main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Episode 7 Plot Detail(?) from BadAss Digest: UPDATED - "the lightsaber". Talk to the hand, hand!

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by UK Sullustian, Jul 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frank_TJ_Mackey

Frank_TJ_Mackey Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2000
    How can you call this lazy writing if you don't have the context ??

2. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Finally re-reading the spoiler made me realize that the first part about the opening crawl leading to the hand was meant as a joke to set up the overall spoiler plot. The first line said "imagine the opening crawl". Later it says something about Han not flying the Falcon with "could be a spoiler" after that. Nothing about a possible specific spoiler in the idea of a hand floating in space. That was a silly conjecture in the article to catch people's attention.

Sounds like it was meant that a saber is found by Daisy and/or John but the part about it getting there was made to add humor.

Reading it again just now made me feel a little better about how this WHOLE thing may have been taken WAY out of context and may be an interpretation. The horribly poor delivery of it led us to believe that all of it was to be taken seriously.

Is it any more true? No....but we can safely erase the idea of the hand floating in space and ANYTHING remotely related to a spoiler about what happens after the opening crawl.

3. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    1000 posts. dear god.

Lord Nikon likes this.
  4. Lord Nikon

Lord Nikon Jedi Master star 3

Nov 2, 2012
    No one is really saying (that I've seen) that they won't go to the film. Be real, we're all Star wars fans here, and we'll all be going...but does that mean we all have to shut up about the discussion topic with opposing viewpoints?

How entirely charming of you to think for us!

5. Frank_TJ_Mackey

Dec 6, 2000
    Jedijax said he would stay home........which I find ridicule....

Satipo likes this.
  6. hachijedi

hachijedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 22, 2012
    Im saying Luke getting hand cut off again is lazy. We aleady seen it wit anakin luke and vader. Enough with the cut off hands.

ChildOfWinds and Lurknomore like this.
  7. Lord Nikon

Nov 2, 2012
    Yeah, but he doesn't mean it. WE all know that as riled as we might get/be...we're all going opening night.

Claire1976 likes this.
  8. Lord Nikon

Nov 2, 2012
    This is a fair point. Severed hands AND robotic hands have been a large theme over the course of the 6 films. Bringing it back in seems weak.

hachijedi and Lurknomore like this.
  9. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    As a follow up to my last post, the reason this Devin guy thinks we are all dumb (both people who hate and are okay with the floating hand bit) is that we actually took it seriously and took it to mean that it was actually a serious part of the spoiler. Does he need to dumb it down for us? (he's still a douche by the way)

(1) Luke missing
    (2) Daisy/John find a saber
    (3) Han and Chewie are enlisted to help with the search
    (4) Someone is preparing something really bad somewhere else

Now I even feel completely stupid for assuming the floating hand was part of the specific plot spoilers/rumors. It was established that they were vague anyway.

-Feeling a sigh of relief now![face_relieved]

10. Frank_TJ_Mackey

Dec 6, 2000
    Enough with the cut off hands in SW is like saying "Enough with I have a bad feeling about this".

It's a leitmotif in SW.

Pfluegermeister likes this.
  11. PrincipalSnyder

PrincipalSnyder Jedi Youngling

Jul 22, 2014
    Hi Lord Chazza ! I must say I have little experience of the EU. So Boyega's character has be a conscript experiencing redemption issues ? Actually, it's very much what happens in the the first of the Jacen and Jaina books.

Actually, I never saw the Empire as a very durable form of power (despite its propaganda), as it was nothing but a tool in the hands of sith lords. In my opinion, it had to be external to the society, without real support in the galaxy other than what is provided by fear of retaliation. That's also why I am surprised to learn there could have been concripts or volunteers. But it's the EU's problem : different 'points of view' as Obi Wan would put it. Also, it is possible that the franchise adapted itself to the EU by making conscripts of the clone troopers because of the Qorl story. Anyway, thank you for the explanation.

Hi Satipo ! As I said, it is true SW is about fantasy and is not 'adamantely' accurate in terms of science. Believe me, I am not a science addict -- on a mere narrative plan, it also happens to be a bad/weirdo Macguffin. Nevertheless, there are some basic standards. Actually a hand does not wander into space from one system to another. Especially if it is the Cloud City (organic) severed hand landing on Tatooine. But it already has been discussed. Actually, this hand reminds me of the swallow issue in Mounty Python's Holy Grail :(

Lord Chazza likes this.
  12. Lord Nikon

Nov 2, 2012
    All of this works for me. The only portion that I'd want to be slightly different is the assumption that Luke has been gone as long as he has...I'd really be more comfortable if it had only been a few years and that they hadn't assumed him missing till a ways into that few years...like he'd gone off on a quest as a Jedi and hadn't returned at the 2 year point he said he was going to...and into year 3 Boyega and Ridley find the lightsaber, and giving it to Han who decides that something must have gone horribly wrong if Luke isn't yet back, and his lightsaber is not hanging on his belt and was found on a distant planet. Bango. Done and done. This leaves a bunch of the things from the rumours intact, but doesn't have a stupid hand floating in space.

