main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Events EUC Interview Thread: Now Interviewing Jedi Knight Fett!

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Runjedirun, Apr 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    I have one half an egg remaining, and many kilos to explain away on my butt and stomach..... :D

Corellian_Outrider likes this.
  2. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    They do say it goes to the fun places. :p Besides, it be burnt off in no time.

3. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    Yeah, right......guess I should do something that actually 'burns it off' ;) NEXT QUESTION PEOPLE!!

4. myztic

myztic Jedi Youngling

Apr 9, 2014
    Question for Outrider.

Since Disney took over the the new movies are being made, and then spin off ever other year.

Do you think that they will explore more of the EU?
    Do you think that they will flood the market with star wars and the quality won't be as good?

5. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    Yes, but to a certain extent. They will borrow elements if it is appropriate and suits what they are doing but they will not let it constrict creativity and storytelling. We see some of that with what we have been shown with the animated series called Rebels. New stories but with familiar elements.

Good question. There is that risk of over saturation. If they pace themselves, properly plan and not rush things then there be a consistency with the quality. It's when things are shoved out the door is when corners are cut and quality suffers.

I still want to know what they are going to do with those secondary films that are outside of the main Saga episodes. It does sound like there might a be a lot of Star Wars with a film for each year, the animated series, new waves of books, comics, figures and video games but that might not be such a bad thing. Time will tell and hopefully they take a page from Nintendo's book about "Quality, not quantity."

"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." - Shigeru Miyamoto

Runjedirun and CrazyOldHermit like this.
  6. myztic

myztic Jedi Youngling

Apr 9, 2014
    Good question. There is that risk of over saturation. If they pace themselves, properly plan and not rush things then there be a consistency with the quality. It's when things are shoved out the door is when corners are cut and quality suffers.

I still want to know what they are going to do with those secondary films that are outside of the main Saga episodes. It does sound like there might a be a lot of Star Wars with a film for each year, the animated series, new waves of books, comics, figures and video games but that might not be such a bad thing. Time will tell and hopefully they take a page from Nintendo's book about "Quality, not quantity."

"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." - Shigeru Miyamoto[/quote]

Thanks for your opinion, but i think they will go the way of, we are hear to make money so we should milk it for all we can.

Hope not thou

7. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002

You're welcome.

With milking… that always turns out badly for a franchise. An example would be Guitar Hero and look where it is today. They should be smart enough to not go down that route and Disney has been around a long time.
    If we look at the key players, Kathleen Kennedy is the current president of Lucasfilm and had collaborated with Spielberg and Lucas since the 80s and had a hand in producing a ton of great films with Frank Marshall.

Dave Filoni was under George's mentorship during TCW and is currently heading up Rebels. Prior to TCW he was director for Avatar: The Legend of Aang animated series which was very successful.

Composer Kevin Kiner is part of the Rebels team now. He had for a time worked with Joel Goldsmith in the early days of SG-1. His work for the rest of TCW needs to be released as a OST

Lawrence Kasdan had been involved with the screenplay for TESB, ROTJ and Raiders of the Lost Ark.

The doors has opened up now for a number of directors to direct a Star Wars film. I always wanted Spielberg to do one but he had highly recommended J.J. Abrams for the job. That does give me hope… maybe Spielberg might do one of the side films or something. I also love to see Peter Jackson and his team do one or a few too… in between Tintin of course :p

To wrap up the points I mentioned… they are surrounding themselves with people that know what they are doing. The brand is a huge investment for them and they don't want to acquire it to ruin it, they want to keep it alive and be successful for many many years to come.

At the moment, notice that a lot of things had been stopped or starved off since the acquisition? That could be a way to clear their decks and to generate a need for the product. Though once the new content arrives… who knows just yet what will happen after that.

8. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    New Interview! Rebecca_Daniels you're up!

1. What brought you to the EUC?
    2. When did you become a Star Wars fan, how old were you, what hooked you?
    3. What are you hoping to see most in Episode VII?
    4. What is your favorite SW book?
    5. What do you spend time doing when you aren't logged into TFN?

9. Rebecca_Daniels

Rebecca_Daniels Force Ghost star 5

Sep 3, 2006
    Heeeeeere we go!

I was 13 and I'd been working my way through the NJO and I think I found TFN through a google search and here I am. Yay!

