main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion You Know You're a Fan Fiction Writer When...

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Dev_Binks, Jul 29, 2004.

1. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    ...when your muse is once again alive and well for RPs, but if you dare to put pen to paper, it shrivels up and dies.

rargleflargle

Kahara, Goodwood and Admiral Volshe like this.
  2. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    ...when you find yourself up to your eyeballs in TVTropes, looking for the most obscure yet easily identified trope you can find for the specific purpose of deconstructing, subverting, and/or lampshading.

3. ThreadSketch

ThreadSketch Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2013
    You win my Internet prize for the day. :D[face_party]

4. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Awesome! What did I win? :D

...when you spend fifteen minutes racking your brains for a unique addition to this thread (I can't be the only one to have made this observation).

jcgoble3 likes this.
  5. ThreadSketch

Dec 22, 2013
    Uhhhhh...

[​IMG]

...E-brownies? [face_blush]

Goodwood likes this.
  6. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    I'll take those...

...mmmm, they're so warm and chocolaty and delicious...nom nom nom!

7. ThreadSketch

Dec 22, 2013
    I remember way back in the days of the old JC boards that the usual prize was E-baklava. Never figured out why. :p

Random Comments likes this.
  8. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard FFoF Artist Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Nov 22, 1999
    ....you find your thesaurus in the kitchen because you were writing while fixing dinner. (Good thing I was just making rice to go with the chicken in the pressure cooker, so nothing got burned. :) )

9. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Raissa Baiard, I've done that kind of thing too. I've also done it at work (!) on my iPhone using (and perhaps overusing) the Notes app. À propos of which...

YKYAFFWW you're having trouble keeping track of (a) the "Notes" on your mobile device where you work on stories and snippets, and (b) the e-mails of stories and snippets that you send to yourself from your main computer so that you can copy them into "Notes." And especially when you're loath to delete any of said notes or e-mails you come across for fear of losing something important. (Whew! That was confusing, wasn't it? :D )

EDIT: And the silly thing is, I wouldn't have to do any of that self-e-mailing business if I could just get the hang of the whole iCloud account business. For a while notes were showing up right in my e-mail inbox, but I can't remember how to make that happen again.

Admiral Volshe likes this.
  10. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    Findswoman ... Levels of trust: hard copy + 5, email file to self + 3, iCloud - 2. Do clouds break down, have truncation issues, run out of ... steam? We don't know yet :confused:

Goodwood likes this.
  11. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    I lol'd.

That's why I cross-post my fanfics in addition to saving them to hard drives...and as I learned last fall to my cost, hard drives do break.

pronker likes this.
  12. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Oh, the self-e-mailing isn't about backing up, which I've already got taken care of. It's more about getting the stories onto my phone so I can work on them even in places where I can't or don't want to bring my laptop. But it still sometimes results in an annoying proliferation of versions. If I could figure out how to make Notes work for me better, it might not.

pronker likes this.
  13. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    This is the sole reason why I work with a hard copy first. i can take it anywhere and work on it at my leisure. Generally, I keep a notebook by my bed.

14. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    When you want to do a fan fic crossover between a series and a profile series that you're planning in your head. Or when you are working on crossovers or a fic where you mix fandoms up like Pokemon Characters taking the place of the characters of the Star Wars Universe or Star Wars Characters taking the place of the Pokemon characters and you can't decide which characters would fit in which roles.

*slaps away plot bunny for Star Wars characters in the roles of Pokemon characters*

Never seeming to have enough time to do everything.

Do you guys think that Luke and Obi-Wan would fit well into the roles of Ash Ketchup and Professor Oak?

*bangs head on keyboard*

15. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Yes. Yes they would. Obi-Oak gives Luke Ketchum a new Pokémon.

16. Grade

Grade Jedi Master star 1

Jan 17, 2013
    When you almost going on vacation and you try to backup all your files and notes on evernote, all ready for the Internet at the hotel be not as reliableand avoid the case you need to go to hallway to get one internet bar on your ipad or laptop. :)

Admiral Volshe and pronker like this.
  17. Lady_Misty

Mar 21, 2007

Not you too! :p

If you want the plot bunny you can have it.

TrakNar and Findswoman like this.
  18. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    You're honestly surprised by all this? ;) I mean, look at all the Pokémon art she's drawn... :D

19. Lady_Misty

Mar 21, 2007
    I like fanart but I don't usually go looking for it Goodwood

20. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    YKYAFFWW...

...you considered writing by firelight/flashlight while camping.

...you considered drawing pics of your characters camping by firelight/flashlight.

pronker and jcgoble3 like this.
  21. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Someone's bored. ;)

22. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I prefer the term "inspired."

23. Theodore Hawkwood

Theodore Hawkwood Jedi Master star 2

Jun 17, 2014
    You wonder how to adapt songs you here on the radio to whatever fanfiction universe you happen to be thinking of.

24. amidalachick

amidalachick FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 5 VIP - Game Host

Aug 3, 2003
    And to help you decide, you come up with a list of personality traits and relationships for each character to see who would be the best match. You know you've figured it out when you find (some very amusing) canon examples from both fandoms of characters acting like the characters you've 'cast' them as. :D

jcgoble3, Lady_Misty, pronker and 2 others like this.
  25. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    OK, folks... my boss just gave us one last opportunity to tweak our bios, and I actually have the opportunity to put this in (as "writing very esoteric Star Wars fan fiction"). Should I do it or not?