main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I can see them cherry picking characters and concepts from the EU ala Thrawn much like how Marvel's Winter Solider movie took a chunk of Winter Solider's story from the comics, but it wasn't beholden to viewing the comics as canon to the films. Same deal here (not that I say I think Thrawn will be the villain of the ST but I think he'll be used in some medium going forward). The EU will be used in the Disney era to take things from much like how TCW did. TCW didn't try to keep the EU as canon but there is a hellova lot of EU in TCW.

I think the notion of a character being the exact same thing across all mediums is kinda wonky. When something jumps medium, there is going to be an inherent change to it because they've literally jumped from one medium to another.

Ryus and Darth_Pevra like this.
  2. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    i want to see imperial remnants infiltrate the new republic and have han get killed for discovering it.

3. Fastback

Fastback Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 12, 2014
    ^ No no please don't have Han killed liked that or at all :( I can see some of the old Admirals/Generals like Akbar from the rebels who defeated the Empire getting killed off by imperial remnants. I would like to see Thrawn but timeline would be off and I think he would come out later when Disney does a anamation series of Star Wars between VI and VII.

mattman8907 likes this.
  4. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012

Well, for a hypothetical: let's say Thrawn pops in the ST. 30 years after ROTJ. All alive and well, nobody's ever heard of him before, he is a "new" antagonist character to the good guys / 96% of the viewing audience. Luke, Leia, Han, and no idea who this guy is because Episode 7 is the first time they've ever seen him ever. It's Thrawn, acting like Thrawn, looking like Thrawn, doing Thrawn stuff for the Imperials. The characterization would stick very close to how he was done before in the EU.But, obviously, it would muck with the continuity set in the books, if not outright chuck it. However, as mentioned, Thrawn in the movie with all his Thrawn-ness. Would you not want that simply because it discards the EU canon or the fact that Thrawn is Thrawn-ing it up in the ST make you okay with that choice?

Ryus likes this.
  5. Fastback

Fastback Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 12, 2014
    I loved the Thrawn trilogy and would love to see him in a movie if they would have started VII 20 years ago or so or they did the big 3 younger versions CGI. Disney could do a tv series of the Thrawn trilogy but they would need to get it right. I guess if JJ wrote him in it better be good and make sense for me to get over EU timeline mucked up.

6. hckymdgt

hckymdgt Jedi Youngling

Apr 6, 2014
    With a 30 year time line, I have to believe the Vong war is going to be involved somehow, or mentioned. But I could easily see them focusing the trilogy on, instead, Jacen's actions postwar as he becomes Caedus. That is a great, self-contained story driven by the characters rather than the scary aliens like the Vong, and is much shorter. The only sad thing is that we wouldn't see Anakin Solo.

This would allow us to see Jacen, Jaina, Ben Skywalker as the big three, and to have the original big 3 focusing on being voices of reason and advice: Luke trying from afar to stop Jacen, but he's also conflicted because he doesn't want to be overly controlling in his son's coming-of-age. Jaina (Sword of the Jedi) grappling with the conflict of having to face her brother. Ben Skywalker being taken in and doing the same thing.

I wonder if they would show us Jacen turning, or have it all off screen as a surprise. There are a lot of angles a creative team could take with the basic concept of Jacen trying to take over for the greater good, going Sith, and having his sister/cousin have to deal with it.

7. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    The quote was the E7 would "pick up where 6 left off."

Buh bye Vong, buh-bye Darth Cadeus, hello Chewbacca, buh-bye post ROTJ EU. :D

8. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    They wouldn't do DNT or LOTF. Jacen falling is a rip-off of Anakin falling. Lame. If I want that, I'd read the books.

Ryus and HanSolo29 like this.
  9. Palpatine2016

Palpatine2016 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2012

Well now I'm looking at his plastic surgery photos. Thanks, internet.

10. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    MAKE IT STOP! MAKE IT STOP!

11. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    This thread is now worse than the first version of the Casting Thread.

12. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Disagree. The original (and best) "Casting Thread" was the stuff of legend. I don’t think it will ever be bested.

13. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Well if we start posting more of these awful photos then perhaps it will.

14. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
  15. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    First to ruin to thread with pics of the Expanded Universe.

[​IMG]

Krueger and The Hellhammer like this.
  16. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    No! I was just joking! As you were!

17. Darth_Zidious

Darth_Zidious Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2001
    Hello Chewie and goodbye EU restrictions!

18. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    No, I think the EU is safe. I heard Chewie's a Force Ghost. All is well.

Lurknomore likes this.
  19. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    We don't know how much change there will be. I could see them figuring that the Thrawn Trilogy at least was popular enough to keep - even if they don't keep the NJO.

20. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012

It boils down to "keeping Thrawn Trilogy" would mean Jacen & Jania about 25 years old, none of the casting descriptions really indicate twins in the proper age range. Also Thrawn would be dead and they couldn't play with the character again, really. (Unless, y'know, more clones)

I do think we'll see something like a Thrawn Trilogy adaption sometime in the Disney era due to it being a popular thing amongst the hardcore fanbase, but I don't see it being "kept" as in "canon". Too many potential pitfalls there. But considering Disney has already made 300 million dollars off a very lose adaptation of "The Winter Solider" Captain America arc I can see a few EU stories being yanked out and made into movies. But something like "This novel series from two decades ago is canon and official a part of the backstory of Episode 7".

21. hachijedi

hachijedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 22, 2012
    YES, CHEWIE LIVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[​IMG]

22. Buddha Fett

Buddha Fett Force Ghost star 4

Dec 18, 1999

Chewie was a Jedi? News to me.
    In other news, Chewie will be in Episode VII, so he's not actually dead.

[​IMG]

Krueger, The Hellhammer and TheBBP like this.
  23. ScorpionJedi

ScorpionJedi Jedi Master star 3

Jun 19, 2013
    Those guys and Ben Skywalker and maybe Thrawn are the minimum extended characters I want.

24. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    And with the news that Chewie has survived and will appear in EVII, JJ implores fans of the EU to "Just look at the Flowers..."

[​IMG]

25. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.