Hard to say for sure when I first watched the movies, I was pretty young, but I always liked the OT. I wasn't a super huge SW fan (more into Trek and Stargate growing up) but then when I was 8 or so my mom picked up YJK for me and I started getting into the EU and loved it.

More women. More diversity. A good story told well, good acting, good music, and that SW feel.

My go-to book when I need something relaxing/comforting/familiar to read is Starfighters of Adumar, always. I do love all the Zahn books as well, though.

I'm usually online elsewhere :p During school terms I spend all day every day in classes (and my classes are the awesome sort that like to run until 7:30pm), bookended by over an hour and a half of transit each way, which doesn't leave much time for my own stuff. But I got wrangled into helping lead a Girl Guide unit in my area since they needed another adult and I've been in Guiding for 15 years so I'm more than qualified, so I'm doing a lot of weekly stuff for my girls and got busy planning a camp this past weekend. Otherwise I spend a looooot of what spare time I have playing and replaying video games, particularly the Mass Effect trilogy and working my way through all the class storylines in SW:TOR. I've also been drawing a lot in the past year, getting my writing going again by stepping back into Limmie, and I'm trying to get back into shape so I can go back to my black belt class. Oh, and looking for a job. And watching way too much hockey (but not any more because my team is out boooooooooooo).

10. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Dropped by EUC for the first time in ages, and I saw that Rebecca_Daniels was being interviewed so I had to swing by to comment. She's pretty cool.

11. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    A few more questions for Rebecca_Daniels

6. What is your favorite video game?
    7. What is your favorite Star Wars character and why?
    8. What is your favorite drawing to date? (please share if you are willing!)
    9. What is your favorite non SW movie?
    10. What would you be willing to give up in RL to fly a real live X-wing just once?

12. Rebecca_Daniels

Sep 3, 2006

Aww, Jello thinks I'm cool [face_blush] :p

Not sure I can pick just one. KOTOR, Mass Effect, Portal, Assassin's Creed, the Lego games, Paper Mario, SW:TOR... I do tend to stick to PC games, since I didn't have any consoles for a long time and only ever Nintendo more recently, so I'm awful with controllers. I am looking for some game suggestions as I just got out of a game design class and I'm trying to branch out and try different games, even if they're not my "type" of game.

Wes Janson. First because he was fun, later because there's much more to him than just being funny and I wish it had been explored more. Other characters have come and gone but I've always stuck with Wes.

I'm not sure I have a favourite, I'm never really satisfied with what I draw. But ranking up there... it's only partially finished but I did this yesterday and I'm quite happy with it

[​IMG]

Yes, I'm excited for Rebels :p Other than that, I drew my Agent in SW:TOR about a month ago and I'm pretty pleased with it as well

[​IMG]

Again, tough to pick just one, and I'm not really into any particular genre; like music, I like a broad range. A few picks from my dvd collection: Pacific Rim, Inception, Tintin, Clue, Skyfall, all Pixar films, and, of course, on its tenth anniversary, Mean Girls. Honestly I'm probably missing a bunch of my favourites but that's just from what's in view :p

Like Hermit, I have issues with heights, though mine's entirely due to vertigo which makes me dizzy if I get too high up. On the other hand, if I wear my contacts I'm totally fine so if my vertigo was taken care of... I would grow my hair out and have it long for the rest of my life. To put in perspective, I've had short hair for about 2 years now because I hate having long hair, and right now none of it is longer than 2.5 inches :p

13. CrazyOldHermit

CrazyOldHermit Jedi Master star 4

Aug 22, 2007
    My issue with heights is not so much the falling part as it is the sudden stop. :p

14. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    There are inertia dampeners in the T-65 that would assist in eliminating that sense of vertigo. Just have to adjust it in the way that you can feel some of that movement to gauge your orientation.

Looking forward to seeing the finished piece of your new one. It is coming along well. :)

Also, if you need any suggestions for games, I know a few. For game design perspective… Yoshi's Island, that SNES classic would be worth checking out. I know they recently made it available on the Wii U eShop.

Rebecca_Daniels and Runjedirun like this.
  15. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    One more set of questions for Rebecca_Daniels before everyone else can ask theirs:

11. You mentioned you work with girl guides, (that's awesome I was a scout and it was the best) What aged girls are you working with? Do you like it? Do you have an interest in working with kids or teens as a future career?
    12. What are a few of your favorite non SW books?
    13. What is your favorite meal?
    14. What do you want to do when you get out of school?
    15. You like sports, do you have a favorite, why is it your favorite and have you ever played or participated in said sport?

