main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A Cynical Walk Through the NJO

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Cynical_Ben, Aug 17, 2013.

1. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I liked this:

LOL [face_laugh][face_plain]

ninja'd again

Revanfan1 and DigitalMessiah like this.
  2. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Oh like it'd be better than 90% of the other book titles in the 'verse. There's a book called "Hero's Trial" in the very same series, or even "Dark Journey". Half of the titles are taken from dialogue or names of things in the book, the other are just descriptions of the plot. DM is right, Turning Point is name-dropped at least twice within character dialogue for no reason other than to assure the audience that the GA is going to start winning now. Destiny's Way sounds neato but really doesn't mean anything specific to the story at all. You might as well call the entire series destiny's way, heck, the entire saga could be destiny's way.

3. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    future victims I guess

How great would Star Wars have been though if Luke died instead of Obi-Wan and it was about Alec Guinness pulling Yoda out of retirement to take on Vader.

Edit: Traitor was originally titled Underworld. I'm not sure what's better. Thanks Yavin Vassilika.

4. Riv_Shiel

Riv_Shiel Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2014
    The fact of the matter is that Jacen has no choice in the matter. He has powers that make his decisions determine the fates of others. Even if he does nothing it effects people - opportunity costs! All Vergere does is make him acknowledge that he is a gardener and take responsibility for his decisions (or indecisions). And guess what, once he realizes that even what he doesn't do has consequences he starts making decisions that actually help people.

5. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    This should be interesting.

but vergere says there's no dark side and yoda says there is movie trumps book the end [face_mischief]

[​IMG]
    The Force is one.

time is a flat circle? is that nietzsche?

Revanfan1 likes this.
  6. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    This little lost answer is without its question. Oh, here it comes now.

"Can someone give me an example of a fictional energy field?"

7. Sniper_Wolf

Sniper_Wolf Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    Was there a reason given for "Ylesia"'s removal from Destiny's Way, outside of e-book sales? There's a noticeable gap in towards the end of the book where, I assume, the e-book was.

8. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I think it was between chapters 23 and 24, or somewhere around there. I posted earlier in the thread about it I think.

I would guess it was removed because it was pretty tangential to the overall plot.

9. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Yeah, it would've been pretty meaningless if it'd been in the book. As a story on its own, it works far better. I mean, the whole Thrackan plot is secluded to that story; he isn't seen (or mentioned, IIRC) at any point in Destiny's Way.

10. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    The Ralroost kind of looks like the Pillar of Autumn.

It's no SS Jimmy though, that's for sure.

Sniper_Wolf and Revanfan1 like this.
  11. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Would have been nice to see it contained in the paperback though instead of TJK.

anguirus2003 and Revanfan1 like this.
  12. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    I never noticed...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That is insanely cool.

13. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    In DW, Shimrra interrogates Nom Anor about the World Brain but everyone is willing to just blame Vergere.

14. Sniper_Wolf

Nov 26, 2002
    You mean the Sulaco?

15. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I think the Ralroost and PoA are broader than the Sulaco, but I'm sure the PoA was inspired by it like everything else in Halo pastiching Aliens.

16. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Setting a trend ;)

17. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    "The chicken did it!"

Gamiel likes this.
  18. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Can you give us a link to it?
    I though that was the joke

19. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    So, let's discuss the most popular part of Traitor, the praxis of the shameful secret of the Jedi:
    [​IMG]

Why is this scene one of the most popular among the entire Expanded Universe? Because Ganner was a bad enough dude to hold off a Yuuzhan Vong army singlehandedly?

I like to think that Ganner greased his chest up before he came out.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  20. JediKnight75

JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 15, 2011
    For me that scene is the perfect way to conclude Ganner's story arc. He starts as an arrogant Jedi, very much at odds with Luke's views and he especially would be opposed to Jacen's philosophy (I don't think we see that last part until Ganner mentions it to Jacen right before that scene but it's obvious just based in who they were). Then we get to the end of Traitor and Ganner is willing to sacrifice himself so that Jacen can escape. There was no way that he'd have done this during the Dark Tide Duology. Thus, he has became a better Jedi, much like Jacen has become. His redemption involved a complete reversal to who he once was -- his sacrifice took the humility to recognize Jacen's importance which is the opposite of his previous arrogance. Such a situation made for a powerful scene. Although, his method of accomplishing this is in line with his previous method of taking the fight to the Vong. Thus this presents another parallel to Jacen's development. Jace goes from a pacifist to being more willing previous; at the same to.e he maintains his respect for life, which compells him to ensure that genocide isn't committed against the Vong. While this is not as complete of a change as Ganner's, it still involves a change in perspective and the extension of a previous held view or approach towards a more beneficial end.

JediMatteus and Revanfan1 like this.
  21. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    The WJW author thread is here.

Gamiel likes this.
  22. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    "Let's show them what a grandstander and a bleeding heart can do."

Iron_lord and JediKnight75 like this.
  23. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    It'll be a show they'll never forget.

24. Sniper_Wolf

Nov 26, 2002
    When I reread the novel I had forgotten Ganner's last stand and Jacen's shindig switched to present tense. I think Traitor is the only EU book to have a tense switch.

25. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Elaborate.