main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Literature member interviews

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Point Given , Jun 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    You need to read IR$ MS, it's a Franco-Belgian comic series.

You also need to read Discworld to get the auditor gag!

LelalMekha likes this.
  2. Mat Skywalker

Mat Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2005
    Finally somebody understands me. :p It has been a record with snow storms this year as well, we got hit with at least six major snow storms in the past three months.

*Looks at bookcase*

I like Marvel(Captain America, Spider-man, Captain Marvel), Firefly, Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad, Lord of the Rings, The Man with No Name, the Bourne Trilogy,The Dark Knight Trilogy, Jaws,and Jurassic Park, some anime(Rurouni Kenshin & Samurai Champloo), Daily Show, Colbert Report, Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Venture Bros, Harvey Birdman, Space Ghost. and anything with Arnold Schwarzeneggar(you know high art) for films and tv franchises. Video games franchises I have liked are The Last of Us, Infamous, Red Dead Redemption, Uncharted series, Batman Arkham series, Mass Effect series(until the ending), and now Dishonored. Comics aside of Marvel, I'm enjoying American Vampire, Saga, and I'm still with the Walking Dead series although my interest waivers from time to time.

Of course I hold a fondness for 90's(and some current ones)cartoons both good and bad,

Good: DCAU, Starship Troopers:Rough Necks Chronicles, Mighty Max, Rocko's Modern Life, Ren & Stimpy, Doug, Beast Wars, Tiny Toons, Animaniacs, Pinky & the Brain, Duck Tales, Darkwing Duck, Gargoyles, Johnny Bravo, Powerpuff Girls, Ed, Edd, & Eddy, Samurai Jack, Spectacular Spider-man, Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes, Adventure Time.

Bad: Street Sharks, Biker Mice from Mars, Swat Katz, Sonic the Hedgehog, Double Dragon, X-men(it hasn't aged that well), Street Fighter, Mutant League, Dragon Flyz, Star Gate, Mortal Kombat: Defenders of the Realm,Megaman, Digimon, Jumanji, Extreme Dinosaurs, Extreme Ghostbusters, Mummies Alive and I could go on but this vid explains why I enjoy some bad cartoons,

I would say I hold Marvel up with SW as my #1 passion as far as IPs go. But Game of Thrones aka a Song of Fire and Ice is at a strong #2 and slightly moving up and Serenity is in third place

[​IMG]

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  3. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    MasterSkywalker86
    7. What is your opinion of The Clone Wars TV show? How do you feel now that it's finally over?

4. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    I think the first time I saw anything SW related was when my dad borrowed a VHS copy of Return of the Jedi from the library. It was back in 1991 or 1992 and the scene was when C-3PO and R2 are walking towards Jabba's Palace. As soon as they get to sand castle my dad takes out the tape for some reason, I think he just made up a excuse just so he could watch PBS. The next time I get to take a look at the tape it's fast forward to the Sarlacc Pit, I have little to no context at what is going on, I don't remember much but I recall Luke climbing aboard Jabba's sail barge and him pulling one of Jabba's thugs overboard. Again I don't go past 2-5 minutes and then stop the tape. This time I got bored and just wanted to watch the TMNT movie, it was pretty much my only obsession as a 5 year old. Fast forward to 1996, SW is making big headlines with the Special Editions coming to theaters in 1997 and the announcement of the Prequels. So in 1997 I'm probably the perfect age for the movies, I saw OT on VHS proper and I was astounded. Nothing I had saw before it(admittedly not a whole lot at the time) matched up the story telling, special effects(the 90's VHS was particularly polished in some areas), characters, and epic score. At my early teen years I first am drawn towards the star fighters, light sabers, blasters and space cruisers, cause of the visceral action when I got older I started focusing on the "Power of the Force and the actual plot of the story. But what I enjoy about the films is you can be drawn to them at any age and still understand the major themes of the story, at youth you get a sense of who's good who's bad and why it's going on. When you get older then you understand the details and subtleties. I must have seen the films like 30 times(and it still holds up), cause all I wanted to do was immerse in that world. I remember immediately asking my parents for the Kennar(now Hasbro) figures to play with. Again I was confused cause also in 1996 Shadows of the Empire was making it's marketing scheme debut, and again I didn't had a clue on how it tied to the OT. My folks bought my first SW figure and it was guy(naturally)

[​IMG]

At first I'm like yay :D and then upon inspection I started questioning when did Luke wear this getup in the films...:confused:. I also had the nice experience of seeing the OT(2/3 of it anyway) in theaters with the special editions. I was disappointed I was robbed the chance of seeing Jedi cause my friend at the time hadn't seen Empire and I had to rewatch it again I remember there was a science convention going on around the time and I must have nagged my folks to go inside. I saw all these people in SW costumes(sadly no slave Leias :_| ) and buying another(farmboy ANH edition) Luke figure at $15. Man I appreciate my folks and their willingness to put up with obsessions.

5. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    I was probably one of the least likely people to actually care for it much less like it. By 08 I was fatigued with the Clones and the PT being the focus of the franchise. By that time my interest in the Del-Rey era books was wearing thin. I have yet to see the movie but I started watching the series via mostly Star Wars.com. It started off rather slow, and the animation was very robotic in the early seasons but it had heart and I saw some potential in such episodes as Rookies, Brain Invaders, and whatever episode took place on Ryloth(Mace was amazing in that episode :) ) . As the seasons got better I started getting more invested until season 5, after the first arc I dropped the show for a bit until I caught the season finale and it actually renew my interest. I saw season 6 and was happy with those final four arcs, especially the Mace&Binks and Yoda arcs. The Yoda arc was probably the best to cap the series even though it probably wasn't intended to be. I'm glad the series is over as while it had flaws it's mostly a solid cartoon and ended on a high note. Now with Rebels on the scene I am truly loving what I see with the character featurettes(Sabine, Hera, Ezra, Grumpy Cat droid, & Kanan) . Also I'm happy that Dave Filoni is on board and so is Greg Wiseman.:D I expect good things.

Contessa and Revanfan1 like this.
  6. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    MasterSkywalker86 8. What places have you traveled too? Any favorite locations?

9. Who are your top 10 or so favorite SW characters?

7. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    I haven't been to many places, mostly places in the country. New York, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Florida, California, and lived in Texas for 2 years. Out of the country I been to Canada, Columbia, and Dominican Republic. The Carolinas are particularly nice, people aren't in much of a rush as they would be up north. Florida is awesome for its parks and beaches, ironically a lot of New Jersayans moved there or own a summer home in that location. Dominican Republic was fun, I have family that lived there and it would be good for me to understand my roots and work on my Spanish.

I don't have a top ten but I do have a top five.

At #5 it's Dash Rendar, not due to any likable characteristics, nor moving story arc. If you recall he kind of went out like a punk in the SotE novelization and it's not until playing the game on medium or reading the SotE: Evolution that you find out he survived the Skyhook battle and meets up with Guri. No I like the character purely out of nostalgia with the video game of the same name. He had a cool look with the mix of upper body armor and a jumpsuit, mixed with his good piloting skills and sharpshooter ability, it was also nice to see the perspective of a "regular" guy in the GFFA. Though Dash was a bit of dick in the Perry novel. I might have to read Shadow Games to see how well he's developed. I hope he's snarky.

At #4 it's Ben Skywalker/Jaina Solo, now I know I'm kind of cheating with putting these two in fourth place but let me try to put it in some context. I like the concept of Ben and he shines in the Allston's novels but sadly I mostly see him as Damian Wayne to Luke's Batman. Instead of me being interested in the son of Skywalker I get annoyed by him.....almost all the time. His story line in LotF is just ridiculous.....now why did I place him here ? I forget. Oh yeah, it's the concept of Luke having a kid and continuing the family business. Now to Jaina, a character I actually liked. I didn't read the YJK books and the NJO books with her weren't necessarily a focus of mine. DN and LotF almost ruined her beyond repair. It wasn't til FotJ, that it seem like the team decide to make Jaina into what I like to call a human being. She was always the highlight of the FotJ series. It's a shame we won't see the Sword of the Jedi series due to ST but I hope some incarnation of her comes to ST.

