main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Canderous and Cade's Crazy Cantina: a shiny new fanfiction social thread!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Commander-DWH, Aug 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. taramidala

taramidala Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 1999
    Bri, whiskey goes just fine with diet coke or ginger ale. But if she got you some good stuff, have at least a tiny bit on the rocks.

2. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    I highly doubt it's anything special (the name is Ballantine's), but I plan to try some on the rocks... when I get a ice-cube tray. I think my grandfather drinks it with ginger ale, so maybe I'll get some diet stuff and try that too.

3. taramidala

taramidala Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 1999
    It's from Scotland. It's better than anything you get here. ;)

4. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    She's got a point.

Of course, I don't drink any alcohol; it all tastes like turpentine to me. :p

5. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    ACK! I ran into one of my biggest peeves in someone's character bio for an RP! Went into a rant about it elsewhere as I just couldn't stop obsessing over it. It was not doing the research once again and the subject was biology.

6. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    True, but I think you can get in in Canada. We have some weird liquor laws here. We can import pretty much anything internationally, but it's illegal for a liquor store to buy product from another Canadian Province. But I'm going to try some on Friday. I REALLY don't like drinking alone (it's like the most depressing thing ever) but I bought a really tiny one-person steak and some tortellini so I might treat myself on Friday. I'll give a review if I do.

Was it a human bio? I can understand taking liberties with alien biology, but when it comes to human biology, there's no excuse in the world of Wikipedia.

7. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    There's plenty of biology to fail at even when it comes to fictional species, particularly when it comes to our fellow carbon-based lifeforms.

8. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Touchè. But still, there wikis for pretty much everything, so if something has 'established' biology, you can probably look it up.

9. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I'll sum it up as the person really doesn't know how venom works, what biotoxins are, or how DNA works.

10. Gemma

Gemma Jedi Master star 4

Dec 25, 2013
    Briannakin My Grand-Dad used to like a drink called a Whiskey Sour -- there are tons of different recipes on the net for it. It was his drink of choice.

K'Tai qel Letta-Tanku likes this.
  11. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    My own favorite thing to do with whiskey is make eggnog. But that's probably what over in Star Wars Community (NB: not JCC) would be called an "unpopular opinion." :p I typically only make the stuff around New Year's Eve or so anyway. But IIRC it's a summer drink in the Little House books...

And I'm home sick from work again, feeling even more miserable than yesterday. On the day of our big company lunch, too. And I have a dentist appointment scheduled for this afternoon. Blearghh! :(

12. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Findswoman: Sorry to hear about your cold. Have you tried that remedy I described?

By the way, today is Harry Potter's 34th birthday!

13. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I visited the Jack Daniel's distillery a couple times. It is in a dry county so alcohol can't be sold in the town, but the locals are allowed to put booze in food. There were whiskey burgers, whiskey ice cream, whiskey cake. I discovered whiskey can go with anything.

14. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Goodwood, if it turns out I have the ingredients, I'll probably make some later tonight before I go to bed.

So at the company lunch today, the topic of martial arts came up. I mentioned training with my black-belt husband, and a coworker seemed to be trying to tell me that you don't really need martial arts to fight effectively, because after all, you can always just give someone a good hard kick in the solar plexus or bean them with a tire iron, right? I told him he was welcome to try hitting the Findshusband with a tire iron, but that it would not end well for him.

(I mean, of course if you have to fight someone, you'd rather not fight someone with a tire iron, but if you're a practiced enough martial artist—which I'm not yet but the FH is—you can anticipate an attack and deflect it as it's being made, at least to a certain extent.)

15. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Or you could use the Force and dodge every attack until the attacker tires themselves out. ;)

16. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Hope you get feeling better Findswoman!

I forgot you can bake some nummy stuff with hard-alcohol. My friend's mom makes the best brandy cake. I was just going to give the whisky to my grandfather if I didn't like it, but perhaps if I don't care for it I'll save it for Christmas baking (I probably will anyways because I do not drink that much even if I do like something).

17. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Here's some more metal for you metal-heads out there! \m/

18. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    \m/ (>0<) \m/

Tested out the battling style of Pepita the shiny Arcanine. She's super awesome! A couple of her moves have recoil damage, so I gave her an item to replenish HP. She's also very cute in Amie. She'll wag her tail and hop around. X3

Pepita will join Xizor and Guri on Team Black Sun.

Goodwood and Kahara like this.
  19. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    So I was at my local county fair last night. I regret taking a look at the photography contest entries. Not only did they introduce an entirely new set of categories for cell phone photography, separate from otherwise identical categories for real cameras, but cell phone photos had their own separate "best in show" award. But that wasn't the worst part. No, the worst part was that the cell phone contest included a category not on any of the other "real" sets of categories:

[​IMG]

Yes. That is a "selfie" category. :oops:

The fair has sunk to a new low.

20. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I weep for the future of art.

I think my town's fair-type deal is on this weekend. I usually never go, even though cripples get in for free. If I do go it's for the mini-donuts.

Figured out my spider problem. My door doesn't close all the way. There's like a gap between the door and the frame at the bottom. Hopefully I can figure out a cheap solution with some weather-stripping.

21. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    That's not even a good selfie. I've taken better selfies.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  22. K'Tai qel Letta-Tanku

K'Tai qel Letta-Tanku Jedi Grand Master star 3

Apr 18, 2000
    I've only had whiskey in a whiskey sour, but those are pretty good. If I'm out and can't get an apricot brandy sour, a whiskey sour is what I will order.

And yea on the driving lesson! Good luck tomorrow.

Findswoman: Hope you feel better soon!

Kids are with their grandparents escaping the heat and husband is out of town on business, so I have the house to myself this week. It's been nice, but also a reminder of how much my family life keeps my work life from taking over.

Findswoman likes this.
  23. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    See that second place ribbon? It was the only entry. The judges have the right to refuse to award a first place ribbon in a category if they deem that no entry is of sufficient technical merit to qualify for a first place ribbon. (Having said that, my photo of the selfie was taken with my cell phone using digital zoom, so that probably makes it look crappier than it actually is.)

Which raises the question: exactly what criteria do you use to judge a selfie? (This is a rhetorical question.)

24. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    K'Tai qel Letta-Tanku, I guess that means you're back from Hawaii? Hope that was a great trip, and have a great time with the house to yourself! I love love LOVE that feeling, though I haven't had it much thus far. :)

25. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Well, I would take into account dynamic lighting, angle, pose, anything in the background... stuff that would make the selfie unique. If the person were dressed as the Joker with a Joker smile, that'd make the selfie more unique. Add lighting from below to emphasize features and it'd add more to the image.

One can be quite creative with a selfie. For my author article on SWFanon, the pic I used was a selfie. I wanted it to look neat, so I hid myself behind the xenomorph head piece. It made the image a bit more dynamic than I would've gotten with a regular pic. Just because your phone needs to be within reach doesn't mean you're limited to duckface.

( o3o)——/3

...I guess that sort of looks like a smiley taking a selfie...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.