that many EU stories but among the one I have read I particularly appreciate

Young Jedi Knights - This was my fist real Star Wars experience (I had previously seen the Ewak cartoon and probably read the Gambler's World adventure in an old comic book but I did not really think of Star Wars back then) and I have reread some of the books through the years. I admit that the prosa is rather simple and there are some continuity/plot holes (how did Qorl get in contact with the Imperial Remnant since his ship lacked a astronavigation system; Anja Gallandro age) but it is nice how he use a lot of the older EU material. Among the things that I like are the amount of different non-humans that are among Luke’s students, even if they are just background characters – why can they not make a “Tales of the New Jedi Order” anthology were we follow some of them – and that every “series” had a new and different enemy. That the main characters actually develop throughout the series and have notably different personalities with the girls as the groups fighter and technician.
    I think that one of the reasons that I am not interested in New Jedi Order is that I believe that even if I intellectually know what will happen to my childhood characters I do not jet accept it emotionally and that is something that I would have to do if I read the NJO and I don't really want to do that.

Tales of the Jedi: Golden Age of the Sith - My main problems with the Old Republic MMO is that nearly everything looks like it could take place fifty years before/after the Clone Wars instead of in "an other era, an other time", Golden Age of the Sith do not have this problem. More or less everything look different, the technology is more primitive and the god guys and bad guys look nothing like their movie counterparts. This comic is a wonderful example of how world building in Star Wars should be done and the superiority of comics over books when it comes to that.

X-Wing Rogue Squadron: The Phantom Affair – the reason I like this one is mostly the art and the design. It is a short adventure that introduces us to a planet with it’s own unique look and an interesting culture based around its university. On a personal note: I prefer the comics design for the mrlssi over the one that is used now.

The Thrawn trilogy – this was my first non-young adult Star Wars book series and I did reread it last year and fount that it still good. Zhan is a good author but his minimalistic storytelling stile make you do wish that they had used illustrations in the books. I also like the comic adaptation with a preference to the art in Heir to the Empire but I think that The Last Command have the best noghri.

Dark Empire series – this comic series is full of atmosphere and have a lot of interesting ideas and designs; some that later creators have taken up and other that was sadly forgotten/ignored.

My reaction can be summed up by one word: mhe.

I did not really care about the news, it that kind of thing that happens and unlike some of the people here I don't thing that just because it is Disney that they will somehow destroy Star Wars

Barriss_Coffee and Iron_lord like this.
  19. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    Gamiel 13. If you could choose one Force power to have IRL, which one would it be and why?

14. If you could be any non-human species from SW, what would you like to be?

20. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I think I would prefer the ability to hear the Force guiding me so I had a bigger chance to know when I was making a bad decision or were in danger
    So many species so much possibility...
    ing over the myke I think I would like to be a mrlssi (preferably the old design), I think I would fit in with their academic culture, even if I prefer it after the Imperial attack when it became a bit less competitive.
    Or maybe a zeltron. After all: zeltrons are fun or rather there is fun were zeltrons are

21. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    Gamiel 15. What person involved in SW would you want to meet most, dead or alive, and why? (ie actor, writer, director, artist, etc.)

16. What world issues matter most to you?

22. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    No easy questions you are asking there.

15. When it come down to it I think I would lose my mind most over is Lucas - I would probably act like Po dose when he can meet the Furious Five and look at the artefacts in the Jade Palace - but I would also love to meet Ralph McQuarrie.

16. I think that it is the environment and how we can create a more environment friendly farming system and make the farmer go around economically. I am also irritated with our tendency to ship foodstuff all over earth just because it cheaper to by noodles from China than from your own country

23. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    Gamiel 17. If time travel were possible, what is the one period of time/year/specific event you would want to travel to most?

18. What are some of your favorite foods and beverages? Ever tried ‪surströmming?

24. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Since I don't think that I cold change anything of importance if jumped back in time to try to stop some kind of catastrophe/bad event - and there is also the butterfly effect - so I would do something selfish and jump back to the 90's to easily get my hands on all the WEG Star Wars books that I don't have.

Oh, this is a hard one. I more or less like all kind of food and it is more my mood that decide what I feel like at that time. With that said: Asian food is something that I am nearly always in the mood for; the same thing goes for lamb or well-made mutton and traditional Swedish dishes and also fish n' chips. I can also recommend Ethiopian food to those of you that have not tried it.
    When it comes to surströmming I have to admit that not only have I tried it but I also like it. The secret is that you should never eat it indoors and open it sometime before you dig in so the worst of the smell disappear. Than you put it on crispbread with boiled potato slices and hacked onions.

When it comes to beverages: I am a consumed tea drinker - preferably without milk and never any sugar. I don't really like most alcoholic beverages and the one I do are of the sweeter kind.
    I can't stand the taste of sweetener and have problems with drinking soft drinks in any larger amount, at least without any (non-sweet) food to eat with it but if any of you are in Sweden around Christmastime you have to try our Julmust

Todd the Jedi likes this.
  25. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    Gamiel 19. What's your general opinion on America? Do you think the people on here and elsewhere online are a fair representation of the USA?

20. What would you do if you won the lottery?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.