At #3, it's Revan. Yup your protagonist of the first KotoR who's the savior of Old Republic era. Again this could be due to player choice and immersion of the video game but yeah I like the idea of me being the hero through Revan. Cause up til the point of the plot twist it's your custom created character that is kicking Malak all over the floor. I suppose I could have given this to the Jedi Knight of TOR as well but sadly my internet service is lousy. And my laptop is a joke.:mad:

At #2 it's Mara Jade Skywalker, yup I'm predictable. :p I didn't read the Thrawn Trilogy at first but I didn't like what I heard about her. She's mean and gripes about how she wants to kill Luke off, she can come off as a Mary Sue at times and is very cold. But once you scratch the surface you find out she's a character with layers, one being she did not have the healthiest childhood around since Palps abducted her at a young age. Her twisted view is actually based on how she saw the Empire as a force for good and order. She has a very interesting background and I like how the pair her up with Luke coming from two extremes yet having many similarities with one another.

ok................. now at #1...... drum roll please

[​IMG]

[face_skull] Praise the Old One known as Waru.[face_skull]

ok seriously it's Luke, cause I like how he comes off as the every man of humble origins but has a power to save the galaxy. His progression and maturity in the films is great shown back to back.It's also refreshing for me to see a good guy be a genuinely good guy with little angst or brooding. And while he is not the Chosen One, he does fulfilled a chosen one role in the scheme of the narrative. Also yeah I like how ridiculously powerful he gets, he reminds me of this guy.

[​IMG]

"Bwoooooooo woooooooo woooooooooooo........bwwoooo.....woooo."

8. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    MasterSkywalker86 10. What are your favorite quotes? (Fictional/said by real people, etc.)

11. What are some of your favorite foods? Any favorite alcoholic beverages?

9. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    Can't think of anything of really moving or uplifting quotes at the moment, so Ill go to my fallback of anything by R.L. Stine.

"Then everyone laughed.
    'You won't be laughing if a bear claws your head off,' Uncle Al said sternly."
    -Welcome to Camp Nightmare

"I feel like I'm living in some kind of dinosaur world," I said. "Only instead of dinosaurs, we're surrounded by giant sea creatures!"-Deep Trouble

"It was darker than the darkest night."- A Shocker on Shock Street

Alert the Authorities Alert:
    "I'm a very good babysitter. I always know when to stop tickling."-Vampire's Breath

"She offers them some soda to drink, as they are probably parched from all the abuse she's doled out on them. Cole drinks his cup down and then burps. Vanessa whispers "Pig pig" and I literally threw the goddamn book across the room."- Blogger Beware after reading Chicken Chicken

http://www.bloggerbeware.com/search?updated-max=2011-05-02T00:01:00-07:00&m=0

"Please, Frylock. Make us a TV. I mean, look at me! How else am I gonna face the day? Ain’t got no job, my wife left me, bills pilin’ up, I got child-support payments. And I don’t know if any of what I just said is true, but I believe it."-Meatwad

Most Italian food, steak, burgers, and I do enjoy Mexican food as well. Arroz con Frijoles, fancy speak for rice and beans. For drinks, I enjoy some White Russians, Rum & Coke, Jameson, and for beer I'm open to anything but I enjoy this a lot.

[​IMG]

Contessa likes this.
  10. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    MasterSkywalker86 12. What are your favorite novels, books, and short stories, both in and out of SW?

13. What are your favorite comics and graphic novels, both in and out of SW?

11. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    Well that leads me to how I got involved into the EU. After seeing the OT I wanted more, but didn't know anything aside of the films. Of course my first taste of the Expanded Universe was well.....something to be much desired. The first book that caught my eyes was this masterpiece...

[​IMG]

It's a pretty cool cover to be honest but man did it deviate from the films in some strange yet unimaginative ways. After reading the first book my folks bought me book 2, 5, and 6.Let's just say I took a much needed break from Star Wars Literature. I wouldn't open another Star Wars book til 2002. From there I got into EU proper.

My favorite books are Shadows of the Empire, Shadows of Mindor, The Thrawn Trilogy, Hand of Thrawn Duology, Survivor's Quest and TUF.

For Star Wars comics I'm a big fan of Dark Empire and Invasion. Legacy was good although I couldn't stay with it. Outside of SW, Well I'm fan of Captain America, specifically Mark Waid's and Ed Brubakers run on the title. Captain Marvel is growing on me with Kelly Sue DeConnick's fresh writing style on Carol Danvers. I like Spider-man Blue, Mark Waid's run on Fantastic Four, Superman Birthright, Superman: For the Man who has Everything, Batman Year One, and Batman the Long Halloween. Outside of superheroes I enjoy American Vampire, Walking Dead and Saga.

12. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    MasterSkywalker86 14. How would you rank the 6 Star Wars films?

