main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Favorite character who died in the prequels

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Rolf Larsen, Jan 20, 2014.

?

Who is your favorite character who died in the prequels?

1. Qui-Gon Jinn

97 vote(s)
    57.7%
  2. Mace Windu

20 vote(s)
    11.9%
  3. Kit Fisto

9 vote(s)
    5.4%
  4. Ki-Adi Mundi

1 vote(s)
    0.6%
  5. General Grevious

9 vote(s)
    5.4%
  6. Plo Koon

7 vote(s)
    4.2%
  7. Padme

20 vote(s)
    11.9%
  8. Shmi Skywalker

5 vote(s)
    3.0%
  1. Rolf Larsen

Rolf Larsen Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 1, 2013
    Who is you're favorite character who died in the prequels? Mine would be Qui-Gon Jinn

skyrimcat9416 likes this.
  2. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    List has been amended, removed the character who isn't officially dead... yet.

I flipped a coin between Windu & Jinn....

And, Mace won.

MOC Yak Face likes this.
  3. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    Would that be Maul? I mean, for the movie's sake, he was dead for about a decade. I also think Jango and Dooku deserve a shoutout (before they get brought back as well).

I'll say Qui-Gon because he's a great character, and you really get to like him over the course of the movie. Despite only being introduced in The Phantom Menace, his death still hits hard.

4. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    Qui-Gon obvs. He's my favorite character in all Star Wars films.

5. Big_Benn_Klingon

Big_Benn_Klingon Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2013
    Commander Gree :p Kinda not even kidding, sorta

6. Moviefan2k4

Moviefan2k4 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2009
    Qui-Gon and Padme.

7. thebeanpole

thebeanpole Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 11, 2013
    Qui-Gon, he was a brilliant character and died far too quickly in the PT story. He was one of the most compelling of any Jedi to appear in a Star Wars movie, imho, and it was sad we only got to see this thoughtful, questioning, and courageous Jedi for one film.

8. Ingram_I

Ingram_I Force Ghost star 5

Sep 7, 2012
    Qui-Gon, followed by Padme. But definitely Qui-Gon. Though, I think his exit was just right. For the sake of the story there's really no way he could be a part of the latter two prequels while, at the same time, there is a presence in his absence, if that doesn't sound entirely stupid. In fact, one could even say that Qui-Gon sort of fathers the entire trilogy.

That being said, what's up with no Jango Fett? He just might be my alternate 'dark horse' favorite, who I think delivers one of the more curios lines in the trilogy: "I'm just a simple man trying to make my way in the universe." And, really, he is. Jango might be a son-of-a-bitch but he's not necessarily evil, just amoral. A scraper. Considering the world from his point of view, a dead senator is just one less seemingly corrupt politician; a Clone Army for one tyrannical power to wipe-out another is just business as usual in the grand scheme of things. So, pick whichever side pays the most, and make the most of it. I'm not saying I side with Jango, but I can certainly understand the guy. Star Wars is a morality tale but not a morality universe. There are those within who simply want to get by.

Also, he's got a wrist-mounted flamethrower. C'mon ...that's rad.

9. Mr. K

Mr. K Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 1999
    Qui-Gon was awesome. He was as doomed as Padme from the start, but I really hated to see his character go.

10. Rolf Larsen

Oct 1, 2013

Yeah I must have forgotten to add Jango Fett, which is a shame because he is totally awesome and a lot of people would have probably voted for him. I don't even know why I added Shmi skywalker.

11. Ingram_I

Ingram_I Force Ghost star 5

Sep 7, 2012
    Hey, never discount the Shmi fans. They may be few, but they're out there. But since we're on the subject of under-appreciated ...R4-G9, who has the most tragicomic death scene ever:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    "Whoowoooooh!"

12. Darth Dominikkus

Darth Dominikkus Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2013
    Anakin Skywalker. He would have been a great Jedi at an older age after he matured more.

Liam did a great job portraying Jinn as he should have.

13. Samnz

Samnz Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    Why? Because she is a great character!
    I just realized how many of my favourite character died :( For me, this is really a contest between Qui-Gon, Padmé and ... Shmi!

I've always loved Shmi. The way she was written and also Pernilla August as an actress just embody all the characteristics and emotions of a mother. I felt she had a lovely relationship with Jake Lloyd and delivered a magnificent death scene with Hayden Christensen. I kind of missed her in ROTS, because she is definitely one of those characters (alongside Watto!) who defined TPM and AOTC for me. When I think of TPM (and to a lesser extent, AOTC), I immediately think of her (and the lovely family she built with Qui-Gon, Jar Jar, Padmé and Anakin).
    She had the strength to let go - which is something that Anakin never achieved (at least not until the very end).
    [​IMG]

Qui-Gon is a great character as well. I mean, that has been said by a lot of people. So I don't have much to add. He was a great "What should be..." character without being perfect. And he was an important factor in both Anakin's and Obi-Wan's development (which is another reason why I don't understand people who think he harmed Obi-Wan's character or the story).
    [​IMG]

And Padmé. Padmé is one of my favourite character and - even more so than Anakin, imo - just misunderstood. She was no Leia 2.0 but - to be honest - that was the best thing that could happen to her, imo. She was both stong but vulnerable, convinced but still open to other options and opinions.
    I really liked her.
    [​IMG]

I voted for Padmé. But if I could vote again, I'd probably vote for Shmi.

14. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
  15. Rolf Larsen

Oct 1, 2013

Sorry, when I said I didn't know why I added Shmi I said it because I thought someone was possibly trolling because you can never really tell what with the abundance of Prequel trilogy-haters in star wars communities and sadly in almost everywhere else.

But yeah I guess Shmi could be considered a cool character, I don't see why not. :)

CoolyFett likes this.
  16. TheChosenSolo

TheChosenSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 2011
    I voted for Qui-Gon. Every time I watch TPM, I see the moment Qui-Gon died when Darth Maul kicks Obi-Wan almost completely off the platforms. After Maul separated Master and apprentice, he gave ground until they came to the plasma barriers and the melting pit. Qui-Gon was how I see the Old Jedi Order ideal: adept of the Living Force, but impulsive. I don't see this as a flaw that got him killed, because in the few moments Maul and Qui-Gon battled on Tatooine, Qui-Gon was exhausted, showing how much stronger physically Maul was. And his dying wish that Anakin be trained, almost seems as though he gave his life for the boy. What confuses me, though, is how he didn't disappear in becoming one with the Force - which we know he did, hearing his voice in AOTC and Yoda teaching Obi-Wan how to communicate with him in ROTS.

17. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    QGJ by a landslide.

Cleo Jinn and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  18. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Padme. Second choices would be Mace and Qui-Gon.

19. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
  20. skyrimcat9416

skyrimcat9416 Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 1, 2013
    Definitely Qui-Gon Jinn.

Andy Wylde and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  21. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Qui-Gon and Shmi.

Qui-Gon has been covered already. But Shmi...she was so determined to see her son one more time that even the Tuskens were impressed at her resolve to stay alive. "Now I am complete..." :_|

22. B3

B3 Chosen One star 6

Jan 21, 2014
    As much as I love Qui-Gon and Padme, I said "Shmi" before I even thought of them. Pernilla August is one of the truly great things about the prequels.

23. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I really must protest. Mine is Count Dooku.

24. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Bail B. Baobab likes this.
  25. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Qui-Gon Jinn. No one is cooler in the PT, except Obi-Wan. :cool:

Cleo Jinn likes this.