16. Rebecca_Daniels

Sep 3, 2006
    I started working with girls when I was a Guide (grade 4-6) and helped with younger units and never really stopped until I graduated high school. I haven't actually done a lot as a Guider/Leader/Adult member since I've been so busy since I hit 19. But this year my mother (also a Guider) conned convinced me to come back since she needed someone else to help with her Guides. The two of us are also taking Rangers (grades 10-12) to a big camp this summer called SOAR - it's pretty awesome, 2500 campers over a week, I've been once before and to similar camps and I love it. So right now I'm sort of working with two age groups, the grades 4-6 on a weekly basis and planning camp stuff with the grades 10-12 (who are, of course, way better at this stuff than the kiddies). Generally I like working those age ranges, nothing younger than the grade 4 since you can't really go camping.

And no I'm probably not going to work with kids, I like working in Guides and teaching Taekwondo (more on that later) but day to day I'd burn out.

Just from a quick look around my bookshelves: Harry Potter series (since I was 7, gotta stick with it), pretty much every non-SW Zahn book, lots of YA like Tamora Pierce's books (medieval fantasies about girls getting stuff done), Lord of the Rings, Good Omens... a lot of my books are in storage right now so I'm definitely forgetting some. Since I've basically only been reading textbooks for the last 4 years, a recommendation: anyone interested in learning about type in graphic design (fonts, layouts, usage), I highly recommend "Thinking with Type" by Ellen Lupton. One of the only books I haven't gotten rid of since I started.

I loooooooove mangoes. For a meal though, probably what's often called a "confetti salad" though I/my mum makes it a very specific way. Black beans, bell peppers, onion, cheese, tuna all finely chopped, then balsamic vinegar and mayonnaise for dressing. Few other things I sometimes add like different kinds of beans but I love it :D

As it happens I'm quitting my degree, though I may be transferring next year to get more practical skills. What I'd love to do is work as a game designer/writer but the job is so heavily male it's almost impossible. Working in film is another option, I'm just trying to get all my practical skills up because I've learned very little that's of actual use in this degree beyond project management (at which I am awesome though).

There's only really ever been two sports for me: hockey and Taekwondo. They kind of fall in different realms though. I played ball hockey for a bit in elementary school until I got my glasses and I haven't played since (though I love to skate) so it's purely a spectator sport for me (though I take it very seriously - not the NHL so much but women's hockey, about which I co-run a blog). Yes go Vancouver Canucks etc but anyone who's interested in women's hockey needs to check out the CWHL, those ladies are great and play for free. I really got into hockey because, well, Canadian in a city with an NHL team and a dad who worked for the team since 1970, but also I love the speed it has that other big north american sports don't, and really I love any sport on ice (including curling, it's way more fun to play than it looks!).

Then there's Taekwondo. I've been in that since I was 10, and earned my black belt when I was 17. I haven't had much time to train since I graduated but that much training never really leaves you. I'm trying to get back so I can be eligible for my second dan, as I've been with just the first for four years (even counting all the time I've missed that's a lot of time between ranks). I really miss the classes, and as a black belt we're allowed to help teach the lower ranks, which I enjoyed as well. I got put in classes by my mother who wanted me to do things and I was a pretty chill kid so I just went with it but unlike the other classes for other things she'd put me in (like dance, ugh, so not for me) I actually stuck with it. There's a lot of discipline involved, and about understanding that all this training makes us good enough that we could seriously hurt someone, which is why most of the black belts are some of the least violent people I know. Martial arts in general are also really good for centring yourself if stressed or otherwise out of balance mentally - I know I always felt less stressed after class (though way more tired).

We get our names/club names embroidered on our belts so I've blocked mine out ;)
    [​IMG]

Now bring on the questions?

17. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    I am sorry to hear that you are quitting your degree but I hope you are following your passion. I have been following your art and seen that your skills are developing quite well. I do look forward to seeing more of them :)

I do have an art related question for you, Becca.

I was wondering if you have a favourite medium to work with? or feel more comfortable with?

Do you have a favourite subject matter to draw that gives you inspiration?

For a more SW orientated question, who would be your perfect choice to cast as Wes Janson for a possible live action Rogue Squadron feature/series?

