main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion visual continuity

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by TheNewEmpire, Aug 16, 2013.

1. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    Something I definitely liked about Abram's Trek movies was the recognition about it. The technology, despite being CGI, had a definitive 1960's feel to it.

FRAGWAGON likes this.
  2. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012

3. Aaronaman

Aaronaman Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 12, 2013
    Episode VII is Disneys chance to make a 'first impression' on SWs fans, meaning this film can either send the SW franchise to the skys or heading to the gutter.

What I think they'll serve up is a film very close the the look and feel of ROTS and the OT....VII will be a very 'Star Wars' Star Wars film!

Revious Nugo and Julius Vernon like this.
  4. KenobiSkywalker

KenobiSkywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Abrams used quite a few practical sets in Trek, I imagine he'll do the same with Star Wars.

Captain Tom Coughlin likes this.
  5. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    I think Trek shows us what his approach will be.

6. KenobiSkywalker

KenobiSkywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    As long as the lens flairs are dialed back a bit I think he'll do great.

7. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    I don't think we'll see the lens flares. I actually think we're going to see something that resembles the OT, but with a larger scope using the power of CGI.

Revious Nugo and Julius Vernon like this.
  8. Bobatron

Sep 3, 2012
    There are lens flares in STAR WARS movies, but I'm sure the mere sight of one will make some say "AH LENS FLARE! Damn you Abrams!" as if he's the only one to use it. The more I think about stuff like that, the less I want to see this in a theater opening night.

jaqen and FRAGWAGON like this.
  9. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Yeah, those are common light reflections. But imo, JJ Abrams's lens flares are much worse. ;)

10. TheOneX_Eleazar

TheOneX_Eleazar Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 24, 2013
    There is a difference in style of lens flare Abrams uses that he has become famous for that is different from the lens flare used in the current films. I think that is what people are wanting to avoid seeing.

This is something I worry about. I have no doubts they will try to make it as close as possible, but when you change the people involved you will inevitable change how it will look. The question is only how much will it change?

11. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Yeah, if Han steps into the cockpit of the Falcon and it looks like an Apple store with makeup mirror lighting...

...that's when you'll know.

12. TheNewEmpire

TheNewEmpire Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2007

Yeah, Lucas clearly lost the plot at some point. It still bugs me when I see that actors head not fitting right on the CGI troopers body.

13. TheNewEmpire

Aug 12, 2007
    You mean like Chris Nolan?

14. DarthWilliams

DarthWilliams Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2008
    Abrams has proven he can take a director's style and replicate it without it being flat. Super 8 was essentially a love letter to early-era Spielberg and felt like watching an early-era Spielberg. I imagine he's more than capable of channeling his SW love and giving us a film that looks and feels like a SW movie.

jaqen likes this.
  15. Han Yolo

Han Yolo Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 7, 2013

Exactly, and I dont think lens flare will be an issue at all. Abrams has stated multiple times that he knows he went overboard with them in trek. Not to mention, he has also stated that he used them to convey a point in Trek. Trek as we all know is more about exploration, the flares give that idea. New frontiers, new horizons, state of the art equipment.

Now granted he did, "action up" trek...but if anything that should be a great sign for us. I believe Abrams was aiming for a SW Esq film with Trek in terms of action, and we will get tons of it with SW.

16. TheChosenSolo

TheChosenSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 2011
    What's this "lens flare" people keep bringing up?

17. Bobatron

Sep 3, 2012
    That wouldn't really be STAR WARS though and Episode VII would get laughed out of the theater if it were made "like the old days". The films have always been innovative in their use of visual effects. It would be ridiculous to purposely dial back just to say they did. People are going to have a more heightened critical perspective on these movies than they do on everything else they flock to seeing. While an Avengers movie or a Harry Potter movie could be stuffed with CGI visual effects work without complaint, a Star Wars movie doing the same gets bashed for not being made with models and matte paintings...and the only reason for that is because people will associate that CGI usage with being the primary problem of the prequels when it was not.

18. TheOneX_Eleazar

TheOneX_Eleazar Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 24, 2013
    [​IMG]

I think this looks great. They look like they are actually wearing real armor instead of plastic.

19. Julius Vernon

Julius Vernon Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    I think these are excellent questions.

Crawl: Definitely
    First shot: Yes, I think it is a star field and pans down to a planet or starship.
    Wipes/Disolves: I strongly think so. I think Abrams is a master of imitation (see Super 8 re: Spielberg), and that's part of why I think Kennedy wanted him so badly.
    Shaky cam/Lens Flare: I don't think so, at least not as overtly as Star Trek, Super 8, et al.
    Practical effects: Some definitely, I hope we get a worn down looking universe that is on the uptick economically and conditionally since the Empire hasn't been in control (to show the success of an unrestrained society).

20. Julius Vernon

Nov 7, 2012
    "
    You are spot on here. There's a difference between a "light flash" and a "lens flare." Some of the examples that fans try to point to are lightsaber duels. Those a flares from saber battles. A lens flare is the light reflection on the lens of the camera. They can be used well (and sometimes JJ does that), but sometimes they are over the top.

21. Julius Vernon

Nov 7, 2012

While I don't think this looks as bad as the large groupings of troopers (particularly on Geonosis sands) I still prefer the OT look shone in the other pic. I'm not a PT hater, by any means but I felt much more invested in the OT.

(For what it's worth, I rank the films: V, IV, III, VI, I, II).

22. Julius Vernon

Nov 7, 2012
    I'm actually a huge fan of the wipes. It always feels very Kurosawa-esque to me. To acknowledge the distraction you felt though; if a viewer feels like it is a distraction then it could be a problem. I'm not sure, is that more common for viewers (I imagine particularly younger viewers) to feel distracted by that?

23. Ice Jedi

Ice Jedi Jedi Master star 3

Jun 3, 2000

I couldn't disagree with you more. Being a director is about being able to convey your vision of the script onto the the screen. Working with restrictions is something that every director has to deal with but you shouldn't force them on someone. Besides, sometimes "what you have" is a green screen studio and ILM at your disposal.

24. Revious Nugo

Revious Nugo Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 14, 2014
    I'm of the opinion that George should have tried to make the last 30 minutes of Revenge of the Sith with as little CGI as possible, and all models. Otherwise there may not have been that jarring difference you get if you watch the fiilms in the order I II III IV V VI.

But CGI is there for a reason. If you can tell something is fake, it distracts from the movie. Overuse of CGI, and, these days, no CGI, makes you think this.

25. TheNewEmpire

Aug 12, 2007
    What about costumes and hair styles?

I know The Force Awakens is set 35 years after Return of the Jedi, but technology seems to stand still for an awful long time in the SW galaxy. I think it would be cool to see some 70's/80's inspired hair styles and clothing. Basically, I just want this movie to feel a part of the classic trilogy.

Side note: Do you think it was Lucas' original idea to have Imperial senators to ALL wear simple white outfits like Leia did in A new Hope? Her costume reminds me of the white robes senators of the Roman Republic would wear. And of course, The Roman Empire was one of the influences of Star Wars...

Revious Nugo likes this.