main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

San Diego, CA Star Wars Rebels - Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by DarthBrian, Oct 4, 2014.

1. DarthBrian

DarthBrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    [​IMG]

So the first episode "Spark of Rebellion" aired.

It was...

...okay? *shrug*

I dunno.

I liked it but it wasn't great like I was hoping. It's certainly not as good as Clone Wars was. Though first few episodes of Clone Wars weren't great either and it got a lot better. It's Star Wars so I'll keep watching it of course and hope it gets better like Clone Wars did.

The main problem for me I guess is the animation isn't nearly as good as Clone Wars. It feels like Disney is cheaping out on the animation because it's on TV. But after how good Clone Wars looked, especially in its last couple seasons, it's disappointing for the animation quality to take this big a nosedive. For example, the Wookiees in Clone Wars looked WAY better than the Wookiees in Rebels.

I do like the characters so far. Hera is the better of the two mains, even though Freddie Prinze Jr. does a decent job trying to not sound like himself, which I appreciate. Steve Blum as Zeb is also really good. Ezra isn't too annoying yet.

And the last complaint I have is gonna sound like bias, and perhaps it is, but even though Rebels is canon, it sure seems like fan fiction to me. The opening shot is an homage to the Star Destroyer going overhead at the beginning of Episode IV.

(Slight aside: I really didn't like the Star Destroyer flying into the atmosphere on that planet. It felt so cheesy. Especially since Star Destroyers don't typically do stuff like that. Especially if they're only there to pick up a few crates of weapons. They could stay in orbit while they sent a shuttle down to pick up those weapons. The only reason they did it was to recreate that opening of Epsiode IV and make it look cool to have a Star Destroyer sitting there over that city. It was completely out of place and really pissed me off. >_< )

Then there was stuff they put in just to tie it in to Star Wars as a whole. Calling a camp of refugees "Tarkin Town" because Tarkin kicked them off of their farms and stuff so the Empire has more real estate or something like that was silly. Then when we see Obi-Wan Kenobi's message in Kanan's holocron he says "A New Hope" that felt completely like a wink and a nod to the fans. Stuff like that is just so out of place it really put me off.

But other than that, it was okay. >_>

2. jawajames

jawajames Former RSA // stawars.com contributor star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP

Apr 26, 2002
    Calling it Tarkintown is a reference to the historical Hoovervilles that sprang up as people were displaced by the economy during the Depression under President Hoover. but i agree with the 'a new hope' nod at the end. still i had a lot of fun watching it. Zeb i think is my favorite.

3. jawajames

Apr 26, 2002
    looks like they are adding an extra scene with Vader for the airing on ABC at the end of the month...

4. Lord_Dubi

Lord_Dubi Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    *Vader spoiler alert, lol. But generally I like where Rebels is going, the first episode successfully built the team dynamic of the characters we will be following throughout the series. Hera is the best so far for me, followed by Zeb.

Loved the "hairless Wookiee" joke, as a nod to McQuarrie's concept for Chewie—and the McQuarrie art influence throughout the show. I'm still not fully on board with this animation wise yet, they took a few steps back from what they developed for The Clone Wars; but it's another animation team, so we will see. It took me a while to get used to the Clone Wars style, but when I did, I loved it; so maybe it will be the same with Rebels.

5. Dune_Sea_Hermit

Dune_Sea_Hermit Jedi Master star 1

Apr 30, 2002
    Finally watched it. It was okay. I agree that it looks cheap compared to Clone Wars.

In the opening scene, I kept waiting for Aladd-, er, Ezra, to sing "One Jump Ahead." Has "street rat" been added to the drinking game?

I hated the depiction, design and animation of the Wookiees.

6. Lord_Dubi

Sep 3, 2012
    I'm not that impressed with episode 2 so far...it looks cheaper

7. jawajames

Apr 26, 2002
    Fighter Flight was a fun episode, though it makes Zeb seem more like a teenaged older brother than the grumpy adult we've seen previously.

8. Lord_Dubi

Sep 3, 2012
    Fighter Fligh was fun, I agree. Rise of the Old Masters is getting better...the show still feels like its made for a much younger audience than Clone Wars was.

9. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    I had a lot of feels about Rise of the Old Masters.

10. jawajames

Apr 26, 2002
    did you see the IGN interview where Filoni confirmed that the holo of Luminara in the prison was actually her last few moments before being executed?

11. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    YES. THAT DID NOT HELP.

12. jawajames

Apr 26, 2002
    no comments on 'Breaking Ranks' anyone?

13. DarthBrian

Apr 9, 2002
    If that was the Stormtrooper Academy episode, I think it's the best episode of the season so far.

14. jawajames

Apr 26, 2002
    tonight's episode is Empire Day.

15. Lord_Dubi

Sep 3, 2012
    Why don't they post the episodes on starwars.com the following day or so like they used to with clone wars?

16. DarthBrian

Apr 9, 2002
    Catching up on the series. Been behind for a while.

Episode 5 - Out of Darkness - Terrible episode. Bad writing, bad animation, bad jokes. Why didn't they just use the turbolasers on those towers to shoot the asteroids away from the direction of the sun? Terrible episode. I felt stupider just for watching it.