main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CVII Costume plans

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by Obi Anne , Sep 22, 2013.

1. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    So it's still early, but I can't help myself. I have started to think about my costume list, and what I need to do next year. So far it looks like this:

Secret costume (I'm hoping to enter it in the costume contest)
    jawa (no fragile parts to pack and I can use it for both the RL and 501st photo)
    RL cheerleader
    Can Can trooper (need to replace basically everything except the skirts and boots)

Then in case of a sudden amount of space in my suitcase I'd like to add my Endor trooper and I have had a goal for a long time to make Winter's costume from the cover of Scoundrels. It looks like a comfy costume great for conventions. It means skipping the pilot this time, it's one of my favorite costumes but it's always hard to travel with the helmet and I'm also sure that there are going to be a lot more A-wing pilots next Celebration.

Jedi Hasegawa likes this.
  2. Admiral_Ozzel

Admiral_Ozzel Jedi Master star 2

Jun 7, 2003
    Currently working on Mando armor. If time permits I will make 2 sets. One bounty hunter style, and one themed after my fav college football team! IF time permits....

3. Darth_Haggis

Darth_Haggis Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2002
    Anne! You can't skip out on the pilot! We need you in that pilot photo. ;)

Personally, depending on packing space, I'll most likely bring my pilot and Imperial Officer. Although hopefully a few of us will be able to complete a secret Mando project before then that I can bring or some new animated clone armour.

4. darthhelinith

darthhelinith Force Ghost star 6

Feb 10, 2009
    If I make it I feel it my duty as a SW fangirl to try and don the gold bikini. We shall see!

Amon_Amarth and DieWompRatDie like this.
  5. EnviousSerious-Rue

EnviousSerious-Rue Jedi Master star 2

May 4, 2009
    Will be leaving the Republic Commando armor at home this trip.
    Flying from Michigan.
    Jedi Knight and ICMG will be fully packed!:D

6. Mitth_Fisto

Mitth_Fisto Chosen One star 6

Sep 29, 2005
    I am thinking/debating about bringing my Jedi costume to the event, but how do I pack it and secure it to safely travel and not look like a million wrinkles without buying/bringing a way to dewrinkle it on the other end? Also are they truly secure in the rooms when not being worn? It is a little too special to me to risk loosing and being my first time I am nervous.

7. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Don't know how well it works, but I've read some travel articles that say if you have something wrinkled, hang it your hotel bathroom while you take a hot shower and the steam from that will help to get rid of the wrinkles. Alternatively, if you have your hotel booked you can probably find out from their website or with a phone call whether you can borrow an iron for touch-ups once you've checked in.

8. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Virtually every hotel I've ever stayed at anywhere has included an iron and ironing board in the room free of charge.

9. Mitth_Fisto

Sep 29, 2005
    Well that takes care of the wrinkle issue, how safe are the costumes when left in the rooms or on the convention floor? I have a Jedi costume that I have made some things for and gotten others from family on a 'one-time' deal. So I don't want to loose anything as I couldn't truly replace them.

10. Jedi Hasegawa

Jedi Hasegawa Jedi Youngling

Mar 24, 2014
    Working on getting Jedi Tanake Trang created! :)
    [​IMG]

11. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    That's a gorgeous costume! Good luck with getting it done.

12. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    I've never costumed before but I am hoping to get a full Endor Rebel soldier costume together in time.

13. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Be sure to check out the Costuming and Props forum - especially if you have questions.

Amon_Amarth and my kind of scum like this.
  14. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    I'm currently working on a Rebel X-Wing Pilot, which I now have the majority of the parts for, that I plan to have completed for the show. I also plan to pack my TK armor if I can find a way to safely travel with it cross-country.

Hitchhiking-Ghost likes this.
  15. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    That's always the thing, how to pack all the fragile parts. This time I'm planning on not bringing any helmets or masks, they take up so much space and it's always been a real hassle to pack them. They have received some "weathering" as well through scratches and things like that. Another thing I hate packing is boots and shoes. For my costumes now I'm hoping to just have to pack one pair of boots, and those are my lightest pair. It all depends on if I want to bring the cancan trooper. As of now it seems unlikely that I will be able to fit both that one and my secret costume, but we'll see. It was easier when you were allowed two free pieces of luggage and not just one on the plane.

16. jedinightwing

jedinightwing Jedi Master star 3

Aug 4, 2009
    Thinking of doing a Cade Skywalker outfit.

17. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    I've put that on my life bucket list. xD

I'll be going for Jaina Solo. Don't have that much experience with costuming, so I hope I'll be able to fix it by next year.

Padme501st likes this.
  18. torjoreyri

torjoreyri Jedi Knight star 1

May 9, 2014
    Heh, since CV in 2010, I've gone through a few phases of making costumes. Started with an imperial crewman with thoughts to upgrade to a TIE pilot, then abandoned that one when things got difficult. And in that case, "difficult" was "I need velcro and don't have any," so it didn't take much to get overwhelmed and have everything snowball from there. After CVI, I decided to go with a custom Mando, which stopped when I had trouble doing compound curves on the armor pieces. There were also issues getting the helmet to sit right and wear glasses underneath. Now I'm working on a Tusken Raider, which I think is one of the easiest costumes (I don't mean any offense by that, just that it's mainly robes and a mask), and we'll see how it goes. I already have all the fabric I need, as well as a mask in the mail; so most of the pieces are ready for assembly/weathering.

I still have 11 months, right?

Mitth_Fisto likes this.
  19. Padme501st

Padme501st Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 4, 2006
    ^You can do it :)

20. MrSkinnee

MrSkinnee Jedi Master star 3

Mar 25, 2002
    If I am able to make it, I'll finally be able to break out my Chicken Fett costume.
    [​IMG]

21. nnaydolem

nnaydolem Jedi Master star 6

Nov 8, 2002
    i am HOPING that i can do my character from SW:TOR. we shall see...

22. GrandAdmiralDave

GrandAdmiralDave Jedi Master star 1

Aug 6, 2001
    Not to sound flippant, but would you feel comfortable leaving your tablet, laptop or smartphone in your room?

There is always the chance something can be stolen. Just as you can be pick-pocketed in Trafalgar Square, you can have things stolen from your backpack at a convention or from your hotel room by an unscrupulous maid or maintenance person. I have never had anything stolen out of a hotel room, and that includes lightsabers, prop blaster, my Mando helmet, laptop or iPad.

That's not to say it won't happen in the future, but I don't think you're at any greater risk of having a costume part stolen at Celebration than you are just staying in a hotel anywhere else.

23. Mitth_Fisto

Sep 29, 2005
    Good to know. Thank you GrandAdmiralDave. It helps put it a little more in perspective.

24. Grog_Starkiller

Grog_Starkiller Jedi Master

Nov 2, 2006
    Hi everyone, this will be my first time flying to a convention, and I want to take my lightsaber. How should I pack it in my check bag? And will I have any security issue by doing so?

25. Antlers

Antlers Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 30, 2012
    Hoping to have an Imperial Officer by then, and it will be my only SW costume. I'll also bring vintage clothing - probably 40s.