main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming NEW CHALLENGERS APPROACHING: Super Smash Bros. [Ultimate]

Discussion in 'Community' started by darklordoftech, Jul 31, 2013.

1. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Ah, that familiar sensation of addiction, glory and frustration. I like all the control schemes too. I thought the Wii version had had quite a few (Gamecube, Wiimote and Classic), but this has all of those and more (Gamepad and the 3DS). Forgot how much using the Gamecube controller joystick hurt my left thumb (though that's probably due to my mediocre skill anyway). In a way, the 3DS is a bit easier to use, though Gamecube remains the standard of course.

Still tinkering around with stuff, such as leveling up my Amiibo. Only bought a Mario so far, might pick up a Donkey Kong or Link one later for variety, and of course Mega Man. Haven't tried an 8 man brawl yet, that sounds too tough for me. I'm still barely defeating lvl 9 CPU opponents in regular smash. But Final Destination looks awesome... and blinding. The 3DS version was quite good too of course, but now this is the true Super Smash Bros.

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Well I would suggest a lower level CPU setting for 8-man brawl ;).

[​IMG]

There is a lot of content to go through- I, too, have only scratched the surface. Still focusing on trying to unlock all the characters.

The one thing I find most interesting is just how differently I play the game with the GCN controller vs the 3DS. The moves you can easily pull off on the 3DS are basically the opposite of what you can do with the GCN. For instance, on the 3DS, it's a lot easier to use Mega Man's slide rather than his cyclone spin attack. With a GCN controller, I'm pulling the spin off effortlessly but have to try harder to pull off a slide.

Also, all these years and I always sorta ignored the c-stick in this game. Finally taking advantage of it helps pull off other moves as well.

[​IMG]
    "And the man in the back said everyone attack and it turned into a ballroom blitz!"

[​IMG]
    "Ballroom blitz!"

EDIT- GCN Adaptors sold out everywhere, online prices jump to $90.

Knew that was going to happen- when Best Buy told me they were only taking preorders on the game and not the adaptor ("I'm sure we'll have plenty of adaptors") I went right to Gamestop to preorder them there instead.

I mean, Duh, they were going to sell out.

3. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    Ohh… I still got two more days before it comes out in my region! I did manage to preorder the GCN Adaptor bundle and haven't worked out yet which Amiibo shall be my first.

How are you finding the detailing on the figures?

4. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm no action figure critic but I think they're pretty detailed. Love Samus's chrome look (btw, apparently there's a Samus misprint that gave her two arm cannons- now I want dual wielding Samus to be a real thing in the games, heh).

Grabbed DK, Yoshi & Fox the other day as well. Lots of Pikachu, Kirby and Peach on the shelves. Mario, DK, Link and Samus have the most shelf space so ample stock. Fox and Yoshi seem lower in stock. Can't find Villager or Trainer anywhere yet but I'm not looking hardcore yet.

Also I tried using the GamePad to play tonight and it's basically like using the 3DS but with sticks. Once I customized the controls it plays fine (Y=special attack, B=attack, X & A = jump is the only change I needed to make) though I still prefer GCN controllers.

Corellian_Outrider likes this.
  5. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    I saw that Samus and the article was "Defective Samus"… how is that defective? That would be awesome! Though someone commented that they thought it was 'Detective Samus' which… could be an interesting game concept.

I'm glad they are quite detailed and sounds like the quality is there. I've been studying the lineup and I'm leaning towards Samus, Fox, Yoshi or Link…. I want them all but can't yet... Argh… Still got till Saturday to work it out when I pick up the game :p

I was curious about how it felt with the GamePad and whether it is similar to the GCN or not. I find myself cautious with how I play on the 3DS though with the sticks I can go all out without the fear of damaging the circle pad like I keep hearing people doing to their system… though still unsure how that happens unless they play very rough. I'll give it a go but probably stick to my Wavebird.

6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    With the GP (and Pro) you don't have to hold back on the sticks- but, like with the GCN controller, while it's easier to pull of Smash attacks, I find myself pulling off different moves than the 3DS more often.

7. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    Okay, it is exactly a day since I've booted it up Smash Bros. U/GCN bundle… I love it.

