main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A Cynical Walk Through the NJO

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Cynical_Ben, Aug 17, 2013.

1. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    Tbh I think the Jacen/Anakin characterization swap is a fair criticism but you have to decide if it's worth it to you to let some YA books by KJA break the whole series.

Revanfan1 and Riv_Shiel like this.
  2. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    you know, if you're really going to pick nits about the characterization of characters at the age of what, 11 or 13, not being consistent with those same characters at 14 and 16, like if that really bothers you so much you're still complaining about it now

then why the hell are you still reading Star Wars after JINO? or even Darth Luke, as I will now refer to Denningverse Luke

3. _Catherine_

Jun 16, 2007
    Well Jacen's personality changed off-screen in the five years between books you see but Crisis at Crystal Reef was only like a week before Vector Prime. R.A. Salvatore should have started each chapter of his book with a joke from YJK.

4. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Its not breaking the whole series for me. Just a complain I have about NJO Jacon that I wanted to air.

Hej, hej, no reason to sound so aggressive. I found out about the NJO story around, what, two-three years ago you know and right now I am actually more interested in the Bantam books then the later once.

I thought this was the thread for discussing the NJO and I hope that was what I was doing. Discussing decisions and characterisations [face_peace]

:eek:
    I thought it was atleast one year IU between them

5. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Jacen took a summer school course on philosophy

the end

whiskers likes this.
  6. _Catherine_

Jun 16, 2007
    Do you have an Internet Archive link to Leland confirming that on his blog?

7. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    Back when the NJO first came out, it annoyed me that the Republic had gone full circle back to the prequels - I noticed it much more than any "prequelization" among Jedi. But it's grown on me.

Can't speak for him, but in my case? Because unlike in LOTF or FOTJ, the government isn't corrupt for no apparent reason or just to give the good guys an authority figure to heroically rebel against. It's actually leading somewhere; there's a payoff in terms of the good guys sitting down and talking about what shape the new order should have to prevent this kind of thing from happening again, and ending up with a redesigned New Republic, a redesigned Jedi Order and a redesigned relationship between the two.

And the reason it actually works really well for me, especially in light of the prequels, is that it addresses a glaring flaw in the Rebel Alliance generation's way of handling things. Leia and the others never actually sat down and thought about things like we saw the guys in the NJO doing - their ideas are pretty much limited to "restore the Republic." At the time, it was fine, because all we had to go on was the OT. But it ends up being a big problem in light of the prequels, where it turns out that there's a reason the Old Republic went to pieces. (It's not just the fact that it was turned into an Empire - it was already a dysfunctional fustercluck before that). If you're going to set up a new democratic government and actually expect it to last, it's not enough to just knock off the Empire - you have to figure out how you're going to address the problems that made the old government fall apart in the first place, too.

So, the fact that the Republic 25 years after Yavin looks exactly like it did 25 years before Yavin turns out not to be just random - it's the normal consequence of the Alliance to Restore the Republic not planning for anything other than, well, restoring the Republic. And it's not some immutable law of the universe; the moral isn't "government bad, politicians bad, don't trust them!" The good guys meet in Destiny's Way and admit that, okay, we do need to sit down and think about how we're going to do things better. (Too much corruption in the Republic? Set up checks and balances, a stronger executive so the Senate doesn't have a monopoly on power. Too many people - not without reason - afraid and distrustful of the Jedi? Set up a Council that'll be the interface between them and all the different branches of the elected government, which means oversight and accountability. It also keeps the Jedi in constant contact with a bunch of people outside the Order, which makes it harder for one person to isolate them like Palps did, and at least partly coutneracts their ivory tower tendencies in the prequels). Would the things suggested in the books solve all the problems they're trying to address? Maybe, maybe not (no real life reform has ever solved everything either) - but who cares? They're actually acknowledging the problem and working to fix it! For my money, we didn't see nearly enough of that in Star Wars.

8. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Can you/anybody expand on this? What is it the problem the common troops have with Jaina?

9. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I don't think they have a problem with her, per se, I just think they might've been worried she got her position in Rogue Squadron because of her mother's political standing, not because of Jaina's own skills. She proved them wrong, and then they got along fine.

JediMatteus likes this.
  10. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Or, y'know, because her last name is Solo.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  11. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Aha, I see.

12. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    They just wanted to make it clear that your not to special to be dressed down. funny thing is, she became an elitist when they treated her like a Goddess, when she protrayed the trickster

13. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    She acted like an elitist, she didn't become one.

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  14. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    but she was purposely enabled to be such by the Jedi/New Republic etc.

15. JechtShotMK9

JechtShotMK9 Jedi Master star 1

Dec 27, 2013
    Edit: IGNORE ME!!!!

16. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I'm very disappointed that you posted in the wrong thread.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  17. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013

This is the NJO thread, not the X-Wing thread. :p

18. JechtShotMK9

JechtShotMK9 Jedi Master star 1

Dec 27, 2013
    Gah!!! I favorited both of these, and clicked the wrong one. Oh, the shame....

19. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I was really looking forward to talking about the NJO again.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

20. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Well pick a topic. Any topic!

21. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013

Me too. :p

22. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    we saw what happened last time

I lost the will to live like Padme

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  23. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I want to talk about the NJO. More than anything else in Star Wars, it's the one thing that I've kept consistently revising my opinion to be higher of.

Revanfan1 and Force Smuggler like this.
  24. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Yeah, the NJO is one of the things in the Expanded Universe that has a depth to it which permits continued substantial discussion even over a decade after its conclusion. I think that allows it to retain its relevance despite its "Legends" status; it was born to be a legend.

Riv_Shiel and Revanfan1 like this.
  25. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Anyone know any good NJO fan-fic stories? I've seen a couple but what else is there?