18. Kev-Mas_Colcha

Kev-Mas_Colcha Force Ghost star 5

Dec 15, 2002
    What server do you play SW:TOR on?

19. Rebecca_Daniels

Sep 3, 2006

I'm most comfortable in Photoshop, most definitely. But for traditional, I'm a pencil person. Just easier, and most of what I've been taught is with pencil, so at least now I have a range of pencils so I'm not just using my note-taking mechanical pencil :p

Interesting that you ask that, as my 15-piece art journal was almost entirely KOTOR/SW:TOR themed. I'm not sure I'm happy enough with them to post them all but I might put some up - in fact, the two I posted already in here are from that journal. I like how many options there are when drawing SW stuff, and the size of the SW:TOR campaign leads to a lot of moments in the stories that are very inspiring, a lot of iconic moments reminiscent of the movies. I tend to get almost "snapshots" of moments in my head that I want to transfer onto paper, and they're almost always inspired by something I'm very engaged in already, like a video game or an RPG.

I'm pretty terrible at casting, so I don't really know. I know I don't like any of the suggestions I've seen when people play casting games, but I've never come up with anything better. I think I'm too attached to his look in the comics :p

I'm pretty evenly split between Bergeren Colony (higher levels Letida, Commando and Rethza, Gunslinger) and Jedi Covenant (higher levels Tlen, Juggernaut and Sabinn, Sage), though I haven't been on in a while due to being too busy and having to entirely reinstall and then entirely reinstall again. So I don't even know if I'm going to get the May the 4th reward since I doubt it'll finish installing by midnight :(

20. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    Thank you so much Rebecca_Daniels

Our next interview is with Skywalker_T-65 also known as Sky Guy, Here is your first set of questions:

21. Skywalker_T-65

Skywalker_T-65 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 19, 2009
    First: I don't know how to multiple quote, so I'll just answer these in order :p

I think it was spotting the GoL back on the Temp boards I believe. Prior to that I spent all my time (on the old boards) in the fanfic section. That's noticeable in that I only had ~250 or so posts on the old boards, but now I've got 12k thanks in large part to the EUC.

Make that 14k. Time flies.

I was...ten I think? It was the Rouge Squadron video games that started it. Always a fan of flight-sims, so not a surprise those are the first SW games I ever played in retrospect.

New ships, preferably a Victory or two.

Now that's a hard one...probably the ROTS novel. Much better written than the movie itself (IMO).

Writing various stories, playing various video games, or watching Stargate for the most part. Oh, and studying...lots and lots of studying :p

22. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    For Multiple quotes: do the standard quote then at the parts you want to separate, copy/paste the opening code at each section you want to divide and make sure at the end of each to close it.

Or… you could click the " quote button in the rich text editor and
    paste what you want into that.

Rogue Squadron was awesome. Lost track of how many hours I have put into those games on the Nintendo 64 and Gamecube.

23. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    You answered quickly :) I have some more questions Skywalker_T-65

6. What is your favorite SW ship of all time and what would you give up in RL to fly one?
    7. How did you get intersted in writing?
    8. How many stories have you started and how many have you finished?
    9. What is your favorite video game? (give me at least one SW and one non SW)
    10. What are you studying and why did you chose that major?

24. Skywalker_T-65

Skywalker_T-65 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 19, 2009
    I had a chance to check my stuff before going to class, that's how I answered so quick :p

Victory Star Destroyer by far. Though I'm not sure that's a 'fly' so much as 'command' in this case. I would probably give up college to do so.

I honestly don't remember what got me into writing. I do know that its one of the most fun things for me these days though, which is why I can't stop.

...hmm...not sure how many I've started...maybe 15 or so? Only ever finished one though, since my plot bunnies like making me start new ideas instead of focusing on finishing one.

Favorite SW game would be Empire at War. Yeah, most people think its too simple or get annoyed at the story of the expansion, but I've always found it fun.

Non-SW:

As I've brought up in the BMC (in relation to the awesome soundtrack) Skies of Arcadia has been my favorite game (favorite period) for quite literally half of my lifetime. I love this game.

History and Government Education. Mostly chosen because I love history, which makes it a simpler task to teach it.

25. Ananta Chetan

Ananta Chetan Force Ghost star 5

Aug 11, 2013
    Your current GoL apprentice appears to be a menace and a scourge to these boards. Do you consider yourself cursed by the Force itself to have received such a padawan?

:p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.