First up, so good to bring the Wavebird out of retirement. Took a little bit to get back into the swing of things again. I ended up getting Samus Aran's amiibo and been levelling her up. I also connected my 3DS to the Wii U version to transfer over the Mii Fighters. Fun seeing Captain Jack Sparrow and Lando Calrissian joining the fray on the big screen.

So far I've been trying the different modes and there is so much content that sometimes I am not sure which mode to try next. Smash Tour takes a bit to get used to it and same with the setup for Classic. 8 player brawl is awesome. I do love some of the new levels, especially the Star Fox Orbital Gate. GamePad does the job well enough too.

8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah I played one round of Tour but haven't been able to hit all the other modes yet except for the Trophy Rush. Haven't had time to connect my 3DS (want to level up some of my custom characters more before I transfer them over) or start working on my Amiibos either.

9. TheChosenSolo

TheChosenSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 2011
    Now I really wish I had a Wii U. :p

Anybody with the 3DS version know who to defeat to get the challenge on the second page? It reads "Defeat ???"

10. The Shadow Emperor

The Shadow Emperor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 29, 2012
    Defeat Master Core. Just set the difficulty to 5.6 and take the purple path at the very end.

11. TheChosenSolo

TheChosenSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 2011
    Boom. Marth is awesome :p Thank you!

12. Darth Xalfrea

Darth Xalfrea Jedi Master star 4

Jan 2, 2013
    Finally got the 3DS version, and so far I'm enjoying it immensely. Tried one round of Classic, everything of Stadium, Smash Run, standard Smash, All-Star, and Trophy Hoard with Mario, and unlocked Falco, Wario and Ness.

Controls are fluid and work fine, though after being used to playing Smash with a Wiimote it needs some getting used to. Nothing much else to say, it's a blast so far. Funnily I checked my 3DS activity log. Only played Smash once, and it's already shot up to my number one on "average play time".

13. kubricklynch

kubricklynch Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 10, 2012
    This game is so addicting! Smash Tour is a bit weird though.

Getting to work on these challenges.

14. The Shadow Emperor

Sep 29, 2012
    I'm never going to beat this damn game.

15. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    Just like Melee and Brawl… just gonna have to chip away at it over the years and eventually you unlock majority of the content.

Also picked up a Link amiibo. I love the detailing they are putting into them, even has the stitching on the cap. Fox McCloud or Yoshi will probably be my next one.

16. Darth Xalfrea

Jan 2, 2013
    Maximillian Dood, resident YT fighting game guru, has started Assist Me on Smash, with a first video talking about basics and advanced techniques.

May need to watch this multiple times actually. If there is one thing I am REALLY, and I mean REALLY, bad at when it comes to fighting games and Smash in particular, it's defending.

17. The Shadow Emperor

Sep 29, 2012
  18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Huh, I guess we've been funneling the smaller updates to the Wii U thread, cause obviously there's been a bunch of DLC released over the past few months- MewTwo, Lucas, Ryu & Roy, plus various stages and Mii Fighter costume sets.

And now, a new Mario Maker stage coming out Sept 30th:

19. Darth Xalfrea

Jan 2, 2013
    Me personally, the only DLC I got for my version of the 3DS game are the characters (plus Ryu's stage). Costumes I may or may not get, and the stages so far are just the N64 ones.

This one I'll definitely be getting though.

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I've gotten all the characters and stages but only a few select costumes (Splatoon and the Mega Man ones for the Mii Gunner).

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  22. The Shadow Emperor

Sep 29, 2012
    Well yeah, Sakurai already said "several" more characters beyond the first 4 would be getting in and that all of them would be fanservice. I don't know why y'all are all acting surprised at this.

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It's interesting to have confirmation of a hard number.

24. Darth Xalfrea

Jan 2, 2013
    Hard numbers always make things better. But yeah, good stuff coming in the future.

Downloaded the 3DS update, and was happy that the Duck Hunt stage is now in 3DS.

25. sharkymcshark

sharkymcshark Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 12, 2013
    Finally got around to playing this in the last few weeks (got it for Christmas last year but then my WiiU Gamepad went AWOL for ten months).

I'm so garbage at online mode. I play the 1v1 For Glory, because no items/final destination/1v1 was how I played with mates when we were massive obsessed with Smash Melee about a decade ago. 15% win rate. I main Captain Falcon and occasionally Falco. What am I doing wrong? What should I be doing?