main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

We're All Fine Here, Thanks. How Are You? - The FanFic Social Thread

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by mavjade , Aug 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
  2. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    Chyntuck likes this.
  3. ThreadSketch

ThreadSketch Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2013
    I'm amused at all the near-winter talk; I can empathize. Mom's getting the old snow tires put on tomorrow (we have a little Ford Ranger that is NOT a 4x4...it's totally a Texas truck [face_blush]), even though the studs are all worn down past nubs and the ice laughs at them. Weeeeeeee... [/not]

Because I'm a bus commuter, I have to dress hardcore for the weather. I have an apocalyptic parka and wear a neon orange reflective mesh vest over it, then I carry a LED flashlight with the size and brightness of a car headlight, put ice cleats on my boots, and am now armed with a pair of ski poles from Goodwill to keep my balance because - natch - the bus stops are NEVER cleaned and always wind up buried in giant hardpack snow drifts, and there are no street lights at the stop either. Traffic doesn't like to wait for pedestrians around here, hence the overkill on making myself noticeable.

So, this is basically me going to work:

[​IMG]

4. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Sounds like what I should dress for this winter when I make treks into town.

5. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    I would just about kill for an Echo Base Rebel Trooper outfit that kept the design as well as keeping the cold out. I think it's going to be another bad one here in SE Michigan.

Chyntuck likes this.
  6. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I'm going to take a walk down to the store while still partially in costume. No mask, but I'll have the hood up and my Batman jacket on.

Hypno with a Batman jacket.

Seems legit.

Chyntuck likes this.
  7. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    I'm kind of wondering how the cold weather is going to work with my son's costume tomorrow evening. He does have a nice little black hoodie that I guess he could slip on over his black suit jacket...? Said hoodie is getting slightly small on him now, though.

The Findshusband, however, with his Big Bad Wolf Hat, will be quite literally covered.

EDIT: It turned out he decided to wear his admiral's hat (think Horatio Hornblower). But he's still covered.

Chyntuck likes this.
  8. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    It's sad when you cosplay as a Pokémon and no one knows which Pokémon you are because kids these days are all about the fifth and sixth generations and no one remembers the first generation from nearly twenty years ago.

Chyntuck and Gamiel like this.
  9. K'Tai qel Letta-Tanku

K'Tai qel Letta-Tanku Jedi Grand Master star 3

Apr 18, 2000
    Oh don't mistake the it's going to be 90 for complaint...or at least not much of one. It's down right balmy compared to what it has been. ;)

10. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    So, my Halloween got off to a very gory start. We were carving pumpkins this evening. None of us exactly had the time or the patience to do anything spectacular (I always forget exactly how hard carving pumpkins are until it is actually done) so we were just doing boring faces. Anyways, briannasis was finished first so she was outside putting up cobwebs, leaving her boyfriend and I to finish. We were carving along and suddenly he goes "OH MY GOD. DID YOU CUT OFF YOUR THUMB?" I knew I had nicked myself but it didn't feel that bad so I had just got up to get a smaller knife. I look down and my thumb is just covered in blood and its dripping on the floor. So then the briannasis comes rushing in and turns pale. I'm like really you two? Tis but a flesh wound (BF found this funny, the briannasis didn't get the reference). I washed it up and it really isn't that bad. It's just on the knuckle so it bled a lot.

Then the former Bridezilla and I went to Gone Girl. The movie was REALLLY BAD, but it was nice to hang out with her while she wasn't freaking out about life.

K'Tai qel Letta-Tanku likes this.
  11. Gemma

Gemma Jedi Master star 4

Dec 25, 2013

Since I am a former archer --- I want that nice fold up compound bow the Arrow carries.

12. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Why am I posting here at 9:45 AM? I'm normally sound asleep in bed at this hour, to the point that not even my cell phone ringing two feet from my ear can wake me up.

What happened was that I shut my alarm off at 12:30 PM yesterday, went to the bathroom, sat back down on my bed... and collapsed onto the pillow and slept until 3:00 PM. Oops. I guess my five-hour marathon writing session Wednesday night in which I killed multiple lead OCs took more out of me than I thought. :p The result was that when I tried to go to bed at 4:30 AM this morning, my body said "screw you, I'm wide awake and staying that way". So I shut everything down and decided to read a book, thinking that I'd eventually doze off. I finished the book at 5:15 (it was a junior novel, connected to Rebels), and was still wide awake. So I picked up another Rebels junior novel and read it. When I finished that one at 6:15 and was still wide awake, I decided that since I have to be up at 9:00 AM sharp tomorrow, I would just skip sleep tonight and stay up all night.