In fact. You could even continue the "ship after Opening Scrawl" bit from the other six films, by showing a space battle after the crawl and when one ship gets partially blown away part of the debris making planetfall is a lightsaber. Done. The theme of the other six film openings is intact, and you still get to have lightsaber as macguffin (if that's what they want).

Adi_Gallia_9 likes this.
  13. Lurknomore

Lurknomore Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 18, 2014

I still don't believe the report either, but Faraci is saying that an actual hand will be floating in space and then falling through the atmosphere:

[​IMG]

Here he gets into a discussion about the hand burning up:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Lord Nikon

Nov 2, 2012
    Enough with the cut off hands in SW is like saying "Enough with I have a bad feeling about this".

It's a leitmotif in SW.[/quote]

Is that something that needs to be constantly present though? I mean I can't be the only one who got tired of "I've got a bad feeling about this" in the prequels, can I?

15. Admiral_Bumblebee

Admiral_Bumblebee Jedi Master

Oct 17, 2003
    Maybe the hand needs to be attached to the saber to make it clear that this is indeed Luke's lightsaber. Maybe it would be possible that someone else could have constructed a similar lightsaber somewhere in a galaxy with trillions of lifeforms. But the saber together with an artificial hand would make it clear that it belongs to Luke.
    But this still does not answer the question if a lightsaber and an artificial hand could survive entry into the atmosphere of a planet. Maybe the heat would not be that great if it would follow the trajectory of another object? Maybe if it would be behind a spaceship entering the atmosphere, being pulled behind it?

16. soul8luos

soul8luos Jedi Master star 4

Sep 19, 2013
  17. GenericUsername123

GenericUsername123 Jedi Youngling

Jul 18, 2014
    Star Wars is now LOST. You've been mysteryboxed.

18. KINGKONG83

KINGKONG83 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 22, 2004
    well,its not like the other star wars movies were cheesy at all now right?

19. Lord Nikon

Nov 2, 2012
    Indeed, but I think everyone is collectively expecting more form JJ and Kasdan than was provided us in the prequels that more cheese.

20. unicron5

unicron5 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Mar 19, 2002

There's still enough to work with there to make a pretty decent movie I think.

I'm kind of glad this report got out, so I can scale my expectations back a bit. I mean if the movie is unfreakingbelievable and all that great, but if its less than that, then OK, it won't be such a blow.

To be honest all I want is something at minimum that feels more "human" and closer in the tone to the OT than the prequels. If Ep. VII can do that I'm fine with it.

A floating hand maybe a bit odd, but it's only a plot device that has maybe 10 seconds of screen time, it's not something that cripples a film in a way that having Jar Jar in every second scene would.

Satipo likes this.
  21. hachijedi

hachijedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 22, 2012
    Sorry but im not defending a guy that just called our forum a bunch of idiots. He's way on his high horse. He hasn't seen a script so Im in the camp he has no more information than any of us.

22. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014

I kind of think (if true) that starting with the severed hand as the mcguffin is actually pretty damn fun.

Uh, I think he absolutey has heard more than most on here, even if some of what he's heard might be wide of the mark.

Why is the most logical explanation for the hand so hard for people to grasp in that series of tweets?

We know Luke has a droid hand. A droid hand could still grip the hilt. A droid hand and the saber hilt could both survive a fall through the atmosphere without stretching believability.

Is it because people find the hand image so goofy they have to invent reasons it can't work?

I think it's potentially worth showing the hand, because it immediately links it to Luke and something very bad happening to him. A saber on its own (while less off an idea) doesn't quite have the same immediate link. But again, maybe they decide the reaction to the hand is so strong they just decide to go with the saber. Or maybe it's one of the areas Devin has been corrected on.

I still think it would be a potentially startling image to begin on.

23. Admiral_Bumblebee

Admiral_Bumblebee Jedi Master

Oct 17, 2003
    I do not have a problem with Luke having been missing for many years. And I don't have a problem with the floating hand in space clutching a lightsaber as long as it is Luke's artificial hand.
    But I would be very interested in hearing how the hand and lightsaber can survive the heat generated by entering the atmosphere of a planet. Also wouldn't lightsaber and (metal) hand not be melted together by the heat?

24. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    The Jedi Hunter rumor has nothing on this! :D

Lord Chazza and thejeditraitor like this.
  25. unicron5

unicron5 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Mar 19, 2002

It also reads like something straight out of the "Lost" (tv series) playbook of storytelling. So I can see it possibly being something Abrams would go for.

dolphin and Satipo like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.