15. If you could choose one Force power to have IRL, which one would it be and why?

13. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005

From most favorite to least.

1.RotJ
    2.ESB
    3.ANH
    4.RotS
    5.AotC
    6.TPM

and yes in that order :p ESB might be considered the best but RotJ is easily my favorite. The scenes with Luke, Vader, and the Emperor alone are the most engaging of the entire saga.

Telekinesis, telekinesis, telekinesis, and oh yeah telekinesis.:D There's a reason why most Lit members picked this power and it's because of the vast usefulness of it. Car stucked in pothole, levitate the vehicle. Need to grab a book that's too high on the shelf, use your mind to call it to you. Guy being too loud in the movie theaters, Force push him away [face_devil] :p

[​IMG]

14. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    MasterSkywalker86 16. Based on the promotional material what are your thoughts on Rebels?

17. What was your reaction to the announcement of Disney's purchase of Star Wars, and what are your hopes for the ST?

15. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005

I like what I seen so far. From the diverse cast(Hera the twi-lek captain, Sabine the Mando, Ezra the Force sensitive youth, Chopper a grumpy droid, Kanan, etc), to the creative leads(Filioni and Wiseman :D), and the time period are all good things to me.

17. What was your reaction to the announcement of Disney's purchase of Star Wars, and what are your hopes for the ST?[/quote]

[​IMG]

Hurricane Sandy had hit my area by the time the news hit and I was unaware. By the time I got the news I was struck dumbfounded yet actually excited. At the time of the storm I was having some serious doubts of following the franchise. I gave up on Del-Rey and most of the news relating with Star Wars didn't interest me. But the announcement of Episode 7 with Kathleen Kennedy, JJ Abrams, and Lawrence Kasdan has me optimistic. I do want the films to capture an OT vibe but I don't want a retread of the films(see LotF). The ST needs to innovate as well be familiar, we know all the beats and tropes by this point. I hope the creative team does something new that's respectful of what came before but also not afraid to go into a new direction. We don't need another retread of another Skywalker going to the DS.

16. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    MasterSkywalker86 18. If you could live on any planet in the GFFA, what would that be?

19. What world issues matter most to you?

17. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    Well Tatooine would be fun for like a day, and the lack of water would be an issue, and the Tuskens as well. I suppose Coruscant, Naboo, or Alderaan(before the Death Star) would be my choice. Although Gungans don't like outsiders we're all bombad.

I usually take a peek at world events like injustice, disease, or wars. But I can't stand politics. oh and if Justin Beiber, Miley Cyrus, or George Zimmerman could not be in the news for like a few days, that would be nice.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  18. Todd the Sock

Todd the Sock rawr ima mod star 1

Dec 13, 2013
    MasterSkywalker86 20. What would you do if you won the lottery?

21. If you could meet any three people involved in SW, living or deceased, whom would you meet and why?

19. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005

[​IMG]

Pay my bills son, pay my bills.

And then buy a house

Mark Hamill for obvious reasons(do the Joker impression while saying Luke's lines [face_praying] ), George since he started the whole thing and I would love to pester him with all my questions, and for the third I would probably like to meet Lawrence Kasdan. I like to ask him what he has cooked up for the ST.

Barriss_Coffee and Revanfan1 like this.
  20. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    I saw Mark Hamill sing Happy Birthday in the Joker voice. True story.

MasterSkywalker86 22. What is the funniest thing you've ever seen/done?

(and please restore my faith in humanity with this next one) 23. What would you do for a Klondike Bar?

MasterSkywalker86 likes this.
  21. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    What's that?

22. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    Was it your birthday Todd ? :) That Hamill is an inspiration to all voice actors. I have to start working on my Bane....even though everybody can do it.

I would go to the grocery store, pay about $4 for a six pack and then eat it. Later I would be disappointed by my decision as I could have bought Ben & Jerry's.:_|

23. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    It wasn't my birthday, but he did end it with "Happy birthday you son of a *****!" because Joker. :p

And that's the end of the interview! Give a round of applause for MasterSkywalker86. =D=

We'll be back with a new interview soon, but right now the floor is now open for anyone else to ask MasterSkywalker any questions.

MasterSkywalker86 likes this.
  24. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    You know Ms, maybe you need to start marketing your skills accordingly:

[​IMG]

25. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    That would be the first time I was compared to a "White Walker" :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.