So about an hour ago, I made my first ever visit to Tim Hortons for breakfast. I had the maple sausage, egg, and cheese flatbread panini. Pretty good, and between that and the hash brown, it filled me up. Now I have to figure out how to spend the rest of my morning. So far, I've been tweaking the post I wrote Wednesday night, but there's gotta be a better way to spend mornings, right? :p

13. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Welcome to the Altered Cycle, mate. Have fun trying to get your biorhythm back over the next...week and a half. ;) :p :sympathy:

Chyntuck and jcgoble3 like this.
  14. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    I'm guessing I'll fall back into my normal cycle of going to bed around 2 to 3 AM and waking up around noon on Sunday night/Monday morning. It rarely takes me more than a day or two to regain my natural cycle.

Like I said, I have to be up at 9 ****ing AM tomorrow (Saturday) so I can make the 45-minute drive to Kings Island and be at the gate before it opens at 10:30. Then sometime that afternoon, I have to go check into my hotel, then be in bed early enough to be up at 8 ****ing AM to check out, go to a group breakfast, then be at the Kings Island gates before 10:30 again. Then I won't leave the park until it closes for the year at 7 PM, at which point I get in the car and head home, hopefully being home around 8 PM, at which point adrenaline from riding thrill rides all day will probably keep me perky until after midnight.

Of course I'm going to be doing all of this in 40°F temperatures. Trick-or-treat tonight will be my test of how warm my clothing choices are, though I can't simulate the wind chill from a 68 MPH front seat ride on the Banshee roller coaster. :p

Goodwood likes this.
  15. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Time to break out the thermal underwear then, jcgoble3.

16. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard Chosen One star 4

Nov 22, 1999
    Yesterday, the Youngling brought home a word search she'd done at school. One row started with the letters W A N. In the margin in front of them, she'd written "Obi-" [face_laugh] Yep, that's my girl!

And, because you asked for it, here's a very preliminary sketch of Twi'lek Sparkle. It turned out better than I thought (though not at TrakNar level :) ), but I'm afraid that once I try to add color, it won't look good. Anyway, here you go....
    [​IMG][​IMG]

17. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    Thermal underwear is just the beginning. I'm planning the following layers:

Bottoms, from inside out:
    • Regular underwear
    • Thermal underpants
    • Workout sweat pants
    • Water-repellent fleece pants
    Tops, from inside out:
    • Thermal undershirt
    • Warm long-sleeve shirt
    • Kings Island hoodie
    • GateKeeper jacket (GateKeeper is a coaster at Cedar Point)
    • Holiday World raincoat, if necessary
    I just need to find something warm for my dome, since I know the hoods on the hoodie and raincoat probably won't be enough. But once I solve that problem, I ought to be nice and toasty. [face_coffee] (That's hot chocolate; I don't drink coffee. :p)

Chyntuck likes this.
  18. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Yeah, that thing's pretty great!

Gemma likes this.
  19. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Hahaha, that's actually really cute, Raissa Baiard! You've got the look going pretty well, even for a rough sketch.

20. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    So I mentioned that I needed a good winter hat? I realized I also needed a light pair of gloves that would allow me enough dexterity to pick up individual pieces of candy, so I went shopping in the rain.

Score!
    [​IMG]

Absolutely perfect fit. And yes, you're reading the price tag correctly: the set only cost me three bucks. Best part is that I had a rebate card from a purchase last month, so I didn't have to pay a penny out of pocket. [face_dancing][face_party]

I think I'm prepared for tonight and this weekend. :D

Chyntuck and Goodwood like this.
  21. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Good job man, you have fun now!

jcgoble3 likes this.
  22. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    There was snow on my lawn when I came home! Noooooooooo!

23. TheChosenSolo

TheChosenSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 2011
    The weather is always mellow here. Maybe a couple inches of snow all winter, temperatures rarely drop below 25 degrees, but in the summers the temperature is rarely higher than 80 or so. The problem is I'm still dispositioned toward California weather, so it always feels cold to me.

24. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    Anakin Solo Revanchist, I am jealous of your weather. I would love to have that type of weather. But no, I'm stuck with the crap they call Ohio weather. :p

25. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    We've got a high wind advisory going here. Supposed to be especially dangerous considering that most of the leaves are still on the trees.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.